Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

3 minutes ago, selias said:

You really think the rigors of recruiting are recognized by recruits? 18 year old kids, living their best life by being courted by college coaches give even a passing thought to the necessities of what those coaches and staffs are going through? You were clearly a much more worldly and analytical teenager than me.

He probably had an idea of what he was getting into, but I doubt it came from his time as a recruit.  That said, there is a difference between having an idea of what you are getting into, and actually getting into it.  After a month of recruiting, I can easily see someone that had never done it before, deciding it was worse than they thought.  NFL QB coach was probably more of a day job than college coaching.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Cough cough…

waiting.

The ego crowd is too busy wiping egg away.

Edited by Proud Tiger

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah, the rest of his statement feels a lot like the time that girl backed out of my date offer only to see her at the party with another dude later.

She just sobered up. Maybe that happened to Davis. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

So, is it to early to speculate on the next OC? I figure CH will need to take his time and get it right. Does he try the NFL route again? D. Craig? McGee?

Kiesau

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

He probably had an idea of what he was getting into, but I doubt it came from his time as a recruit.  That said, there is a difference between having an idea of what you are getting into, and actually getting into it.  After a month of recruiting, I can easily see someone that had never done it before, deciding it was worse than they thought.  NFL QB coach was probably more of a day job than college coaching.

I really just don't buy that he was 'overwhelmed' with recruiting. Seems like people trying to reach. The guy is a professional, did his homework when he needed to and moved across the country to work with Harsin in the SEC. He knew what he was getting into... He knows football. He's from Mississippi. 

I think he's got some family issues or some personal stuff he needs to take care of. It's not good but this recruiting stuff sounds like bull 💩

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Cough cough…

waiting.

keep on waiting.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

A error on the USA Today/Auburn Wire story from December on Reeder. They made references to "this past season", when they meant 2020, not 2021.

Reeder was not on the Utah State staff in 2021. He was the OC for Utah State in 2020 under Gary Andersen. Andersen was fired 3 games into the 2020 season. I don't think any of Andersen's staff was retained.

Blake Anderson (from Arkansas State) was hired to replace Gary Andersen, and Blake brought in Anthony Tucker from UCF as his OC.

The 2020 season for Utah State was a disaster. It was a pandemic shortened 8-game season. One game was cancelled due to COVID. They fired their head coach 3 games in. The players supported interim HC Frank Maile for permanent HC. The president of the university in a Zoom call with the team said they would not retain Maile and then went on to make disparaging comments about Maile. That caused the players to boycott the final game. So they only played 6 total games. This is the season the USA Today article refers to.

Regarding Reeder, he had success at Eastern Washington, but not at North Texas or Utah State. He clearly needs more seasoning before taking on a Power 5 OC role, but as QB coach only, he may have potential.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/22/22194392/utah-state-football-opt-put-noelle-cockett-mark-hartwell-frank-maile-mountain-west-conference

• Thanks 1

@icanthearyou  Still waiting on your breakdown that explains how Gus's offensive scheme is better/more complex than Harsin's?

• Haha 1

Another point that I believe is being missed. A "personal issue" and a "family situation" have both been mentioned. And "being overwhelmed with the job/recruiting" has been mentioned.

Is it not possible the two are related? That Davis has a "family situation" right now, at this moment, and because of that the prospect of doing the job right, right now, at this moment is "overwhelming"?

What if the "family situation" is a medium-term or longer situation, and not something that can be addressed in a week or two?

That to me, makes a lot more sense of the "overwhelmed" comment, which may have been taken out of context.

• Like 4

I fault Davis for not being up front and honest, but I fault Harsin more for the hire in hindsight.

Think about it this way:

CBH really went out on a limb with the hire of AD. The guy is 32, no college experience, no coordinator experience. Those are major missing prerequisites.

But it's okay if those are offset by something CBH sees in AD or understood about him. If I'm a coach, I'm only hiring a guy like AD if I'm certain that the dude is hungry, I mean absolutely CHOMPING at the bit for the job. I can look past the lack of experience if I really believe a guy is tenacious, a winner, and is going to absolutely buy-in.

While CBH may not have picked up on personal issues going on with AD, there's absolutely no way a guy like AD could be exuding the tenacity and enthusiasm I'm referring to, given what we now know. 

So it looks really, really, really bad in totality. I mean. What did Harsin see in this guy, if he wasn't even chomping at the bit to come here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Given Kiesau has 7 seasons of prior OC experience, and was a finalist to be the new Head Coach at Boise State, this makes little sense.

It's lame thing to say when it's not true. And it also sounds stupid when he takes the job. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Regarding Reeder, he had success at Eastern Washington, but not at North Texas or Utah State. He clearly needs more seasoning before taking on a Power 5 OC role, but as QB coach only, he may have potential.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/22/22194392/utah-state-football-opt-put-noelle-cockett-mark-hartwell-frank-maile-mountain-west-conference

You know. We just hired a guy who’s been a NFL positional coach for less than two years because of Pete and Russell’s stamp of approval. Don’t think the lack of experience is a hinderance at this point lol.

But honestly would be shocked if Kiesau isn’t promoted to OC and Reeder isn’t promoted to QB coach

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

@icanthearyou 

Still waiting on your breakdown that explains how Gus's offensive scheme is better/more complex than Harsin's?

The wishbone offense is too complex to breakdown lol

/s (included just for you so I don’t start a war)

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, cbo said:

Lots of different rumors about the “why.” Whatever the reason, this is a bad look. Harsin has either been extremely unlucky or completely incompetent at hiring coaches. 

I wasn’t even a huge fan of the Davis hire, but the bleeding has to stop. The bad and puzzling signs are mounting. 

Bu-bu-bu-bu-but we have to give Harsin at least 3 years to get his guys in and right the ship. Why? Because the aufamily pumpers said so. And that’s the bottom line cuzzz…

giphy.webp

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Taco said:

The wishbone offense is too complex to breakdown lol

/s (included just for you so I don’t start a war)

I probably would've caught the sarcasm but the /s is still appreciated because you never know with my partly malfunctioning brain at times

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

@icanthearyou 

Still waiting on your breakdown that explains how Gus's offensive scheme is better/more complex than Harsin's?

I see you have been properly welcomed to the forum by him

Just now, abw0004 said:

I see you have been properly welcomed to the forum by him

ah... is he well known for throwing out facepalms but not having the cojones to put forth any substantive response?

1 minute ago, Didba said:

ah... is he well known for throwing out facepalms but not having the cojones to put forth any substantive response?

jake-paul-dab.gif

• Haha 1