Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

In defense to Harsin and moreso Greene and the non-incestuous parts of the AD, virtually everyone wanted a real new look at head coach. Every one wanted something fresh. Fresh intrinsically comes with risk

Auburn needed a new culture, they just (might’ve) whiffed with execution 

The worst part is that instead of trying again, the next hire they'll just double back on "keeping it within the family"

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The worst part is that instead of trying again, the next hire they'll just double back on "keeping it within the family"

This is what scares me if CBH ultimately doesn't work out. We could go as hard on the "Auburn man" as we ever have and I am not a huge fan of that simple- mindedness

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This world we live in....if you disagree with a female and state your reason why then you are "mansplaining". 

giphy.gif

Don’t lump us all into that group please 😬

I’ve never used the term “mansplaining” in my life 😂

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, wcware said:

Players leaking will be a huge part of every single season going forward. This is the new normal.

If losing 19 while bringing in 5 is Auburn's new normal, we won't be fielding a team very much longer.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Bold move on Cole's part to out Davis unless he had Davis' permission. 

How is that outing?  It’s what is scrolling across the bottom of espn that he left for personal reasons 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If losing 19 while bringing in 5 is Auburn's new normal, we won't be fielding a team very much longer.

While I don't disagree, Tennessee lost 20 last year and improved from 3-7 to 8-5 so there is a precedent. I remember their fans wondering if they would have enough to field a competitive team and they lost a lot more starters than we have. Certainly not optimal though. 

50 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This is what scares me if CBH ultimately doesn't work out. We could go as hard on the "Auburn man" as we ever have and I am not a huge fan of that simple- mindedness

Yup.  Rhett, Clay Helton, etc.  Would be nice if we had a Kirby available.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Is there really going to be a search? 

Well we're 24 hours out from his official resignation and Kiesau hasn't been named yet. Still probably him but I figured he would have been named immediately, like Schmed with Mason. 

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

Well we're 24 hours out from his official resignation and Kiesau hasn't been named yet. Still probably him but I figured he would have been named immediately, like Schmed with Mason. 

If he is going to go down, it will be with his people. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If he is going to go down, it will be with his people. 

I thought it was reported that Kiesau turned the offer down before Austin took it,  saying he didn't think he was ready. 

21 hours ago, Taco said:

Look. These two things could be fixed with a simple fix. 

Get rid of that useless sack named Will Friend. The fact that Harsin was so quick with Corn but won’t do a damn thing with Friend isn’t helping alleviate any concerns regarding CBH’s ineptitude 

Friend was run outta Knoxville on a rail, which should have told us something

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I didn’t know the number is 19. I agree that’s high but this is also just 1st maybe 2nd year of the transfer stuff. I think it will slow down when the new wears off

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yup.  Rhett, Clay Helton, etc.  Would be nice if we had a Kirby available.

We did at one time, interviewed him, but we didn't like his demands....

Hard to know how much of this mess is Harsin's doing versus just bad luck, but we have ZERO momentum.  Bad end of season, bad bowl game, bad recruiting, bad portal process, and many players/coaches leaving.  Something or someone has to change the momentum SOON or this is going to get ugly fast.  Like 2012 ugly.  

Edited by Butthead
spelling error
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We did at one time, interviewed him, but we didn't like his demands....

Kirby?  Thought it was more us demanding he not coach in the Natty.

Even if not, Auburn ppl really need to reset their expectations vs expecting elite coaches wanting to crawl to us and take pennies.  We rejected Napier, possibly Kirby b/c "demands".  We know how one turned out.  Napier was the hottest coach on the market this year after we "laughed" at paying him 1mm more than Harsin.

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Even if not, Auburn ppl really need to reset their expectations vs expecting elite coaches wanting to crawl to us and take pennies.  We rejected Napier, possibly Kirby b/c "demands".  We know how one turned out.  Napier was the hottest coach on the market this year after we "laughed" at paying him 1mm more than Harsin.

