Women vs #4 Tennessee

tgrogan21

Man that's the one thing I always felt we lacked in under the previous regime; the 3 pointer. It's such a great equalizer, esp if you're smaller and/or less talented (see: the other basketball program years ago lol!). I heard we're supposed to get immensely more talented with this upcoming class, if we can generate way more open threes, I would expect a BIGGG turnaround

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

First league win, and a huge one!!!!!   Maybe this will get us over the hump.   We’ve had several close ones and just couldn’t finish it.   It’s encouraging to see some definite progress!!!   I think this program is only going to get better!

• Like 1

I don't follow the women bball at all.  I know we got a new coach, are we trending in the right direction?  Is she going to be the female Bruce Pearl?  

Watched some of Q2 and surprised we were not getting blown out.  Then rejoined the broadcast with about 6 min left in the game.  Did not look like the same team I have been seeing in SEC play.  Impressive considering the quick turnaround.  It has seemed that in SEC play we have floundered during Q4 and had some sort of mental barrier but not tonight and against a top team.  Hopefully getting that Q4 monkey off our back will bode well for future games.  I suspect CJH would really like to get a win over the Bull Dogs next week (play Vandy away on Sunday) considering they passed over her for the HC position in 2020.  Hats off ladies; terrific effort. and rewarding results.  

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

I don't follow the women bball at all.  I know we got a new coach, are we trending in the right direction?  Is she going to be the female Bruce Pearl?  

I don't watch every game but I keep up to date on the scores via twitter. We've been close in a few games and even had a lead in the 4th quarter against Kentucky and Alabama. Every game, though, we had faded away in the 4th due to just talent/depth. That was different last night. We actually blew an 11 point lead in the 3rd and were down 1 going into the 4th. TN then only scored 10 points in the 4th quarter and we just played lights out on defense and hit big time shots at the right moment.

I don't know if she's the female Bruce Pearl but from everything I've seen she connects with her players, she is out there at Toomer's trying to drum up interest. I truly believe that if you give her 2-3 years she'll turn it around completely. Amazing the quality of win that she and her players got last night. I am hoping that this W gets fans interested enough to go to games again. It won't be an overnight success just like Bruce didn't turn it around over night. The team just needs support from the Auburn Family.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Big time win for the new staff! They can show this one to the recruits and hopefully make some hay with it. 

With the success of the men's program, it won't take many games like this for the crowds/enthusiasm to really pick up for the women's team. I LOVED going to women's games when I was in school. We had great men's teams back then (late 80's) and the women lost in the NCAA championship game 2 years in a row. I would love to see it happen again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:yay:Thanks for posting the videos. There's something special about a team and coach pulling off a major upset. My eyes welled up a little watching it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I don't watch every game but I keep up to date on the scores via twitter. We've been close in a few games and even had a lead in the 4th quarter against Kentucky and Alabama. Every game, though, we had faded away in the 4th due to just talent/depth. That was different last night. We actually blew an 11 point lead in the 3rd and were down 1 going into the 4th. TN then only scored 10 points in the 4th quarter and we just played lights out on defense and hit big time shots at the right moment.

I don't know if she's the female Bruce Pearl but from everything I've seen she connects with her players, she is out there at Toomer's trying to drum up interest. I truly believe that if you give her 2-3 years she'll turn it around completely. Amazing the quality of win that she and her players got last night. I am hoping that this W gets fans interested enough to go to games again. It won't be an overnight success just like Bruce didn't turn it around over night. The team just needs support from the Auburn Family.

Coach Harris really has done an amazing job in a short amount of time. We should all give her and Auburn WBB our support. I think she may be the one to get things going again for the program. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I'm with you on the Bruce Pearl comparison. My Auburn roommate, whose daughter played bball at Oklahoma State thinks very highly of her. He met coach Harris on the recruiting trail a few times and he believes she is a top notch recruiter and person. Coaching is TBD but based on the game against UT it appears that question is being answered.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Don’t watch that closely, but used to go to a fair number of Women’s games back in the Vicki Orr, Carolyn Jones, Boltons, and Trematiere era. 

Anyways, hard to believe this years team beat Georgia Tech in Atlanta and a Top 5 Tennessee,  and still lost 7 SEC games in between. Seems they have a ways to go, but there seems to be some excitement in the program for the first time in a few years. 

• 2 weeks later...