Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

32 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

So in your opinion why is he stepping away?

IMO, speculating on "personal reasons" for leaving coaching isn't a route we should be going. If he's really stepping away from coaching because of what's going on his personal life, that's none of our business. There's a multitude of personal reasons someone would step away from that profession and none of them are good.

I will agree it still is a bit of a bad look for Harsin though.

• Like 6

TIFWW - Harsin is set to interview the Unibomber for the OC role , also R Kelly is on the watch list —- bad joke 

Bad luck for Coach . Such a bummer . Geez 

Do we need to give him four years for the optics to be good enough to get someone better? : /

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

That personal reason stuff sounds like Davis did not fully understand or appreciate the extra work required to be a OC and college QB coach. I think that is an understandable mistake on Davis' part. Glad he bowed out instead of doing a crap job for a year or so and then stepping away. 

I don't think losing Davis in of itself really matters. He never coached here and we are not out recruiting any QBs currently. But Harsin has GOT to make some hires that stick. I really want to have someone who can add ideas to what Harsin wants to do but at this point i think stability may be more important. Make Keasua OC promote that recent Analyst hire to QB coach and lets move on. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, selias said:

IMO, speculating on "personal reasons" for leaving coaching isn't a route we should be going. If he's really stepping away from coaching because of what's going on his personal life, that's none of our business. There's a multitude of personal reasons someone would step away from that profession and none of them are good.

I will agree it still is a bit of a bad look for Harsin though.

It’s definitely embarrassing. First guy got fired from ASU and now this guy just flat out Quit. I feel bad for some of there recruits and once again going to reinforce why I support all the business like thinking that they may choose to do in order to set them him Up financially before signing on that dotted line. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

He should have been vetted better.

At this point I think it's fair to say these guys should be vetting Auburn better. 

Honestly, at this point I think it's fair to ask if Harsin is representing his expectations, his plans and himself accurately and honestly when he's talking to prospective hires. 

• Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

It’s definitely embarrassing. First guy got fired from ASU and now this guy just flat out Quit. I feel bad for some of there recruits and once again going to reinforce why I support all the business like thinking that they may choose to do in order to set them him Up financially before signing on that dotted line. 

Did Davis "quit" though? I left my last job (some would say quit), for the sake of my mental and emotional health. Yes, I went directly to another job but, the stress level is an order of magnitude lower and I don't want to drive full speed into the nearest bridge pier now. Until I see otherwise, I'm willing to give Davis the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Agreed, it's a bad/embarrassing look for Harsin at the moment though.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, W.E.D said:

That's what Hoke just put out.

Also. Harsin originally tried to hire Eric Kiesau but he turned down the job thinking he wasn't ready.

Disaster 

Given Kiesau has 7 seasons of prior OC experience, and was a finalist to be the new Head Coach at Boise State, this makes little sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Did Davis "quit" though? I left my last job (some would say quit), for the sake of my mental and emotional health. Yes, I went directly to another job but, the stress level is an order of magnitude lower and I don't want to drive full speed into the nearest bridge pier now. Until I see otherwise, I'm willing to give Davis the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Congrats on making a change and improving your life!  :punk:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Do we need to give him four years for the optics to be good enough to get someone better? : /

I think we gotta let the season play out and then decide.  If there is player development and a better product on the field everyone will forget about this off season for awhile.  If not, gotta cut bait and right the ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Congrats on making a change and improving your life!  :punk:

Thanks! No salary is worth losing your mind over.

My tie-in was the same line Davis gave to the public for us. "The job requirements and travel are too much of a strain on my family life." I said that with a straight face as a divorced man with no kids. So, I tend to have a gentler view on the topic than most.

Edited by selias
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, soblfly said:

At some point we need patience to rebuild the program. If not under CBH then who? CBH is being judged by his ability to win with the leftovers from Gus. I think we should, at least, give him the opportunity to succeed or fail with his players and his staff. 

I was with you until about 12 hours ago. I suppose I still partially am, but at some point during this disaster of an off-season, he's gotta do something to make things seem OK. 

