Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

15 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but outside of Auburn and Charlotte, Cam isn't exactly viewed favorably. 

That's extremely untrue. You definitely live in a rural Alabama town to say that. Bama fans are obsessed with him and act like people outside the state actually care about the old allegations.

NFL players LOVE Cam. NFL fans in general do too. His return this year was a feel good story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

That's extremely untrue. You definitely live in a rural Alabama town to say that. Bama fans are obsessed with him and act like people outside the state actually care about the old allegations.

NFL players LOVE Cam. NFL fans in general do too. His return this year was a feel good story.

Maybe it felt good to a bunch of them because he performed pretty badly.

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm not happy with a breakeven record either... AU needs a homerun hire... So Viper ,if he is canned who do u suggest we get.... No way it happens next year short of an NCAA issue. And be realistic with your candidates. 

Already gave my first candidate. 

It will happen without any NCAA issues…which is irrelevant now…see Arizona St. 

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Maybe it felt good to a bunch of them because he performed pretty badly.

Don't get me wrong, the guy isn't Peyton Manning or Michael Strahan. But his style of play and personality are going to be long remembered in the NFL and looked back on fondly.

The dude freaking invented the dab. People are STILL (unfortunately) doing it. 

56 minutes ago, Didba said:

This is the greatest thing I have ever witnessed folks.  Bury me please as nothing will ever top this in my life, sorry to my Wife, future children, my parents. This is it. This is the one.

Glad I could be of service. Lol. Can I be in the accused mansplainer group as a female?? 🤔🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viper said:

Less than 10 yrs ago, a HC won a legit National Championship (not a phony 1941 AP popularity contest) at Auburn and was canned two yrs later. TWO yrs. Not given a 3rd yr to make it right. No scandal. No sanctions. 

ALL well prior to NIL, the transfer portal, HCs fired after 1-2 yrs and HCs jumping from perennial 11-win programs to those who aren’t.

But consecutive losing seasons gets him another shot.

Since Dye served his 12 yrs, Chizik served the lowest tenure (4 yrs) off the last 5 HC's at Auburn. 

And Chizik was not scandaless (is that a word?)  He went through the colonoscopy of Cecil Newton and the crap that entailed and won the 1st NC in +50 yrs.  Chizik also had the "Hit a Lick Felony 4 gang" + the Michael Dyer fiasco + had Tim Jackson act as Cam Newton's shadow + hired security detail to control the players and enforce curfew.  

Everyone has their own opinion on CBH, I don't see them canning him even if he turns in back to back losing seasons.  Until he gets HIS players in here and HIS coaching staff, he'll have a few years to prove himself in the SEC.  It will be a tough time for us fans, but they aren't firing him in '22 or '23 IMO. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That's a silly way to put it. I suppose you also think Art Briles didn't bear any responsibility in the Baylor scandals?

A leader of an organization doesn't actually have to do anything scandalous himself if the organization he oversees is churning them out.

I'm not saying Chizik wasn't a good dude, but you're gonna lose me if you try to say the types of players he brought in, and the culture he allowed to fester in his locker room, wasn't within his control.

It was. And it led to multiple scandals. 

Not going to turn this into a Chizik debate. Yes he had major housekeeping issues, but no NCAA issues. 

Point is…it will not take any NCAA issues to fire Harsin if he wins 6 or less in 2022.

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The worst part is that instead of trying again, the next hire they'll just double back on "keeping it within the family"

This. Literally been the main reason I been pulling for Harsin to get it all worked out because I have zero doubt that if Harsin has another losing season and Rhett Lashlee wins 9+ at SMU….. well…… 

10 hours ago, wcware said:

Our fanbase has become toxic. It started with Gus, moved to Bo, and now it’s on Harsin. I don’t know if it’s just the world we live in now or what. I admit, I overreacted to things I didn’t like about Gus. I rode with Bo until the end. I am sad he is not at Auburn, but I would not have been able to withstand what he was going through on campus on the daily. Now on to Harsin, if Bo doesn’t get hurt, we win 9 games and we aren’t having many of these discussions. Auburn football will be fine but the Auburn family, or the Auburn fanbase, we have a long way to go. You are either in this group or that group and this group doesn’t like that group. We are officially a middle school because that’s how we act. If you don’t think a fanbase effects the program then you are wrong. The contract extension of Gus is when I think most of it started. We have been divided since then. I know I will get facepalmed and roasted for this and thats fine. I have been part of the problem. I agree, things look sketchy at Auburn right now. I have been a season ticket holder since 1985 and I have seen sketchy before. I never remember the fanbase like it is now, during the other “sketchy” times. Anyway, roast away. War Eagle guys!

I'd qualify this only by saying our online fanbase. The vast majority of fans have never visited a message board, much less posted in one. Agree that there has been a strange influx of division and tribalism in places like this, but it helps to remember that no one really acts like this in the real world. Message boards just attract the fanatical, or people who have too much time on their hands. But, who am I to criticize? I'm here, aren't I?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am not one of the many here who seem to think the train is completely off the rails and cannot be recovered at this point. Having said that....if things continue the way they have been for the last 4 months or so, I think Harsin finds his own way out of this for some reason. A way to save face and reputation before he completely sinks a program. I could be wrong.

Harsin wont find his on way out if it entails walking away from an enormous guaranteed buyout.

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Harsin wont find his on way out if it entails walking away from an enormous guaranteed buyout.

