Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

1 minute ago, Didba said:

To be fair to Harsin there is only so much vetting you can do if a guy is telling you to your face he is ready to put the work in for recruiting, and you have Pete Carrol vouching for the guy.  Still really strange all around.

If the job requirements were honestly conveyed, which I would imagine they were, then I agree. That particular rumor is a head scratcher and I’m not convinced that’s the real story. May be the excuse though.

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's what Hoke just put out.

Also. Harsin originally tried to hire Eric Kiesau but he turned down the job thinking he wasn't ready.

Disaster 

If Kiesau turned the job down b4, I agree.. Total clown show. Trying hard to support Harsin but he is making it difficult 

• Like 5

Just now, Barnacle said:

If the job requirements were honestly conveyed, which I would imagine they were, then I agree. That particular rumor is a head scratcher and I’m not convinced that’s the real story. May be the excuse though.

100%. 

There’s little to zero excuse for somebody leaving because you didn’t tell that the full responsibility of being an OC at a P5 program, especially in the SEC West. Then the hire being “overwhelmed” two weeks into the job lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Actually this is part 4. Hired Bobo, fired. Hired Hill, was blocked by compliance (thank goodness). Hired Davis, sounds like he is gone. Now on to #4. 

Now I am worried. coaches are leaving in droves. 

I was trying to contain it to this season. 

But if Hoke is right, it is part 4.

Tried to hire Hill. Kiesau turned him down. Hired Davis who quit. Now trying to hire Kiesau again 

Just now, cbo said:

This is why you hire someone with actual coaching experience. Not two years coaching an established superstar QB. Recruiting takes more than “hey, I know Russel Wilson!” 

“Hey it worked for Joe Brady” 

As the passing-game coordinator protected by a veteran OC 

But sometimes Harsin can do no wrong around here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Who knows man... this is wild, y'all all know me to try and be a very positive guy on here and a strong Harsin supporter because I love his offensive scheme but yeeeesh man, I don't know.  I'll eat crow I guess.

• Like 2

Just now, Didba said:

Who knows man... this is wild, y'all all know me to try and be a very positive guy on here and a strong Harsin supporter because I love his offensive scheme but yeeeesh man, I don't know.  I'll eat crow I guess.

Eat crow for what? You are very rational in your thinking, but you are also willing to take into circumstances and say okay the trends don't make sense. No need to eat crow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

This is why you hire someone with actual coaching experience. Not two years coaching an established superstar QB. Recruiting takes more than “hey, I know Russel Wilson!” 

This is the first time I am truly at a loss for this coaching staff. This is just so so weird.  I am also hearing some of the stuff @W.E.D is saying as well, seems too farfetched to be true that he would feel overwhelmed and bounce but man honestly who knows at this point.

• Like 1

Not yet. It could still work out lol. 

But Harsin has shown so many red flags since November I think it’s hard to keep drinking the kool-aid

• Like 3

No need to eat crow. As long as Harsins "cruitin finger" ain't broke,we all good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taco said:

“Hey it worked for Joe Brady” 

As the passing-game coordinator protected by a veteran OC 

But sometimes Harsin can do no wrong around here.

Yep. Lots of people used a one time example of a generational QB and insanely talented offense as a “rule.” 

Just now, DAG said:

Eat crow for what? You are very rational in your thinking, but you are also willing to take into circumstances and say okay the trends don't make sense. No need to eat crow.

I guess you are right but I meant eat crow on being such an ardent supporter of Harsin.  I guess I don't really have too but this is just very very weird.  This is a very puzzling turn of events to me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really appreciate this, just for what its worth.

• Like 1

Just now, cbo said:

Yep. Lots of people used a one time example of a generational QB and insanely talented offense as a “rule.” 

To be fair. 

if you said that Burrows was a generational talent when Brady was hired people would have mocked you. Lol

But regardless. This isn’t a good look. I’m just hoping CBH isn’t our Jeremy Pruitt

1 minute ago, CR said:

Transfer Portal- 0 players incoming at OL and WR. 2 huge question marks at QB. Players leaving in droves, including 8 DL. At this rate DL will look like OL within a few years. Looks like no more incoming transfers headed this way.

