January 27th Update

Zeek

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Apologies for my absence. A lot of time goes into coaching wrestling, being a new dad, grad school, and trying to be a good husband lol.

Here is where we're at as we approach National Signing Day pt. 2

We have a chance:

• 4* RB TreVonte' Citizen - seems like us vs LSU and maybe a third team. We like where we're at but this all comes down to where dad is leaning and how some of his last second visits go with Miami and other programs. Already committed running back, Damari Alston, has been pushing the duo narrative hard here.
  • 3* OG/C Jalen Farmer - between us and Florida. His visit recently has given us some late momentum. The staff evaluates him a lot higher than his 247 rating. Will Friend needs a win.
  • 3* EDGE Jack Pyburn - Miami feels confident but it's going to be a tight race. Auburn was a clear favorite at one point but Cristobal has been a shark late in the process. It will be interesting to see what he decides.

Don't waste your time:

• 4* EDGE Caden Story - we moved on form this kid a longggg time ago. I'm not sure why the reporters even keep mentioning his name. If any of you were holding out hope then it's time to shed that idea. 

Won't be decided come signing day:

• 3* OG/DT Antavious Woody - grade issues have made this kind of a weird process. I don't think he is going to be signing soon and if he does FSU would likely be the spot. Still, it might be worth paying some attention to if his name pops up some more.

The Transfer Portal is mostly done until we get done with spring ball.

There are some late offers and chatter but these are the few guys I would watch as of now.

So how do you rate this class? Doesn't look all that good to me. we sure don't seem to have filled our OL needs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

So how do you rate this class? Doesn't look all that good to me. we sure don't seem to have filled our OL needs.

I would rate it about the same as Gus' classes. Some good pieces but overall not a balanced class that translates to long term success. 

• Like 2

Dumb question probably, but with the exodus of DL, wouldn't Caden Story be back in the mix?  

Is it the fact he is more 'edge' than tackle? 

• Like 1

Trying to be optimistic but looks to me like it may be just Farmer unless we take Vandy transfer. Good guys are high on Farmer.  Doubt if UF is showing much love. They may have bigger fish. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get a surprise. Sure was hoping Keith would toss out a couple of CBs.

17 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I like to be a positive barner but it's a little concerning. The staff changes don't help and it doesn't seem like Will Friend is really pulling his weight on the recruiting trail; at least in the 2022 class.

We are 16th right now which would have had people popping champagne left and right a few months ago.

Honestly, I'm just enjoying Auburn Basketball right now and expecting another 6-6 or 7-5 type season in football until I'm shown something a little more reassuring.

The 2023 class has a lot of groundwork laid though and could be a nice showing. Problem is, if you're coach Harsin, the help you get from those 2023 kids is far away. Transfer Portal has not been as friendly to us this off season but we won't know how it really shapes up until after the spring games.

Short answer, "it's okay but not quite what I had hoped for at one point."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Dumb question probably, but with the exodus of DL, wouldn't Caden Story be back in the mix?  

Not sure on the specifics but that bridge is long burned at this point. The exodus at DL is definitely interesting. Seems like M'ba/Jones/Wright will be dominating a lot of the reps. Brumbaugh has a tough job ahead of him.

• Like 2

WOW! That list is a lot thinner than I hoped for.  Let's just hope that there is more out there in the pond than what we can see. I appreciate your information Zeek.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I like to be a positive barner but it's a little concerning. The staff changes don't help and it doesn't seem like Will Friend is really pulling his weight on the recruiting trail; at least in the 2022 class.

We are 16th right now which would have had people popping champagne left and right a few months ago.

Honestly, I'm just enjoying Auburn Basketball right now and expecting another 6-6 or 7-5 type season in football until I'm shown something a little more reassuring.

The 2023 class has a lot of groundwork laid though and could be a nice showing. Problem is, if you're coach Harsin, the help you get from those 2023 kids is far away. Transfer Portal has not been as friendly to us this off season but we won't know how it really shapes up until after the spring games.

