Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

1) That should be obvious. He's one in a string of guys who left quickly and without making vertical career moves. On top of the guys who were fired after less than a year. The interest in his personal life is only as it relates to whether it really is a him problem or a Harsin problem. 

2) He took a very public facing job for a very large amount of money and then quit after less than a week. Let's be real here. The speculation is normal and natural.

That said, yes, we can ask each other to fight that normal and natural impulse and be above it.

Personally, I won't care one way or the other unless he does take another coaching job fairly soon. That seems unlikely, though, because I doubt there are too many quality jobs out there at this point on the football calendar waiting for a guy with his resume. 

Hopefully he's the next Sark and he's got a bright future in the business ahead of him.

I think you are incorrect on number of quality jobs available. In NFL this is the time when most of the jobs start opening up.

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Hilarious. Another situation people give the usual, he hates recruiting and time with kids. Find out he doesn't have kids, and then it's why does it even matter?? 😂😂😂

Just another example of a guy getting here and seeing how our program is made up and saying no thanks 🚫. Nothing is wrong though

And here's the thing. Maybe those excuses seemed more palatable than whatever mental health or addiction issues people are now speculating about. Okay, I'm with you, sure. And if it really is something personal and painful, we should quit digging. Yep, gotcha, still with you. No problem. 

But pretend that there's a totally legitimate excuse for three different staff members quitting without getting a promotion? That Harsin fired two other guys he selected before the bowl game? That we've had 19 players enter the portal and only 5 come back our way so far? That we're about to get possibly zero signatures on one of the two signing days when we still have lots of slots to fill and even more need than slots? Nah, man. Don't tell me to ignore all that. Don't tell me to not wonder what's going on. Don't tell me to just be patient and wait for the spring wash to spit out the rest of our roster.

I was saying all that same stuff back before we had both our coordinators quit and then move on to a lesser job and straight up unemployment. But, uh, yeah, that changes things. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think you are incorrect on number of quality jobs available. In NFL this is the time when most of the jobs start opening up.

And I believe you missed my qualifier of "for a guy with his resume". 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And here's the thing. Maybe those excuses seemed more palatable than whatever mental health or addiction issues people are now speculating about. Okay, I'm with you, sure. And if it really is something personal and painful, we should quit digging. Yep, gotcha, still with you. No problem. 

But pretend that there's a totally legitimate excuse for three different staff members quitting without getting a promotion? That Harsin fired two other guys he selected before the bowl game? That we've had 19 players enter the portal and only 5 come back our way so far? That we're about to get possibly zero signatures on one of the two signing days when we still have lots of slots to fill and even more need than slots? Nah, man. Don't tell me to ignore all that. Don't tell me to not wonder what's going on. Don't tell me to just be patient and wait for the spring wash to spit out the rest of our roster.

I was saying all that same stuff back before we had both our coordinators quit and then move on to a lesser job and straight up unemployment. But, uh, yeah, that changes things. 

image.gif.c7577f9551bda23b6928d03e66053cf4.gif

image.gif.66cf75dd294cf0103affe3dfe59c3121.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

@McLoofushas your tone on this circus changed? Last time I spoke to you, you were still hopeful.

It definitely has. Once Mason picked Mike ******* Gundy over our coach and Still ******* water Oklahoma over our campus, it started changing. This Austin Davis situation and the fact that we're about to go through one of two signing days without a single new signature, while we are hemorrhaging players... Am I panicked? No. I don't panic over Auburn football anymore. But I've lost most of my optimism. 

• Like 2

I'm still on my we have to see what it happens from first year to second....I'm still completely on that but it's no he only had this player or that player. He made very big decisions and got rid of people so now it's on him. There's no excuses. Like I don't want to hear first year in the defense. Don't want to hear about o line. His decisions. Let's see if he knows what he is doing

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It definitely has. Once Mason picked Mike ******* Gundy over our coach and Still ******* water Oklahoma over our campus, it started changing. This Austin Davis situation and the fact that we're about to go through one of two signing days without a single new signature, while we are hemorrhaging players... Am I panicked? No. I don't panic over Auburn football anymore. But I've lost most of my optimism. 

Yea the Mason thing got me. I’m pretty much done with Harsin until he shows that he can do this. I have very little faith in him, anymore. I have a feeling they threw a sh*t ton of NIL money at all of those returning seniors, because Harsin knew he wad screwed in the portal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I'm still on my we have to see what it happens from first year to second....I'm still completely on that but it's no he only had this player or that player. He made very big decisions and got rid of people so now it's on him. There's no excuses. Like I don't want to hear first year in the defense. Don't want to hear about o line. His decisions. Let's see if he knows what he is doing

I think he has a vision, but absolutely no way to implement it, because nobody wants to work with his a** if they even know who he is at all. Bringing in an outsider from Idaho who had no experience or connections in the SEC was a extremely risky decision. 