Coaches- Lost highly respected DC and DL coach. Struck out on at least top 2 DL coach candidates. Fired WR coach four games into season, replaced with coach from Boise who everyone knew was going to be on staff at first opportunity.Fired OC who was supposed to help recruiting in the region and to top it off, lost his son to main rival at our biggest position of need. Tried to replace him with coach under the shadow of NCAA investigation, blocked by administration here. Said coach was later fired by his current employer. Hired an NFL QB coach to much acclaim, now looks like he'll never have a coaches photo taken here. OL coach was expected to be replaced according to several of the beat guys but he somehow remains after signing 1 HS OLineman and totally bombing in the portal.

Recruiting- Struggled most of the early cycle, some improvement at the end to salvage a decent class. Good chance of a total bomb in the late signing period. Hard to see Schmedding/Brumbaugh as anything other than a step back in recruiting in comparison to Mason/Eason. Carnell and Ethridge(along with Trovon Reed, who we depend on desperately despite not even being an on field coach) are left trying to pick up the (considerable) slack of the other coaches in recruiting, especially with Mason and Eason gone.

This all followed a season that ended with 5 consecutive losses after having a lead in most if not all of these games. And from some credible posters here, he has struggled to connect with the boosters who, like it or not, Auburn is heavily dependent on for financial support. I'm mystified how Harsin has any support left at this point.

Yikes 

5 minutes ago, Taco said:

To be fair. 

if you said that Burrows was a generational talent when Brady was hired people would have mocked you. Lol

But regardless. This isn’t a good look. I’m just hoping CBH isn’t our Jeremy Pruitt

No cheating involved as far as we know. So not as bad as Pruitt.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

CR - I agree, but you can just say disaster or post the titanic next time to save time hahaha

I honestly do not remember ever seeing any quotes or any articles about Davis actually at Auburn. Are we sure he exists?

2 minutes ago, CR said:

Transfer Portal- 0 players incoming at OL and WR. 2 huge question marks at QB. Players leaving in droves, including 8 DL. At this rate DL will look like OL within a few years. Looks like no more incoming transfers headed this way.

Coaches- Lost highly respected DC and DL coach. Struck out on at least top 2 DL coach candidates. Fired WR coach four games into season, replaced with coach from Boise who everyone knew was going to be on staff at first opportunity.Fired OC who was supposed to help recruiting in the region and to top it off, lost his son to main rival at our biggest position of need. Tried to replace him with coach under the shadow of NCAA investigation, blocked by administration here. Said coach was later fired by his current employer. Hired an NFL QB coach to much acclaim, now looks like he'll never have a coaches photo taken here. OL coach was expected to be replaced according to several of the beat guys but he somehow remains after signing 1 HS OLineman and totally bombing in the portal.

Recruiting- Struggled most of the early cycle, some improvement at the end to salvage a decent class. Good chance of a total bomb in the late signing period. Hard to see Schmedding/Brumbaugh as anything other than a step back in recruiting in comparison to Mason/Eason. Carnell and Ethridge(along with Trovon Reed, who we depend on desperately despite not even being an on field coach) are left trying to pick up the (considerable) slack of the other coaches in recruiting, especially with Mason and Eason gone.

This all followed a season that ended with 5 consecutive losses after having a lead in most if not all of these games. And from some credible posters here, he has struggled to connect with the boosters who, like it or not, Auburn is heavily dependent on for financial support. I'm mystified how Harsin has any support left at this point.

shi-tastrophe!

8 minutes ago, Didba said:

No reason to eat crow. Just like those who hated Harsin from the start should not boast. It's not over yet and we all knew failure was a possibility. It always is. The important thing to me is applying reason and logic based on current circumstances. 

I like his offensive scheme too and I thought he had a detailed plan. I guess we will see. 

• Like 1