Pat Nix

NWALA Tiger

1 minute ago, keywest said:

None that I witnessed or felt was there. I think Pat and his family are very honest people that still love AU. I have stated many times that I think Bo is a very good kid but isn't very coachable, will never get any better than he is now and will never play a down in the NFL (if he even makes a roster).

Yeah he seemed to have a hard time controlling his emotions

10 minutes ago, keywest said:

I have stated many times that I think Bo is a very good kid but isn't very coachable, will never get any better than he is now and will never play a down in the NFL (if he even makes a roster).

No disrespect intended to the Nix family.

I played sports from tee-ball all the way to HS baseball and bball. Throughout my life I was never a coaches kid, but I encountered many. There are 2 types...

(1) the ones who's Dad's are hard asses that push them to their breaking point in order to make them mentally, physically and emotionally tough to make them a better person/competitor.

(2) coddlers/excusers/enablers

Soon enough we'll find out what kind of Coaching Dad he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jknighton said:

No disrespect intended to the Nix family.

I played sports from tee-ball all the way to HS baseball and bball. Throughout my life I was never a coaches kid, but I encountered many. There are 2 types...

(1) the ones who's Dad's are hard asses that push them to their breaking point in order to make them mentally, physically and emotionally tough to make them a better person/competitor.

(2) coddlers/excusers/enablers

Soon enough we'll find out what kind of Coaching Dad he is.

Couldn't say it any better. Bruce and Steven Pearl seem like a good example of #1. BP has said Steven was not an SEC "athlete." Said he went harder on him than other players, and Steven outperformed his ceiling and became a very solid player for the Vols. Bo had so much athleticism in HS that maybe his dad overlooked some of the habits he was building because they were winning and he was getting great stats and exposure.

Not sure if he was coddled, but judging by his outbursts at teammates and his OC, I would lean towards yes. I'm no expert, but seems like if your son's got good talent you shouldn't coach him after age 12 or so. Let him get developed by neutral eyes. Hindsights 20/20 though.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, au302 said:

Couldn't say it any better. Bruce and Steven Pearl seem like a good example of #1. BP has said Steven was not an SEC "athlete." Said he went harder on him than other players, and Steven outperformed his ceiling and became a very solid player for the Vols. Bo had so much athleticism in HS that maybe his dad overlooked some of the habits he was building because they were winning and he was getting great stats and exposure.

Not sure if he was coddled, but judging by his outbursts at teammates and his OC, I would lean towards yes. I'm no expert, but seems like if your son's got good talent you shouldn't coach him after age 12 or so. Let him get developed by neutral eyes. Hindsights 20/20 though.

Hard not to play where your father is HS HC. It’s where you go to school. Teachers/Coaches kids were required to go to the school (Private school) where my kids went.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I think many AU fans who had enough of Coach Malzahn let that carry over into disrespecting Bo Nix. All Nix did at Auburn was to beat AU's career total offense mark in three years, when that record was set by Stan White in four years. The guy was/is better than some here would like to believe.

What's happened now is Nix has left, partially because of so much heat from fans and maybe not a good fit, personality-wise, with Coach Harsin. What we've done is trade Bo Nix for Calzada, who is a poor man's version of Bo Nix. Consequences of that series of events are still to be determined.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I think many AU fans who had enough of Coach Malzahn let that carry over into disrespecting Bo Nix. All Nix did at Auburn was to beat AU's career total offense mark in three years, when that record was set by Stan White in four years. The guy was/is better than some here would like to believe.

What's happened now is Nix has left, partially because of so much heat from fans and maybe not a good fit, personality-wise, with Coach Harsin. What we've done is trade Bo Nix for Calzada, who is a poor man's version of Bo Nix. Consequences of that series of events are still to be determined.

I Agree with your assessment except, it is not conclusive to rate Calzada below Bo, bc they are totally different types of QBs. In mentality and skill, they do not seem anywhere close.

So, to compare is not gonna to help in whether he can be a better passer in Harsin's offense than Bo...

If we took a chart of what a QB needs to succeed, the boxes checked would be different in their strengths and weaknesses, IMO.

