Pearl locked down

SuperAUsome09

Like many on these boards I have been hoping Auburn would have the smarts to get this done for the last few years.  Bruce Pearl has been the PERFECT coach for Auburn in every way.  Every article I read online on the usual pages has a lot of good things to say about AU and Pearl's program but they end with mentioning about issues he has had with NCAA in the past...well guess what...who hasn't had issues that has been a winner at the highest level?  I can't think of any with certainty.  As a big-time big-school basketball coach I think you live and learn, and I think Coach Pearl has learned his lessons and has done all he needs to do to get Auburn where we are finally a destination school for some of the top recruits rather than the underdog hoping for a top ranked recruit every now than then.  With the massive increase in student and fan support that he has brought back, the improved facilities with more to come, and a QUALITY WINNING PRODUCT on the court, Auburn can be one of the best in the SEC for the foreseeable future with a coach that everyone can get behind.

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

4th highest paid in the nation, 2nd in SEC. Final 4 payment essentially. 

I thought Barnes was making more than 5.4m which still puts BP 3rd in the SEC. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I thought Barnes was making more than 5.4m which still puts BP 3rd in the SEC. ?

I took mine directly from a tweet or something that evidently must have been wrong.  I did hear them say 3rd on the broadcast. 

May have been covered here  when current facility was getting built, but should it have been bigger? Bammer and others in SEC besides KY have gyms almost twice our size. As great as the atmosphere is in the Jungle now how hard would it be for visiting teams with 5,000 more screaming maniacs?

Bet it would be bigger if just being built now- but wonder if there are any thoughts for 5-10 yrs down the line, with Bruce set now and a winning tradition likely ahead, to be thinking about a bigger arena?  

Then again the Athletic Dept. lost money this year.

Best decision Auburn has made, Bruce is not a flash in the pan. He us an excellent ambassador for our school and all athletic programs. When I think of how he carries himself, he is the perverbial lightning in a bottle. 

Excellent job 👏 👍 ro the administration, this is a no brainer.

2 hours ago, WarEagleT said:

May have been covered here  when current facility was getting built, but should it have been bigger? Bammer and others in SEC besides KY have gyms almost twice our size. As great as the atmosphere is in the Jungle now how hard would it be for visiting teams with 5,000 more screaming maniacs?

Bet it would be bigger if just being built now- but wonder if there are any thoughts for 5-10 yrs down the line, with Bruce set now and a winning tradition likely ahead, to be thinking about a bigger arena?  

I say definitely not. Keep it the size that it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don’t disagree with any of this. Prior AU leadership didn’t have “Pearl Vision”!

We have the most intimidating place to play in the country. Tickets go at a premium. We’re the new Cameron Indoor— let’s play this hand for a while.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We have the most intimidating place to play in the country. Tickets go at a premium. We’re the new Cameron Indoor— let’s play this hand for a while.

THIS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is absolutely perfect the way it is. Unlike what our wives and girlfriends tell us Bigger is not always better 😂😆. In college basketball it never is. Bigger arena's do not hold noise well and fans and more importantly the student section are further away from the court. Tennessee's arena is freaking huge. But the atmosphere always suuuuucks. Same with that airport hangar in Tuscaloosa. And when you are bad or even just mediocre? It's basically a mausoleum. See south Carolina's 17k multi purpose arena.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is absolutely perfect the way it is. Unlike what our wives and girlfriends tell us Bigger is not always better 😂😆. In college basketball it never is. Bigger arena's do not hold noise well and fans and more importantly the student section are further away from the court. Tennessee's arena is freaking huge. But the atmosphere always suuuuucks. Same with that airport hangar in Tuscaloosa. And when you are bad or even just mediocre? It's basically a mausoleum. See south Carolina's 17k multi purpose arena.

They could hang curtains along the baselines...🙄

That was as sad and depressing as it gets. So glad we went with the smaller intimate environment. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:20 AM, Jgarrett7 said:

Where is @GwillMac6? I need to know his thoughts on this move

Is Bruuuuuuuce going to Maryland?! 

giphy.gif

Is Bruuuuuuce going to Louisville?! 

TanCarefulIndiancow-max-1mb.gif

BRUCE HAS A MESSAGE TO ALL THE NATIONAL MEDIA THAT TRIED TO MAKE HIM LEAVING AU A THING!!!!! 

dfsdfs.gif

HOW DO US AU FANS FEEL ABOUT BRUCE BEING LOCKED UP until he is 70?!??!! 

giphy.gif

bruce-pearl-head-coach.gif

5c5cce86fb569ffc90bb362c49b12021.gif

GlisteningWarmEmperorshrimp-max-1mb.gif

bruce-pearl.gif

04b893cb09d29a2b3e3b34d97bed47f9.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

bruce-pearl-bruce.gif

giphy.gif

• Love 2

On 1/30/2022 at 11:02 AM, GwillMac6 said:

Bigger is a very good thing when done right.  Yes 9K works here and for Duke, and both fan bases rock the gym, but below are 50 college arenas with far larger capacity. Yes I know Carrier Dome is also football. I've been to many of those below- some suck because of design that spreads the rows way back from the court. But others have upper decks that look right down over the court so the noise when packed is unbelievable. 

