Men vs Mizzou Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Jabari has issues with the dribble drive. He’s good at backing the defender in, but often loses the ball when dribbling forward through traffic. He has an awkward dribble. That is his biggest negative. Is that what you see as well?

He has issues dribbling the length of the floor, I think he has shown he's capable of taking two or three from the wing/high-post and making a move. I'd like to see more of it, at least show it occasionally to get the defense to give you a bit more room. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Don't kid yourselves about Mizzou. They are a Xavier Pinson away from having a winning season and knocking on the door of an NCAA bid. LSU has fallen off without the injured Pinson as well.

We don't have to build up a not good team to excuse a close win. We didn't play our best game, it's ok. We survived with a W and can move on, but Mizzouri is not good. They lost to Kansas by 40, Kentucky by 30, and Illinois by 25. They aren't uga bad, but they are more than one guy away from being good. 

• Like 3

We played very poor. Still got a win on the road. I'll take it. We shot 30% from the field, 21% from three. We only had 11 FTA. I don't really buy into "trap" games, I think every game is important in respect to what we want to do, but Missouri was after UK and before Oklahoma. We were probably still taking in the #1 ranking, and enjoying that win over UK.

Oklahoma next.

19-1!

Kobe Brown is one of those North Alabama guys that we missed out on not recruiting North Alabama the way we need to

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Kobe Brown is one of those North Alabama guys that we missed out on not recruiting North Alabama the way we need to

Heard that dude's name all night. 

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Quick question on rankings….Tex AM lost last night. With our head to head win against KY, are we at least three games up on all SEC teams?

Unfortunately there is no tie-breaker in the basketball. We're 2 games up on KY but if we lose two and they win out we would be co-champions like it was when we tied with TN despite beating them.

The only thing head-to-head affects is tournament seeding. If we tie with KY we would be the 1 seed and they would be the 2 seed.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mike2686 said:

We played very poor. Still got a win on the road. I'll take it. We shot 30% from the field, 21% from three. We only had 11 FTA. I don't really buy into "trap" games, I think every game is important in respect to what we want to do, but Missouri was after UK and before Oklahoma. We were probably still taking in the #1 ranking, and enjoying that win over UK.

Oklahoma next.

19-1!

I disagree with this narrative that we played very poor. We played great defense all night. Held them well below their average at home, out rebounded them by 10 and 23-7 on offensive rebounds, only had 10 turnovers,  had 18 more shot attempts, and held them to equally terrible shooting percentages. We had a terrible night shooting the ball. We could have played better, sure, but this group was engaged and played hard all night. 

Trap games are absolutely a real thing. It is impossible to get humans to perform at their highest level in a 30 game season. Add in travel, media, emotions, personal dynamics, and a million other variables and you get trap games. That doesn't mean the players intentionally don't get up for a game or don't play hard etc, just that it's impossible to be up for every game. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We had a terrible night shooting the ball. We could have played better, sure, but this group was engaged and played hard all night. 

That's how it felt to me watching it. I have a hard time saying that a team played poorly if they're engaged and playing hard, as you said, and getting good shots but the ball just isn't going into the bucket in someone else's gym. They weren't all good shots but there were a bunch of shots that normally go in and didn't. 

I mean... they held a 72 pt team to 54 pts in their house. Columbia is over 700 mi from Auburn. Ball wasn't going in and they just fought harder and harder all night. Epic stuff.  

This is sort of an example of why I didn't care too much as far as getting the number 1 ranking. I just care about them facing adversity and learning from it. It's a plus if we win and still learn.

On the other hand for whatever reason fans feel that if you are number 1 that means you can't lose or even have tough games against anybody because you have it all figured out because you are number 1. Can't be better than that. 

There's a bunch we can improve. Defensive rotations, people still learning their roles, ball handling, play making, all of that. Glad to see we are still learning

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Heard that dude's name all night. 

Great player, his little brother will probably be good as well. I know we aren't going to hit on everybody but it's just a little more disheartening when they are out of your own backyard

• Like 1

Could be wrong but I chalk our shooting up to fatigue as primary issue plus whatever other things.

we will most likely lose and the voters will probably be happy not to vote us no.1 again this season.  I do think we have the team to stay in the top 8 come selection time.  Also, I want the sec title.  May be secondary to other programs but very important at ours.  

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Could be wrong but I chalk our shooting up to fatigue as primary issue plus whatever other things.

we will most likely lose and the voters will probably be happy not to vote us no.1 again this season.  I do think we have the team to stay in the top 8 come selection time.  Also, I want the sec title.  May be secondary to other programs but very important at ours.  

I can’t speak to the condition of everyone, but I know BP gave KD a more extended rest before putting him in to close the second half than he normally would’ve. It probably wasn’t equal amounts of fatigue across the roster, but I definitely feel like some guys had tired legs. I seem to remember most of everything coming short for Wendell

8 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I disagree with this narrative that we played very poor. We played great defense all night. Held them well below their average at home, out rebounded them by 10 and 23-7 on offensive rebounds, only had 10 turnovers,  had 18 more shot attempts, and held them to equally terrible shooting percentages. We had a terrible night shooting the ball. We could have played better, sure, but this group was engaged and played hard all night. 

Yeah. I felt a slight shadow over my heart when a very early shot, by Jaylin Williams, went down inside the basket but popped out.

7 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Question, would you rather win the season championship or the tournament?  I have a hard time deciding which I like more but I’m leaning towards the regular season.

39 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Question, would you rather win the season championship or the tournament?  I have a hard time deciding which I like more but I’m leaning towards the regular season.

Season … but I’ll take the tourney also just for kicks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Trap games are absolutely a real thing. It is impossible to get humans to perform at their highest level in a 30 game season. Add in travel, media, emotions, personal dynamics, and a million other variables and you get trap games. That doesn't mean the players intentionally don't get up for a game or don't play hard etc, just that it's impossible to be up for every game. 

It’s the Faux “Sports Illustrated Picture on the Cover Curse”, that’s what happened to Jabari! 😝 

• Haha 1

Fatigue may have played a time, it was our third game in seven days. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Fatigue may have played a time, it was our third game in seven days. 

Over 700 mi away, weeknight, a gym that may or may not be a little weird. (Not Vandy weird but who knows.)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 9:52 AM, JwgreDeux said:

If a team can't be up for every game while holding the #1 ranking and trying to compete for a National Championship then there is an issue. I don't think this team nor these players have that issue. Therefore I don't believe in this trap game excuse. This team isn't going out there unfocused. They are playing. It was a "poor" offensive showing. I'll rephrase the statement a bit.

The ball movement wasn't as good. There was quite a bit of one on one offense. We obviously shot poorly. We weren't getting to the free throw line. There was way to much individual play going on. 

I agree we played solid defensively. We were great on the glass. Limited turnovers.

As I said, to have played like that and still walked out with the win was big.

19-1.

Oklahoma next.

3 hours ago, Mike2686 said:

The ball movement wasn't as good. There was quite a bit of one on one offense. We obviously shot poorly. We weren't getting to the free throw line. There was way to much individual play going on. 

Nailed it. WAY too much hero ball. Too much James Harden. Not enough Golden State. 

On 1/26/2022 at 6:55 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

That wasn’t even a real Sports Illustrated cover. 

I had a good laugh at his post. He is all doom and gloom and saying we're going to lose the #1 spot because of a Sports Illustrated cover jinx that isn't even a magazine cover. I thought most would see it wasn't legit just by reading everything on that "cover." 😂

• Haha 2