That pissed me off. First Kirby. No Freeze...but man I really wanted Napier. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, wcware said:

Our fanbase has become toxic. It started with Gus, moved to Bo, and now it’s on Harsin. I don’t know if it’s just the world we live in now or what. I admit, I overreacted to things I didn’t like about Gus. I rode with Bo until the end. I am sad he is not at Auburn, but I would not have been able to withstand what he was going through on campus on the daily. Now on to Harsin, if Bo doesn’t get hurt, we win 9 games and we aren’t having many of these discussions. Auburn football will be fine but the Auburn family, or the Auburn fanbase, we have a long way to go. You are either in this group or that group and this group doesn’t like that group. We are officially a middle school because that’s how we act. If you don’t think a fanbase effects the program then you are wrong. The contract extension of Gus is when I think most of it started. We have been divided since then. I know I will get facepalmed and roasted for this and thats fine. I have been part of the problem. I agree, things look sketchy at Auburn right now. I have been a season ticket holder since 1985 and I have seen sketchy before. I never remember the fanbase like it is now, during the other “sketchy” times. Anyway, roast away. War Eagle guys!

Thank you and Amen!!

7 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Hard to know how much of this mess is Harsin's doing versus just bad luck, but we have ZERO momentum.  Bad end of season, bad bowl game, bad recruiting, bad portal process, and many players/coaches leaving.  Something or someone has to change the momentum SOON or this is going to get ugly fast.  Like 2012 ugly.  

I wonder where or when that is going to come.  Unless Calzada goes 25-25 for 900 yards this spring, I'm not sure much true momentum will come out of practice.  Maybe if we don't fire a coach before the PSU game we'll be going in the right direction?

idk, when we sign 0 players tomorrow, it's just going to fuel more negative perception.  It'll be amazing, the first time the NCAA expands a class past 25 and we aren't going to be able to sign the full amount.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Viper said:

You’re right. The only reason a good, well-known HC wouldn’t come to AU is too much competition. See Lincoln Riley. Then again, there’s guys like Brian Kelly who’s dead set on taking down dink every single season. 

I just can’t see the guy leaving Baylor. Tbh, there might not exactly be a bumper crop of big HC candidates this next year. But we’ll know more during the season.

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I just can’t see the guy leaving Baylor. Tbh, there might not exactly be a bumper crop of big HC candidates this next year. But we’ll know more during the season.

Can’t see it either, but if I’m AG, I’ve already got my feelers out, ready to back the Brinks in his driveway on 11/27/22.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

That pissed me off. First Kirby. No Freeze...but man I really wanted Napier. 

Would be nice if someone actually had vision and could see a coaches possible greatness.  Some here said napier's demands were a joke b/c he only had 1 or 2 good seasons...well he had a 3rd and got 7+ from UF.  He might be terrible, coaching hires are so hit or miss, but what if he isn't?  That's 2 coaches that wanted our job in the last 10 years.  1 is probably considered a top 3 coach in the nation.  1 was the hottest coach on the market last year.

We got a guy from Idaho whom no one else was trying to hire.  I liked Harsin.  Disliked half of his staff hires.  Seemed to have a solid plan, won the press conference.  6 games seemed to go well, then just disaster.

Probably a little false hope beating banged up Ole Miss.  Arkansas was a good win

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No idea if this is accurate, but I read he wanted access to our compliance files.  Specific inquiries, as if he was looking for something he could use as leverage over certain boosters.  Given that he was still employed by one of our biggest rivals, and being courted behind the scenes by the other, our athletic department considered it too much of a risk and refused.  Even Dye, who had been promoting him pretty hard, cooled on the idea.

Take it for what it's worth, which at this point is little more than a compelling story.

WDE!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

A question and a point...

• did any of the "rumored" mass transfers happen in the last 48 hours?  Seems like a lot of angst here based on s*** house rumors.
  • Harsin, and the athletic dept more broadly, are doing a terrible job of managing communications right now.  There is obviously a crisis...if nothing else a crisis of confidence that can't help but impact the players.  When that happens you have to over communicate; not pull a Trudeau and hide from the world.  Now, they may very well be communicating well with the players...since workouts have started they have plenty of opportunities.  But, they are failing at communicating with the fanbase and potential prospects more broadly.  I don't get this.  The "marketing" dept is failing 101 right now.  

I hope cbo sees this re. communications. Maybe he will react differently to you.

• Like 1