Mr. Zeek - If you keep knocking over my half full glass, I'll just, I'll just......lol. Thanks for the updates. wde.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Any idea why we ghosted Anez Cooper after he presumably did what we asked him to do?

Gun to my head I couldn't even pretend to understand our OL recruiting. Players with weight issues are always a struggle (the eating problem is never completely gone). Also, our staff has reportedly and repeatedly been "split" on their evaluations of the OL position... not sure what the deal is with that.

Wish I knew more.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Gun to my head I couldn't even pretend to understand our OL recruiting. Players with weight issues are always a struggle (the eating problem is never completely gone). Also, our staff has reportedly and repeatedly been "split" on their evaluations of the OL position... not sure what the deal is with that.

Wish I knew more.

Thanks for letting me know that I’m not the only one at a total loss.

Seems to me the staff is “split” on their evaluation of whether or not we need an offensive line.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Wish I knew more.

Normally, one would defer to the position coach. We are not necessarily normal at this position. Not a good position for us. wde

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I had heard opposite. He was edge but has supposedly grown more into an interior guy the past several months, putting him in a weird spot. No clue if that's true, probably not, but found it interesting at the time

• Like 1

I think OL recruiting changed when we recruited 9 Seniors or grads to come back for Covid year. Most of these guys are experienced and pretty good pass blockers. I think ZC may be pleasantly surprised. We just couldn't land the high profile OL from Portal.  If we have an 8-4 or better season, I think we do much better with Portal and HS recruits next year.  I'm guessing only 4 or 5 of the nine returnees actually make it to fall camp. We'll see.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PotPot said:

Any idea why we ghosted Anez Cooper after he presumably did what we asked him to do?

I hope that is not the case. Kid wants to come to Auburn and has a lot of athletic abilities for a big man.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

If you imagine that kind if season Outlook for 2022 just imagine how bad 2023 will be.  We lose practically everyone on the offensive line and the staff has done a miserabele job to replenish. 2023 will be ugly. Its baffling. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, autan said:

I think OL recruiting changed when we recruited 9 Seniors or grads to come back for Covid year. Most of these guys are experienced and pretty good pass blockers. I think ZC may be pleasantly surprised. We just couldn't land the high profile OL from Portal.  If we have an 8-4 or better season, I think we do much better with Portal and HS recruits next year.  I'm guessing only 4 or 5 of the nine returnees actually make it to fall camp. We'll see.

That’s an Interesting last comment. 
how we going to get to 8-4 if u say your guess is half of the 9 OL returnees won’t even be there to help in the FALL. 

so who is going to take up them OL slack?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Not only do I not understand the OL recruiting philosophy. I don’t think I understand the offensive recruiting as a whole right now. 

HS offensive recruiting isn't that bad outside OL.  We signed WR/TE/RB.  OL HS has been a disaster.  I'd say the Portal for all of the offense has been a disaster.  We desperately needed multiple OL, got none.  Needed a top WR, missed out on every one we targeted.  Missed out on our top QB options.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

HS offensive recruiting isn't that bad outside OL.  We signed WR/TE/RB.  OL HS has been a disaster.  I'd say the Portal for all of the offense has been a disaster.  We desperately needed multiple OL, got none.  Needed a top WR, missed out on every one we targeted.  Missed out on our top QB options.

As well as we did defensively through the portal last year, we've equally struggled this year on the offensive side.

15 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I hope that is not the case. Kid wants to come to Auburn and has a lot of athletic abilities for a big man.

In an article posted on this board recently, his HS coach said we had not communicated with Anez since prior to the bowl game 

4 minutes ago, PotPot said:

In an article posted on this board recently, his HS coach said we had not communicated with Anez since prior to the bowl game 

That's sad. It's not like there are a half-dozen 4* guys lined up and anxiously awaiting an offer from Auburn.

• Like 4