Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If he is going to go down, it will be with his people. 

Folks gonna be disappointed if they think Harsin will be fired next year. Short of a NCAA scandal. He has got at least 2 more years. Losing Davis is bad PR, but he was gonna have limited input on game days

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kirby?  Thought it was more us demanding he not coach in the Natty.

Even if not, Auburn ppl really need to reset their expectations vs expecting elite coaches wanting to crawl to us and take pennies.  We rejected Napier, possibly Kirby b/c "demands".  We know how one turned out.  Napier was the hottest coach on the market this year after we "laughed" at paying him 1mm more than Harsin.

The  "discussion" with Kirby involved some issues on both sides.

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Folks gonna be disappointed if they think Harsin will be fired next year. Short of a NCAA scandal. He has got at least 2 more years. Losing Davis is bad PR, but he was gonna have limited input on game days

Agreed and folks may as well strap up and get ready for a bumpy ride for the next 2 yrs because he gets at least 2 more more seasons to prove himself.  This isn't a place where coaches get canned on a whim, Auburn coaches are paid well and they stay a long while.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Like 2012 ugly. 

I seem to recall someone saying this several weeks back and took on a pack of hyenas. Welcome aboard. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Folks gonna be disappointed if they think Harsin will be fired next year. Short of a NCAA scandal. He has got at least 2 more years.

Go 6-6 again and we’ll know who stays and who’s fired. It won’t be AG who’s fired. 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The worst part is that instead of trying again, the next hire they'll just double back on "keeping it within the family"

And that’s why it sucks if this guy fails. I highly doubt the BoT has the wherewithal to try a similar process for a while, even though I HIGHLY doubt a Kevin Steele or a Bill Clark is changing Auburn’s downward trajectory, which still holds whether it was 6 wins or 8-9

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

And that’s why it sucks if this guy fails. I highly doubt the BoT has the wherewithal to try a similar process for a while, even though I HIGHLY doubt a Kevin Steele or a Bill Clark is changing Auburn’s downward trajectory, which still holds whether it was 6 wins or 8-9

Kill me if it is Bill Clark.  Hopefully we can find someone regional who knows how to play the game.  Or a coordinator from an elite P5 school.  I don't even know who those guys would be next year.  Hopefully Bry can pull some scientology magic out of his ass.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Agreed and folks may as well strap up and get ready for a bumpy ride for the next 2 yrs because he gets at least 2 more more seasons to prove himself.  This isn't a place where coaches get canned on a whim, Auburn coaches are paid well and they stay a long while.  

Less than 10 yrs ago, a HC won a legit National Championship (not a phony 1941 AP popularity contest) at Auburn and was canned two yrs later. TWO yrs. Not given a 3rd yr to make it right. No scandal. No sanctions. 

ALL well prior to NIL, the transfer portal, HCs fired after 1-2 yrs and HCs jumping from perennial 11-win programs to those who aren’t.

But consecutive losing seasons gets him another shot.

alright-jenniferlawrence.gif

Edited by Viper

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Kill me if it is Bill Clark.  Hopefully we can find someone regional who knows how to play the game.  Or a coordinator from an elite P5 school.  I don't even know who those guys would be next year.  Hopefully Bry can pull some scientology magic out of his ass.

I really just meant for the main guys it seemed like the “traditional” powers wanted last cycle. But virtually all those guys are right where they were last time, and outside of Mario or Napier, I doubt they won’t be receiving a call if changes were made…

59 minutes ago, Viper said:

Can’t see it either, but if I’m AG, I’ve already got my feelers out, ready to back the Brinks in his driveway on 11/27/22.

ADAG will not be making that decision. Unless he really changes some minds with the CBP contract, he's done when Harsin is, probably months before Harsin. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Viper said:

Less than 10 yrs ago, a HC won a legit National Championship (not a phony 1941 AP popularity contest) at Auburn and was canned two yrs later. TWO yrs. Not given a 3rd yr to make it right. No scandal. No sanctions. 

ALL well prior to NIL, the transfer portal, HCs fired after 1-2 yrs and HCs jumping from perennial 11-win programs to those who aren’t.

But consecutive losing seasons gets him another shot.

alright-jenniferlawrence.gif

I agree to an extent but there were definitely scandals. A lot, actually. The 4 player armed robbery. A player was shot and killed. Chizik had the infamous security firm brought in. 

• Like 3

Harsin will be on the hot seat. if there is Another losing season and no significant progress with patching up the offensive line there will be serious consideration of moving on. Just my opinion of course but I really think after another season it will be about trajectory. If the trajectory is moving downwards I wouldn't expect a 3rd year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree but I believe he will get another 3 years.  I think we have to get Gus off the payroll before any decision on Harsin is made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Go 6-6 again and we’ll know who stays and who’s fired. It won’t be AG who’s fired. 

I'm not happy with a breakeven record either... AU needs a homerun hire... So Viper ,if he is canned who do u suggest we get.... No way it happens next year short of an NCAA issue. And be realistic with your candidates. 

14 minutes ago, shabby said:

Harsin will be on the hot seat. if there is Another losing season and no significant progress with patching up the offensive line there will be serious consideration of moving on. Just my opinion of course but I really think after another season it will be about trajectory. If the trajectory is moving downwards I wouldn't expect a 3rd year.

If it's all about trajectory,  Gustav Malzahn IV would have been fired 3 yrs b4 he was

I did a quick tally, and since August we have had 20 transfer away from our program, and 36 total since Harsin took over. 

For comparison, South Carolina has lost 11 since August and 23 since Shane Beamer took over.  Tennessee has lost 14 since August and a total 31 since Josh Heupel took over.  Florida has lost 9 since August.

Take it for what this is worth.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I agree but I believe he will get another 3 years.  I think we have to get Gus off the payroll before any decision on Harsin is made.

That's not how we operate. If he tanks this year it's over. Too much negative attention. 

I hate it too, but things aren't trending in the right direction. But, if he wins this year and gets some momentum, a lot of this will fall to the wayside.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If it's all about trajectory,  Gustav Malzahn IV would have been fired 3 yrs b4 he was

That's simply not true. 2017 and 2019 ruins your trajectory argument. Especially 2019. Win over Alabama. Bo Nix as a freshman. Expectations were solid at that point. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not happy with a breakeven record either... AU needs a homerun hire... So Viper ,if he is canned who do u suggest we get.... No way it happens next year short of an NCAA issue. And be realistic with your candidates. 

Hugh Freeze

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

That's simply not true. 2017 and 2019 ruins your trajectory argument. Especially 2019. Win over Alabama. Bo Nix as a freshman. Expectations were solid at that point. 

Not hardly. Both those yrs ended in 4 loses