Simply put, he’s in over his head. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think he has a vision, but absolutely no way to implement it

I believe that he and his Idaho guys could coach up a talented roster in the SEC. I really do.

What I have lost faith in is...

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

because nobody wants to work with his a** if they even know who he is at all

...this. He had no problem landing his initial staff because, hey, Auburn. But that's gone. And no matter how good the teaching and game day coaching is, it doesn't matter if we can't bring in and retain the talent to compete. I just don't see how that happens going forward unless something fundamental changes, and those don't happen much. Wasted way too much time waiting for that to happen with the last guy. 

Being able to coach kids up is one thing but u still need the talent. Last season there was still a good amount of highly rated players on the team and with competent coaching looked pretty decent minus the losing streak.

The 2023 season will be the most telling because the rest of talent pool will be gone. Not sure to date that equal or better talent has been signed. 

4 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

So... I guess we should create a new thread if we just want to talk about potential OC candidates?

Yep. This one's for complaining about off topic threads without making any effort to get them back on topic.

(Feel free to name some candidates for us to discuss. You know. Actually put in some effort and contribute to getting the conversation to where you want it to be.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

Yep. This one's for complaining about off topic threads without making any effort to get them back on topic.

(Feel free to name some candidates for us to discuss. You know. Actually put in some effort and contribute to getting the conversation to where you want it to be.)

LOL, that would be a lost cause--this thread is what it is. Just wondering if we should have a separate thread, and ya'll can carry on here.

1 minute ago, Zinzan said:

LOL, that would be a lost cause--this thread is what it is. Just wondering if we should have a separate thread, and ya'll can carry on here.

Nah, you're not wondering. You're just complaining without making the slightest effort to offer a solution. It's cool. We all do it. 

• Like 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

Nah, you're not wondering. You're just complaining without making the slightest effort to offer a solution. It's cool. We all do it. 

You're very fiesty. I'm not complaining. Just wondering if we know of any reasonable candidates.

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And I believe you missed my qualifier of "for a guy with his resume". 

I didn’t miss that, just didn’t think his particular resume is different than many others. Seattle was not the only team that had QB coach that wasn’t OC. Unless you are thinking the impact to his resume from the AU stint.

2 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

You're very fiesty. I'm not complaining. Just wondering if we know of any reasonable candidates.

Maybe you're new here, so a pro tip, free of charge. When there's something to talk about, it gets talked about. Since there are no new names being discussed, that means there are no new names. 

There's some psychology to that. People love to be first with new information. And there are hundreds, if not thousands of people here who are plugged into Twitter, subscription sites, and actual Auburn business. Combine those two variables and you are guaranteed that useful information will show up here immediately after becoming available. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe you're new here, so a pro tip, free of charge. When there's something to talk about, it gets talked about. Since there are no new names being discussed, that means there are no new names. 

There's some psychology to that. People love to be first with new information. And there are hundreds, if not thousands of people here who are plugged into Twitter, subscription sites, and actual Auburn business. Combine those two variables and you are guaranteed that useful information will show up here immediately after becoming available. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks, you're a peach. 🍑

Edited by Zinzan
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I didn’t miss that, just didn’t think his particular resume is different than many others. Seattle was not the only team that had QB coach that wasn’t OC. Unless you are thinking the impact to his resume from the AU stint.

I think that were he destined for an NFL gig equal to or better than the one he had, he wouldn't have taken this detour in the first place. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

People have named the candidates they know. We have a fella named Bodie in the mix. Other than that, nobody knows sh*t. Here I’ll pull a Jboy.

Hearing from a reliable source that Dameyune Craig and……wait for it…..

Dell McGee are the top candidates. 

If it’s someone else, some stuff went down behind the scenes of no fault of Harsin’s and it didn’t work out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hope that helps. 

I subscribed to The Bunker during the Caleb Williams things because I love B Matt and Jay G. But as far as forum substance goes, I got no more info than what I get here. Also, for those who think I’m pessimistic, try spending an hour reading The Bunker. 

Moral of the story, nobody really knows anything until like 10 mins before the university announces it anymore.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

Thanks, you're a peach. 🍑

Huh. You really went back and added a huge picture of a peach after I'd already replied. 

Your commitment to learning more about our search for an offensive coordinator is a guiding light for us all. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. You really went back and added a huge picture of a peach after I'd already replied. 

Your commitment to learning more about our search for an offensive coordinator is a guiding light for us all. 

Yeah, I thought you deserved it. Thanks again!

• Haha 1