Pat Nix

NWALA Tiger

22 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

So.....you think that makes it OK? Because he's in the NFL now? Posting terrible things about a college student because of a football game is never acceptable. You think that because you "hold no ill will" for young man making a decision about HIS future....that was really none of your business anyway...makes you the good guy? He didn't owe you anything in the first place. These are young people with families and friends who are hurt by all the venom that gets spewed online, and if it were you...or your child....you would sure have a different attitude about it.

Posting terrible things about college kids has been going on as long as there have been college kids, because they're kinda dumb and immature. At least a lot are. There are several on this forum that do the same that probably aren't college kids. Doesn't make it right but you have to be tough to be a good athlete, both physically and mentally. I don't think Bo could handle not being successful because he always had been and when the kitchen got hot, he got out. Nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to play at AU, so long and thanks for all the fish.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:26 AM, steeleagle said:

I Agree with your assessment except, it is not conclusive to rate Calzada below Bo, bc they are totally different types of QBs. In mentality and skill, they do not seem anywhere close.

So, to compare is not gonna to help in whether he can be a better passer in Harsin's offense than Bo...

If we took a chart of what a QB needs to succeed, the boxes checked would be different in their strengths and weaknesses, IMO.

QBs don't have to be clones to be successful. 

Possibly what he means is: Calzada isn’t nearly as athletic as Bo.

Bo making something out of a broken play, running for one’s life with no O-line pass blocking, running backs not picking up the blitz etc. etc. etc.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:44 AM, tinman1 said:

No one.  As bad as I hate to say it they all chose the premier team in the state with the premier coach who puts a ton of players in the NFL.  Maybe one day soon Auburn will be good enough to land these players but over the most recent time period we aren't even close.

We weren’t getting players out of Thompson when Tub’s was spanking  Alabama six years in a row!

On 1/31/2022 at 8:57 AM, tinman1 said:

Nick sent them nowhere.  Tua Senior looked all over Alabama and was impressed with the offense Mark Freeman ran at Thompson and previously at Spanish Fort.  The offense fit little Tua perfectly so they decided on Alabaster, who was in the process of forming their own school district and building a state of the art football stadium and facility.  Not to mention a new school.  The Tua family are devout Christians, as is Mark Freeman.  If you ever get the chance to meet him I suggest you do so.  Your opinion of what goes on at Thompson will probably change.

Tua in an interview after his first national championship: I would like to take this time to thank the University of Alabama for bringing my family over from Hawaii, finding them a house, finding them jobs, and really taking care of my family etc. Tua went on to say: I just really want to thank the University of Alabama for all of this!

Upon hearing that I thought to myself: Gee, I wonder how all this is legal?

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Tua in an interview after his first national championship: I would like to take this time to thank the University of Alabama for bringing my family over from Hawaii, finding them a house, finding them jobs, and really taking care of my family etc. Tua went on to say: I just really want to thank the University of Alabama for all of this!

Upon hearing that I thought to myself: Gee, I wonder how all this is legal?

Yep.  Hoover had first shot but said he would have to compete for starting job….Thompson was more than happy to provide the starting job and to go get wide receivers to assist.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Possibly what he means is: Calzada isn’t nearly as athletic as Bo.

Bo making something out of a broken play, running for one’s life with no O-line pass blocking, running backs not picking up the blitz etc. etc. etc.

Maybe Calzada won't run 20 yards back before getting tackled, or run out of bounds instead of throwing it away, or leave the pocket early, or run out of bounds before the first down on fourth down or throw a goofy shuttle/shot put pass for an easy intentional grounding or fumble call.  Or maybe he will, we may find out in September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Maybe Calzada won't run 20 yards back before getting tackled, or run out of bounds instead of throwing it away, or leave the pocket early, or run out of bounds before the first down on fourth down or throw a goofy shuttle/shot put pass for an easy intentional grounding or fumble call.  Or maybe he will, we may find out in September.

Now, the true you comes out. That’s what we were thinking.