I get that and 99 percent of time I would agree with you, but I have a feeling that is how it will go. I mean it was already stated he was interested in the West Coast jobs this past year. I could just see a situation where he sees the danger he is in and splits to another place before burning the house down and his name.

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'd qualify this only by saying our online fanbase. The vast majority of fans have never visited a message board, much less posted in one. Agree that there has been a strange influx of division and tribalism in places like this, but it helps to remember that no one really acts like this in the real world. Message boards just attract the fanatical, or people who have too much time on their hands. But, who am I to criticize? I'm here, aren't I?

Raises hand.  

I love this place to kill time during the day before audit/tax season hits me like a load of bricks. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What I meant to say is each one of the seasons u mentioned ended with 4 loses on the year. Some of his other ones had more than 4 loses...since 2014 it was an overall downward trajectory. And he still was given multiple years after that

I don't think you understand the definition of trajectory. Hey 2017 head is beating both the number one team in the number two team in the nation. 2019 had a speeding the number one team in the nation. If anything you could say Gus was inconsistent. But its trajectory was not a continuous downward pattern. He lost his job after going 6 and 4 in SEC play in 2020. Something tells me coach harsin won't get as much grace as you think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If we are off the rails, we won't be able to afford not to cut him loose. 

I'm not saying he's gone if things stabilize but we only win 6, I'm saying he's gone if it's still a circus and we win 6.

I know where you are coming from but to me but when we have sufficient cash flow to buy only another Harsin.  It doesn't make much sense to continue kicking the can down the road instead of biting the bullet now.  Even though we continue to kick the can down the road a day of reckoning is coming and when that day comes we won't be off the rails we will be in an all out train wreck.  I can only hope that people at Auburn Atheletic department don't sacrifice the long term good for short term appearance.

Edited by Carnell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

Oh I know, I was attempting to slyly point out her hypocrisy. She is easily my least favorite poster on this board and I have had words with many a fool on here.

I second the “hair trigger” on the mansplaining gun because what she claims is such is usually just other posters disagreeing with her. 

Now I will say “mansplaining” is real (if that’s what you want to call it) because I have experienced that myself. However it was in the legit form of a male customer at my job (that I was trained tirelessly for) telling me I didn’t know what I was talking about before telling me how I needed to do my job and then after that he proceeded to tell my boss he should have hired a man.

That’s a legitimate example of “mansplaining” because his intention was malicious from the start. 

I’ve never had someone mansplain football to me because as soon as I open my mouth they know immediately that if need be I can hold my own in a conversation about the logistics of football. 

Just seems the poster may jump the gun on accusing someone of mansplaining things if they don’t know the person they are talking to is in fact a woman….. 

But I digress. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I somewhat disagree, he is very polarizing among NFL fans, I see a 50/50 split on r/nfl of fans that love him and fans that hate him.  Of course that subreddit is a microcosm and doesn't represent the NFL fanbase as a whole so maybe he is more liked than I realize.

24 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Glad I could be of service. Lol. Can I be in the accused mansplainer group as a female?? 🤔🤔

Well according to the final inquisitor on the matter you definitely can!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I second the “hair trigger” on the mansplaining gun because what she claims is such is usually just other posters disagreeing with her. 

Now I will say “mansplaining” is real (if that’s what you want to call it) because I have experienced that myself. However it was in the legit form of a male customer at my job (that I was trained tirelessly for) telling me I didn’t know what I was talking about before telling me how I needed to do my job and then after that he proceeded to tell my boss he should have hired a man.

That’s a legitimate example of “mansplaining” because his intention was malicious from the start. 

I’ve never had someone mansplain football to me because as soon as I open my mouth they know immediately that if need be I can hold my own in a conversation about the logistics of football. 

Just seems the poster may jump the gun on accusing someone of mansplaining things if they don’t know the person they are talking to is in fact a woman….. 

But I digress. 

That is a wonderful explanation and example of mainsplaining, maybe the other poster will read it and become 1% more self aware.  

Personally, I think if you treat everyone the same no matter the gender you cannot mansplain, but that's just how I approach things.

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

200.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

That is a wonderful explanation and example of mainsplaining, maybe the other poster will read it and become 1% more self aware.  

Personally, I think if you treat everyone the same no matter the gender you cannot mansplain, but that's just how I approach things.

Agreed. I can be a real ***hole but hey, I strive to be an ***hole to everyone equally. Lolol. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I get that and 99 percent of time I would agree with you, but I have a feeling that is how it will go. I mean it was already stated he was interested in the West Coast jobs this past year. I could just see a situation where he sees the danger he is in and splits to another place before burning the house down and his name.

I'm curious as to who stated this and why? If that was true, why didn't he apply for any of the HC openings this year?  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

I'm curious as to who stated this and why? If that was true, why didn't he apply for any of the HC openings this year?  

Let me correct myself. It was rumored. IIRC his name was mentioned with the Washington Job and then another one. Who knows what if any contact was made behind the scenes. I am just saying. If this keeps going downhill I could see him bailing back to the left side of the country where he fits in a little better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Kill me if it is Bill Clark.  Hopefully we can find someone regional who knows how to play the game.  Or a coordinator from an elite P5 school.  I don't even know who those guys would be next year.  Hopefully Bry can pull some scientology magic out of his ass.

I can tolerate someone if they’re a proven recruiter and they seem capable of assembling a great staff. For that reason, I could totally live with the “all AU staff” proposed in that thread that got poo-pooed.

Edited by AUwent

52 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Can't speak for everyone, but welcome to the group!

• Like 1