QBs don't have to be clones to be successful. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Do u think the coach at Thompson High in Alabama has an Agenda? They are loaded every year with top notch talent, none of whom give Auburn even a sniff. Well unless u include the walk on QB at Auburn who played at Thompson. Thompson is basically Bamas Jr high. That agenda don't seem to bother those parents at all. Again, I'm not lumping Nix in with the Thompson bunch.

I know what you mean.  The Thompson coaches are so full of bammer that one of their coaches allows his daughter to be on Auburn's women's golf team, and has done this for the last 4 years.:drippingsarcasm7pa:  And by the way, out of high school she had her pick of SEC schools, among others.

11 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

I know what you mean.  The Thompson coaches are so full of bammer that one of their coaches allows his daughter to be on Auburn's women's golf team, and has done this for the last 4 years.:drippingsarcasm7pa:  And by the way, out of high school she had her pick of SEC schools, among others.

Now that’s great sarcasm for sure!!

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree with your assessment except, it is not conclusive to rate Calzada below Bo, bc they are totally different types of QBs. In mentality and skill, they do not seem anywhere close.

So, to compare is not gonna to help in whether he can be a better passer in Harsin's offense than Bo...

If we took a chart of what a QB needs to succeed, the boxes checked would be different in their strengths and weaknesses, IMO.

QBs don't have to be clones to be successful. 

We'll see next season, I suppose. I don't see the "totally different types of QB", but the only game I paid much attention to Calzada was when he played against Auburn, so my frame of reference on him is limited. He looked capable of taking off and running if the receivers were covered, and his accuracy didn't appear any better than Nix's accuracy. But then, at the time I wasn't evaluating him as AU's Great Hope for the Future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinman1 said:

Who has Auburn football got out of Thompson?

Also where did Nick and the REC send the Tua's little brother when they brought the family over from the Big Island?

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Who has Auburn football got out of Thompson?

No one.  As bad as I hate to say it they all chose the premier team in the state with the premier coach who puts a ton of players in the NFL.  Maybe one day soon Auburn will be good enough to land these players but over the most recent time period we aren't even close.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Also where did Nick and the REC send the Tua's little brother when they brought the family over from the Big Island?

Nick sent them nowhere.  Tua Senior looked all over Alabama and was impressed with the offense Mark Freeman ran at Thompson and previously at Spanish Fort.  The offense fit little Tua perfectly so they decided on Alabaster, who was in the process of forming their own school district and building a state of the art football stadium and facility.  Not to mention a new school.  The Tua family are devout Christians, as is Mark Freeman.  If you ever get the chance to meet him I suggest you do so.  Your opinion of what goes on at Thompson will probably change.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

Nick sent them nowhere.  Tua Senior looked all over Alabama and was impressed with the offense Mark Freeman ran at Thompson and previously at Spanish Fort.  The offense fit little Tua perfectly so they decided on Alabaster, who was in the process of forming their own school district and building a state of the art football stadium and facility.  Not to mention a new school.  The Tua family are devout Christians, as is Mark Freeman.  If you ever get the chance to meet him I suggest you do so.  Your opinion of what goes on at Thompson will probably change.

I'm not questioning anyone's faith. All I'm saying is I wouldn't doubt for a minute that there was some sort of Bama influence for him to go to Thompson. And I guess u prob think that Tua family all packed up and moved to the mainland on their own dime

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not questioning anyone's faith. All I'm saying is I wouldn't doubt for a minute that there was some sort of Bama influence for him to go to Thompson. And I guess u prob think that Tua family all packed up and moved to the mainland on their own dime

You've gotten off your initial subject I replied to.  You said that the Thompson bunch (coaches) were steering players away from Auburn to bama.  I'm telling you that is not fact.  As for the REC, you are probably right.  I'm sure they "helped" with expenses to get the family to the mainland.  But the choice of where to live was not Nick Saban's.

You've gotten off your initial subject I replied to.  You said that the Thompson bunch (coaches) were steering players away from Auburn to bama.  I'm telling you that is not fact.  As for the REC, you are probably right.  I'm sure they "helped" with expenses to get the family to the mainland.  But the choice of where to live was not Nick Saban's.