We don't need another Rupp arena next week, but following provides some perspective. Note when some of these were built; many have since been modernized with more luxury boxes and the latest light and sound. Some seal off the upper deck for lower attended events-  gymnastics, women's bb, etc- and shut upper lights off so you don't even know anything is above the packed lower levels. But when they get sellouts against key rivals, some of these places rock:

Rank Arena Team Capacity Opened Conference
1 Carrier Dome Syracuse 35,446 1980 ACC
2 KFC Yum! Center Louisville 22,090 2010 ACC
3 Dean Smith Center North Carolina 21,750 1986 ACC
4 Thompson–Boling Arena Tennessee 21,678 1987 SEC
5 Rupp Arena Kentucky 20,545 1976 SEC
6 Capital One Arena Georgetown 20,308 1997 Big East
7 Madison Square Garden St. John's 19,812 1968 Big East
8 PNC Arena NC State 19,557 1999 ACC
9 Bud Walton Arena Arkansas 19,368 1993 SEC
10 Marriott Center BYU 19,000 1971 West Coast
11 Value City Arena Ohio State 18,809 1998 Big Ten
12 Thomas & Mack Center UNLV 18,776 1983 Mountain West
13 Prudential Center Seton Hall 18,711 2007 Big East
14 CHI Health Center Omaha Creighton 18,320 2003 Big East
15 Freedom Hall Bellarmine 18,252 1956 ASUN
16 FedExForum Memphis 18,119 2004 The American
17 Colonial Life Arena South Carolina 18,000 2002 SEC
18 Xfinity Center Maryland 17,950 2002 Big Ten
19 Fiserv Forum Marquette 17,500 1988 Big East
20 Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall Indiana 17,472 1971 Big Ten
21 Kohl Center Wisconsin 17,249 1998 Big Ten
22 Frank Erwin Center Texas 16,734 1977 Big 12
23 Allen Fieldhouse Kansas 16,300 1955 Big 12
24 State Farm Center Illinois 15,544 1963 Big Ten
25 Save Mart Center Fresno State 15,544 2003 Mountain West
26 Carver–Hawkeye Arena Iowa 15,500 1983 Big Ten
27 The Pit New Mexico 15,411 1966 Mountain West
28 Coleman Coliseum Alabama 15,383 1968 SEC
29 Bryce Jordan Center Penn State 15,261 1996 Big Ten
30 Times Union Center Siena 15,229 1990 MAAC
31 Pinnacle Bank Arena Nebraska 15,147 2013 Big Ten
32 United Supermarkets Arena Texas Tech 15,098 1999 Big 12
33 Mizzou Arena Missouri 15,061 2004 SEC
34 Arena-Auditorium Wyoming 15,028 1982 Mountain West
35 Jon M. Huntsman Center Utah 15,000 1969 Pac-12
36 Mackey Arena Purdue 14,848 1967 Big Ten
37 Breslin Student Events Center Michigan State 14,797 1989 Big Ten
38 Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum Wake Forest 14,665 1989 ACC
39 Williams Arena Minnesota 14,625 1928 Big Ten
40 John Paul Jones Arena Virginia 14,593 2006 ACC
41 McKale Center Arizona 14,545 1973 Pac-12
42 Hilton Coliseum Iowa State 14,376 1971 Big 12
43 Memorial Gymnasium Vanderbilt 14,316 1952 SEC
44 Desert Financial Arena Arizona State 14,100 1974 Pac-12
45 WVU Coliseum West Virginia 14,000 1970 Big 12
46 Pauley Pavilion UCLA 13,800 1965 Pac-12
47 Gallagher-Iba Arena Oklahoma State 13,611 1938 Big 12
48 Wolstein Center Cleveland State 13,610 1991 Horizon
49 Cajundome Louisiana-Lafayette 13,500 1985 Sun Belt
50 University of Dayton Arena Dayton 13,435 1969 Atlantic 10

On 1/30/2022 at 9:01 AM, WarEagleT said:

The size is primarily because there’s no way they ever expected this, but the structure of it does channel audio into the middle. Like with a good sized women’s game I attended, it still sounded much louder than the size would’ve had you think. It’s good acoustically 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cameron indoor seats only 200 people more than AU arena and I can remember in my younger years when I first watched college basketball how loud that environment was, and how the energy and noise just seemed so crazy. I personally vote to keep it the same, it's what makes that environment so special.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Well, people were not routinely going prior to the last few years.  
Those that want a bigger arena - pull out the checkbook and do 2 things- donate a big fat check and also buy a bunch of season tickets that an Auburn fan uses every single game.  Otherwise you dilute the experience and advantage.
I’d like to think when the arena was designed they had the foresight for modest expansion.  Maybe 500-1000 seats?  “Boxes” or something that would interest money folks?  I’ll have to look next time I’m down.