January 27th Update

Zeek

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

HS offensive recruiting isn't that bad outside OL.  We signed WR/TE/RB.  OL HS has been a disaster.  I'd say the Portal for all of the offense has been a disaster.  We desperately needed multiple OL, got none.  Needed a top WR, missed out on every one we targeted.  Missed out on our top QB options.

I gotta wonder if this is the affect from pissing off the PTB, poor recruiting by the staff or is this “part of the plan”???

5 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I gotta wonder if this is the affect from pissing off the PTB, poor recruiting by the staff or is this “part of the plan”???

I can't imagine a plan that includes multiple failures. However, barring some catastrophe, Harsin is our guy for at least two more seasons so we better hope there is a plan that makes sense.

I don't believe all the PTB stuff. They are AU fans too and wouldn't do anything intentional to hurt the program.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That’s an Interesting last comment. 
how we going to get to 8-4 if u say your guess is half of the 9 OL returnees won’t even be there to help in the FALL. 

so who is going to take up them OL slack?

My point is I doubt if all those nine 5th, sixth, and (1) seventh year returnees will be playing next season. I'm guessing the spring will determine who the 5 or so would be and coaches will have a sit down with each man. We need to leave room for younger guys like Colby Smith, Ganglo, Irvin, Harris, etc. Probably pick up another one or two from portal after spring if things look shaky. If "we've got a Friend" did not get those Auburn men to agree to return for Covid year, we would be in a world of hurt for sure. Maybe all nine will stay but I can't  imagine that some would not move on after spring. We have walkons for scout team. This will be very interesting to follow and critical for having a better season this Fall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

Not liking this

I agree Paladin. If kid is giving up his biggest wrestling meet of the season for this OV, UF must be his dream school.  Harsin is doing all he can do, giving it his best shot. Not giving up but right now it is hard for Auburn to compete for a Florida recruit that all three of their biggies want.  If CBH pulls it off Tuesday it will be a big win. WDE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

As well as we did defensively through the portal last year, we've equally struggled this year on the offensive side.

I'd say we struggled just as much last year on the offensive side.  We added 2 RBs who idk if they'll ever see playing time.  DRob was meh.  I think ppl over hyped his HS rating 6 years ago vs what he actually was.  TJ was a good acquisition for a development, but got screwed with injury & Bo leaving early.  I think he'd been much better if he could have truly stat for 2 years.

Where is Taj Harris going?  Seems to be the best WR available, but has gotten no interest from schools

48 minutes ago, autan said:

My point is I doubt if all those nine 5th, sixth, and (1) seventh year returnees will be playing next season. I'm guessing the spring will determine who the 5 or so would be and coaches will have a sit down with each man. We need to leave room for younger guys like Colby Smith, Ganglo, Irvin, Harris, etc. Probably pick up another one or two from portal after spring if things look shaky. If "we've got a Friend" did not get those Auburn men to agree to return for Covid year, we would be in a world of hurt for sure. Maybe all nine will stay but I can't  imagine that some would not move on after spring. We have walkons for scout team. This will be very interesting to follow and critical for having a better season this Fall.

I think they all stay as they want the degrees.

Hopefully you're right, since it's doubtful that any of them will have pro careers. Some have graduated and want/need that masters degree.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, autan said:

Trying to be optimistic but looks to me like it may be just Farmer unless we take Vandy transfer. Good guys are high on Farmer.  Doubt if UF is showing much love. They may have bigger fish. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get a surprise. Sure was hoping Keith would toss out a couple of CBs.

We need Farmer and the Vandy kid (Steen). I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but Friend has been a huge disappointment. So many offensive linemen in the portal this season. Friend has either whiffed or failed to even get AU in the mix. Arguably, of all the position coaches, we need a strong OL coach and recruiter.  Any rumors on a coaching change after the Feb signing day?  The way CBH pulled the plug on Corn W., I’m surprised he’s allowed Friend to meander around this long.  

Big time fingers crossed we pull Citizen out of Louisiana. IMO, he has the potential to be as good or better than Tank. 

And Zeek, great job, as always!  Best of luck mastering the “good husband” part of everything you have going on. I’ve done my best for 24 years and (in my case) the definition of “good” can vary by the day.  

1 hour ago, autan said:

Hopefully you're right, since it's doubtful that any of them will have pro careers. Some have graduated and want/need that masters degree.

These guys should be well on their way to a Phd by now

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Where is Taj Harris going?  Seems to be the best WR available, but has gotten no interest from schools

Rutgers per Feldman

• Like 1

5 hours ago, autan said:

I agree Paladin. If kid is giving up his biggest wrestling meet of the season for this OV, UF must be his dream school.  Harsin is doing all he can do, giving it his best shot. Not giving up but right now it is hard for Auburn to compete for a Florida recruit that all three of their biggies want.  If CBH pulls it off Tuesday it will be a big win. WDE

I think he’s just enjoying the recruiting process. He didn’t start getting recruited until very late, I’m not saying we’re getting him but him picking a college visit over a wrestling match isn’t that surprising 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR said:

Rutgers per Feldman

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Rutgers 

Got beat our by Rutgers or never offered 

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Don't think we were ever in it..... he committed to Kentucky but decommitted later on. He is from Jersey so maybe he wants to be closer to home.....jmo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I could never find any info on AU recruiting him but not sure. It blows my mind that we didnt gain a single WR or OL in the portal. 

Just now, CR said:

I could never find any info on AU recruiting him but not sure. It blows my mind that we didnt gain a single WR or OL in the portal. 

Yeah, but if malpractice. Extremely disappointing. 

Everyone we bring in post spring will be behind 

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, but if malpractice. Extremely disappointing. 

Everyone we bring in post spring will be behind 

Its doubtful the quality will be there in the later transfers as well. Harsin inherited an awful situation at OL but hes done little to stop the bleeding.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CR said:

Harsin inherited an awful situation at OL but hes done little to stop the bleeding.

Yup

I just don't see how we went from pulling in two, maybe three good OL's a year during Dye's, Bowden's Tuberville:s  and Chizik's years to now we couldn't get them to come Auburn if we kidnapped them

I just don’t know guys we have players leaving left and right and few replacements coming.  The coaching replacements look worse than what we had.  I hate to be pessimistic but this ain’t looking good.  

• Sad 1

The lack of names for '22 OL is what's mind boggling. This staff seems to scout everyone and all we hear about is Farmer, Cooper, and now Peagler. Never bought into Cooper because of the weight deal. Staff seems to like guys with good length and frames to add weight, like a Colby Smith. Wish we could find another guy like him that just needs time. 

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

These guys should be well on their way to a Phd by now

Yep, we could set a record for the 1st college football team with the entire starting offensive line having PhDs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1