Yeah, 👍 

On 1/28/2022 at 8:03 PM, Tigerbelle said:

Fans were not really that nice to Bo Nix. Some were downright hateful. It was difficult for his family.

Starting QB in the SEC. Cry me a river.

Edit: Go ahead and throw that facepalm reaction Tigerbelle. UCF isn't THAT far from Auburn, it's only Orlando.

Edited by selias

1 hour ago, selias said:

Starting QB in the SEC. Cry me a river.

Edit: Go ahead and throw that facepalm reaction Tigerbelle. UCF isn't THAT far from Auburn, it's only Orlando.

It doesn't matter what position he played...or where. I saw some really terrible things posted about him. Decent people have perspective, and they know when things have gone too far. There was no excuse for that kind of hate because of a football game. Shame on you for thinking anything goes because a college kid is playing football. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

It doesn't matter what position he played...or where. I saw some really terrible things posted about him. Decent people have perspective, and they know when things have gone too far. There was no excuse for that kind of hate because of a football game. Shame on you for thinking anything goes because a college kid is playing football. 

I also saw some harsh things posted about Jarrett Stidham too. He doesn't care about the team because he's so calm on the sideline. Never stands by the teammates and never shows emotion, etc. It goes with the territory. He survived, and makes a nice salary in the NFL still. I hold no ill will that he left. Hope he has a great career

2 hours ago, au302 said:

I also saw some harsh things posted about Jarrett Stidham too. He doesn't care about the team because he's so calm on the sideline. Never stands by the teammates and never shows emotion, etc. It goes with the territory. He survived, and makes a nice salary in the NFL still. I hold no ill will that he left. Hope he has a great career

So.....you think that makes it OK? Because he's in the NFL now? Posting terrible things about a college student because of a football game is never acceptable. You think that because you "hold no ill will" for young man making a decision about HIS future....that was really none of your business anyway...makes you the good guy? He didn't owe you anything in the first place. These are young people with families and friends who are hurt by all the venom that gets spewed online, and if it were you...or your child....you would sure have a different attitude about it.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 4:10 PM, Mikey said:

We'll see next season, I suppose. I don't see the "totally different types of QB", but the only game I paid much attention to Calzada was when he played against Auburn, so my frame of reference on him is limited. He looked capable of taking off and running if the receivers were covered, and his accuracy didn't appear any better than Nix's accuracy. But then, at the time I wasn't evaluating him as AU's Great Hope for the Future.

Calzada is much more mobile than people realize but he is not as athletic as Bo. I am not so much concerned about the QB position. Calzada + Tank behind a veteran OL (technically we only have a new QB here, that’s it and Calzada might be a better fit in Harsin’s system)… this is still SEC level - but the WR unit worries me.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Calzada is much more mobile than people realize but he is not as athletic as Bo.

Get rid of the ball and be accurate and Zach may not have to play like his hair is on fire. Just make the easy play easily! 

Edited by GAAubie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Auburn should have pick of the litter for a HS in a bordering county

Recently we get picked after Clemson, UGA and UAT get what they want. This cycle even FSU picked up a 4* lineman from Chambers County.

12 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

So.....you think that makes it OK? Because he's in the NFL now? Posting terrible things about a college student because of a football game is never acceptable. You think that because you "hold no ill will" for young man making a decision about HIS future....that was really none of your business anyway...makes you the good guy? He didn't owe you anything in the first place. These are young people with families and friends who are hurt by all the venom that gets spewed online, and if it were you...or your child....you would sure have a different attitude about it.

Where did I say anything about being the good guy? Criticism for football is totally in bounds. I agree that personal attacks and the like are not. The point I'm trying to make is that Nix was not unique with this. Doesn't mean it's right or justifiable, but he is not the first or last player to have personal criticism thrown at him online. It's unfortunate, but it has happened to many QB's. Point with Stidham is that he tuned all the bs out and made a nice career for himself. With their loaded schedules what are the odds that they even have the time to read that bs? I'm sure Nix is fine, like Stidham, and I have a hard time buying that he left town solely because of terrible remarks that pretty much every QB unfortunately receives in the day and age of social media. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1