10 hours ago, The Freak said:

He'll hang in the pocket. He's tough as hell. 

11 hours ago, The Freak said:

Calzada also won't pass Nix as Auburn's all time total offense leader. Probably won't have the moxie to pull off the win at the end of the '19 Iron Bowl like Nix did, and couldn't have pulled off that play against LSU in 2020.

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Calzada also won't pass Nix as Auburn's all time total offense leader. Probably won't have the moxie to pull off the win at the end of the '19 Iron Bowl like Nix did, and couldn't have pulled off that play against LSU in 2020.

Prolly have better stats against Ga State tho.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Freak said:

And might not even need a miracle to beat a garbage ass LSU team as a 3rd-yr starter. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

And might not even need a miracle to beat a garbage ass LSU team as a 3rd-yr starter. 

That's the one time his scrambling actually paid off big.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

That's the one time his scrambling actually paid off big.

It definitely did. When he went hero, he really went big. Somehow it still resulted in losing 1 out of every 3 games. Further to your previous post, I'm willing to roll the dice on replacing that. 

Maybe we can open up a whole new forum for people to wax nostaglic about everything Gus and the Gus era. There would be a few people that would wear that damn thing out....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Maybe we can open up a whole new forum for people to wax nostaglic about everything Gus and the Gus era. There would be a few people that would wear that damn thing out....

So funny. I almost posted that a select few will continue to mythologize Bo in perpetuity simply because he is an extension of Gus. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It definitely did. When he went hero, he really went big. Somehow it still resulted in losing 1 out of every 3 games. Further to your previous post, I'm willing to roll the dice on replacing that. 

Shouldn't be hard to replace a perennially middle of the pack SEC QB.  But, we are Auburn - so we have that working for us, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Shouldn't be hard to replace a perennially middle of the pack SEC QB.  But, we are Auburn - so we have that working for us, lol.

Meanwhile, Malik Willis is set to be a potential first round NFL pick. Hard to believe he was third string here. Hindsight is 20-20 but what a bungle by former staff. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

It blows my mind how some still don't understand the importance of fit in a system. Just like Stidham was probably not a great fit for Gus's offense, Bo was not a fit for Harsin's. Yea he's more athletic, but he doesn't have the arm Calzada does. That is what Harsin wants. The longer you hang in the pocket, the more likely you may find a guy come open down field and hit an explosive play, which is what we have been missing for three years now

9 minutes ago, au302 said:

It blows my mind how some still don't understand the importance of fit in a system. Just like Stidham was probably not a great fit for Gus's offense, Bo was not a fit for Harsin's. Yea he's more athletic, but he doesn't have the arm Calzada does. That is what Harsin wants. The longer you hang in the pocket, the more likely you may find a guy come open down field and hit an explosive play, which is what we have been missing for three years now

It's less about fit than quality in each case. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Watch the Texas A&M vs Bama game and tell me Calzada doesn’t have the “moxie” 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Tua in an interview after his first national championship: I would like to take this time to thank the University of Alabama for bringing my family over from Hawaii…

First and probably last time this statement has ever been uttered by anyone from Hawaii. 🤪

5 hours ago, The Freak said:

Anything is possible, no matter how unlikely.

2 hours ago, Taco said:

Watch the Texas A&M vs Bama game and tell me Calzada doesn’t have the “moxie” 

You've picked the one game he looked good in. There's a reason he bailed on A&M, and it wasn't because he was going to be #1 or even #2 on their depth chart.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Anything is possible, no matter how unlikely.

You've picked the one game he looked good in. There's a reason he bailed on A&M, and it wasn't because he was going to be #1 or even #2 on their depth chart.

I mean it’s a two sided coin right? Moxie is something you have or you don’t. He led last minute game winning drives last year. 

If you want to bring in totality of a player’s career, let’s not act as though Bo is the greatest QB to step foot on Pat Dye Field. He had great moments but he had some awful ones as well.

4 minutes ago, Taco said:

He had great moments but he had some awful ones as well.

To me, the good outweighed the bad by a wide margin.