Auburn Equestrian Coach

LPTiger

Greg Williams has given his life to Auburn -- 27 years total.   And, he has been very successful.  Question -- should we do for him what we did for BP i.e. give him a long term contract.  Granted 10,000 folks don't show up for meets and no one camps out.  And, there are only a handful of colleges that compete in the sport so there isn't as much risk of him getting poached.   But, one of the many things I like about BP's situation is what it says to the world as a whole -- that is, Auburn is serious about all of athletics, being an everything school and all, and is willing to grant long term security to those coaches that truly distinguish themselves.  From an achievement standpoint, none of our coaches come close to Williams --6 national championships, 118 All Sec and Freshman All Sec selections in the last 9 years, 102 all Americans.   I think the guy makes about 200k per year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Greg Williams has given his life to Auburn -- 27 years total.   And, he has been very successful.  Question -- should we do for him what we did for BP i.e. give him a long term contract.  Granted 10,000 folks don't show up for meets and no one camps out.  And, there are only a handful of colleges that compete in the sport so there isn't as much risk of him getting poached.   But, one of the many things I like about BP's situation is what it says to the world as a whole -- that is, Auburn is serious about all of athletics, being an everything school and all, and is willing to grant long term security to those coaches that truly distinguish themselves.  From an achievement standpoint, none of our coaches come close to Williams --6 national championships, 118 All Sec and Freshman All Sec selections in the last 9 years, 102 all Americans.   I think the guy makes about 200k per year.

Love this.  Not sure what is feasible in terms of contract but he should have a statue as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Love this.  Not sure what is feasible in terms of contract but he should have a statue as well. 

Boy, we are on a roll with these coaches accolades now...

Unfortunately, it doesn't register in football yet...lol.

But WIlliams is the founder of our Equestrian success, probably from nothing.

He DEFINTELY deserves something for it...when? I don't know if he has any milestones coming up with his tenure here...but...it would be great.

And i believe there is a LOT of financial support in the Auburn Equestrian community that has been already contributing to it. This is not a cheap sport to support... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Boy, we are on a roll with these coaches accolades now...

Unfortunately, it doesn't register in football yet...lol.

But WIlliams is the founder of our Equestrian success, probably from nothing.

He DEFINTELY deserves something for it...when? I don't know if he has any milestones coming up with his tenure here...but...it would be great.

And i believe there is a LOT of financial support in the Auburn Equestrian community that has been already contributing to it. This is not a cheap sport to support... 

Agreed.  Now that I live in horse country Kentucky, I was curious if we had any equestrians from the area.  We have a girl from Lexington and from Mount Sterling, which is a little East of Lexington.  My 7th grade daughter has a friend in school that already has plans to attend Auburn for their equestrian studies.  She actually does horse shows herself but both her parents work at horse farms in the area. My daughter is interested in that as well so I'm hoping she can build her friendship with her to get some work there on a volunteer basis.  Good to get a good work ethic in her.  A lot of the kids in the area seem to have been raised that way moreso than where we came from. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Agreed.  Now that I live in horse country Kentucky, I was curious if we had any equestrians from the area.  We have a girl from Lexington and from Mount Sterling, which is a little East of Lexington.  My 7th grade daughter has a friend in school that already has plans to attend Auburn for their equestrian studies.  She actually does horse shows herself but both her parents work at horse farms in the area. My daughter is interested in that as well so I'm hoping she can build her friendship with her to get some work there on a volunteer basis.  Good to get a good work ethic in her.  A lot of the kids in the area seem to have been raised that way moreso than where we came from. 

My daughter (Auburn grad) has had a horse for 12 years.   It has taught her a lot of discipline and responsibility.   She checks on him every single day -- picks his hooves, brushes him, gives him peppermints, etc.  Horse ownership isn't the cheapest hobby, but for us it is well-worth it.   You daughter is the perfect age for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 10:59 AM, LPTiger said:

My daughter (Auburn grad) has had a horse for 12 years.   It has taught her a lot of discipline and responsibility.   She checks on him every single day -- picks his hooves, brushes him, gives him peppermints, etc.  Horse ownership isn't the cheapest hobby, but for us it is well-worth it.   You daughter is the perfect age for it. 

You make some great points.  As you point out, it isn't cheap.  That makes ownership not feasible for the majority of people.  It isn't that you have to be super wealthy to own a horse, but you either have to own land and a barn or pay for boarding etc.    I agree that it is a great way to teach responsibility.

• Like 2