Currently he's failing at the "his staff" aspect and if that fails, the "his players" part is doomed. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, selias said:

Congratulations to u. I think the situations are different IMO.  I would say he did quit because he is a former player and had to know the rigors of recruiting. Also I believe anyone on this board can see how much that is required and we are on the outside.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Congratulations to u. I think the situations are different IMO.  I would say he did quit because he is a former player and had to know the rigors of recruiting. Also I believe anyone on this board can see how much that is required and we are on the outside.

You really think the rigors of recruiting are recognized by recruits? 18 year old kids, living their best life by being courted by college coaches give even a passing thought to the necessities of what those coaches and staffs are going through? You were clearly a much more worldly and analytical teenager than me.

13 minutes ago, selias said:

Even if it was for mental health, he still resigned. I appreciate the idea of stepping away if a job is bringing a mental toll. However, I wish this would've been dealt with way before we reached this point. He probably had mental health issues and the stress and hassle of recruiting could've exacerbated it, but even if that is the case, it would've been nice to truly investigate the ins and out of the job. So while I do empathize with the decision, I completely understand the other side of it all as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, selias said:

Thanks! No salary is worth losing your mind over.

My tie-in was the same line Davis gave to the public for us. "The job requirements and travel are too much of a strain on my family life." I said that with a straight face as a divorced man with no kids. So, I tend to have a gentler view on the topic than most.

And it's a needed and appreciated perspective.

For me, we just got into trend territory. I've been "okay whatever ish happens" up until now. This one, man. It's just hard not to be preoccupied with key guys leaving en masse after less than a year. I can't help but wonder what is wrong with Harsin that this keeps happening.

But I don't want to implicate Davis in the process. I'm only interested in his mindset as it relates to Harsin. I don't judge him if he's just saying those words out of convenience. But I also don't want to assume that he is. 

Fortunately mental health and addiction issues are being destigmatized and spoken about more openly. May that trend continue.

"Last year was a son of a bitch
For nearly everyone we know"

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Even if it was for mental health, he still resigned. I appreciate the idea of stepping away if a job is bringing a mental toll. However, I wish this would've been dealt with way before we reached this point. He probably had mental health issues and the stress and hassle of recruiting could've exacerbated it, but even if that is the case, it would've been nice to truly investigate the ins and out of the job. So while I do empathize with the decision, I completely understand the other side of it all as well.

Oh, my POV has nothing to do with the optics, it's not a good look regardless of spin.. This could've/should've been handled better from the get-go. I'm just not willing to run down Davis over it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

You know, I'm really looking forward to being able to discuss who replaces CBH. Will Greene go when Roberts is sworn in? If so, we should have "alignment" down pat.

Considering Harsin was Greene's hand picked guy I would guess his fate rests on how things turn out with Harsin. Overall our sports are in good shape but FB is still king. As I recall rumor had it that he interviewed for the USCw AD job so he could very well abandon ship before Harsin's fate is known. I seriously doubt Dr. Roberts is going to visibly get involved in any AD mess right away. He is most likely rely on the General for that.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1

Just now, selias said:

Oh, my POV has nothing to do with the optics, it's not a good look regardless of spin.. This could've/should've been handled better from the get-go. I'm just not willing to run down Davis over it.

I agree! Thanks for sharing your perspective. I too agree about turning down or leaving jobs for stress. There have been a plenty of high paying jobs offered at the bedside, but is that bank account worth the mental and emotional toll? Thank you so much for sharing that perspective so we can all empathize.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, selias said:

You really think the rigors of recruiting are recognized by recruits? 18 year old kids, living their best life by being courted by college coaches give even a passing thought to the necessities of what those coaches and staffs are going through? You were clearly a much more worldly and analytical teenager than me.

Yes, most of them mention it often during  their ceremonies of what they went through. I am just talking about the recruiting aspect of things. In fact some make the decision earlier than expected so they can get back to normalcy 

Edited by e808
Typo

So, is it to early to speculate on the next OC? I figure CH will need to take his time and get it right. Does he try the NFL route again? D. Craig? McGee?

Edited by wildlife alumni