Auburn OC Search, Part III

W.E.D

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I do believe that part's going to stop. He's replacing the outgoing coaches with guys who followed him here. Once they're all in place I think we'll see the roster numbers level out, too... if he survives long enough for that to happen.

Will he get kids talented enough to compete, though? That's where my optimism has nose dived. 

The talent part is what’s intriguing. Once the remaining players leave after this season are there any highly rated players coming in that are possible game changers. I guess only time will tell. As I mentioned in an earlier thread. I don’t Kirby is the greatest X’s and O’s guy but having superior talent can mask a lot of those mistakes.

19 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

I haven't read this whole thread, I apologize if this is the wrong place...but what is happening to Auburn football is absolutely disheartening. For me, I feel like Gus resigned us to defeat. You normally knew pretty early in the game if we were going to destroy an opponent or basically just not show up on offense. We knew going into each season that we'd most likely have 4 games like that per year. We braced for it...it was inevitable. 

What Harsin has done is even worse, he has removed hope that it will get better. We are a dumpster fire right now, and only making the press for all the wrong reasons. The revolving door of coaches and players leaves us on a shaky footing that could devolve into a Tennessee winter. I fear the worst at this point honestly. 

Like beating LSU in Baton Rouge for the first time in 20 years, taking bammer to the wire with a backup QB and butterfinger receivers? Yes, no hope for the future! Ridiculous! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Like beating LSU in Baton Rouge for the first time in 20 years, taking bammer to the wire with a backup QB and butterfinger receivers? Yes, no hope for the future! Ridiculous! 

I ask u this. Yes LSU was a good win but where is the coach now and did Auburn win or lose to Alabama. Taking Bama to the wire don’t mean much in the wins and losses category. Respectfully 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. You really went back and added a huge picture of a peach after I'd already replied. 

Your commitment to learning more about our search for an offensive coordinator is a guiding light for us all. 

At least they didn't call u a prune or some other repugnant fruit.. Peach is up there with 🍓 and 🍉 in my book

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

Honestly, from my very admittedly uneducated standpoint, this entire Harsin episode seems a lesson in how not to build a program in itself. (Part of your point) He was hired supposedly on a long term plan. He then proceeds to lose half his coaching staff in year one, hire an OC who apparently had some personal issues that escaped vetting and has now left before signing day, almost completely fail in recruiting when it was a top of the list priority due to the neglect of the previous coach and - as you said - almost entirely fail to sell what you're cooking to the fanbase in any way. 

The amount of catch-up Harsin has created for himself ON TOP OF what Malzahn had already left seems insurmountable for one coach in today's SEC, which makes me fear we absolutely are on the Tennessee road to get back into things. 

In short, thank the heavens for Auburn basketball. 

I can't imagine how rough things'll get if we really do get on the Tennessee road after clowning Tennessee for however long. People will be very angsty to say the least 

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

At least they didn't call u a prune or some other repugnant fruit.. Peach is up there with 🍓 and 🍉 in my book

Or how about a potato. Seems to be the ultimate insult all the kids are using. Your mamma is a potatoe. Burn!

26 minutes ago, e808 said:

I ask u this. Yes LSU was a good win but where is the coach now and did Auburn win or lose to Alabama. Taking Bama to the wire don’t mean much in the wins and losses category. Respectfully 

this has also been one of the most flawed Alabama teams since 2010. I would contend the most flawed one since that year. Success (in a very shoddy SEC) aside, LSU, Auburn, and Florida were all bad teams and they should've lost to at least 2 of those 3 IMO. The OL was horrid, the CBs were horrid, the RB depth was the worst I've seen them have, and I believe Robinson was still hurt when we played them. 

All in all, I just don't think that can be a 1:1 mitigation of some of the awful losses Harsin sustained

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, e808 said:

The reason we had a chance against Bama was Mason and he is gone.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I'd be careful in declaring early victory regarding claiming Harsin's tenure as a failure already like some on here [cough TB] have already begun to do. The final verdict is still out and we likely won't know for two more seasons whether Haris was a success or a failure. People claiming to already know he was a failure from day 1 [cough TB] are blowing huge smoke and are supremely happy rn because they feel vindicated by these off-season shenanigans.

Whether some of you like it or not, Harsin will be here for at least two more seasons barring a chizikesque collapse.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I do believe that part's going to stop. He's replacing the outgoing coaches with guys who followed him here. Once they're all in place I think we'll see the roster numbers level out, too... if he survives long enough for that to happen.

Will he get kids talented enough to compete, though? That's where my optimism has nose dived. 

Part of me says, let’s wait to see what happens. But on the other hand, part of me thinks that if Auburn doesn’t get him away from our program very very soon, he’s going to kill it. It’s incredibly frustrating to watch. I feel like Tommy T built us back up to a hopeful level, Chiz took us to the promised land, Gus gave us a few good years, stayed pretty mediocre, but managed to not kill the program. But it’s like all of the stuff that has happened since Tommy T was hired is quickly melting away. With this NIL thing in place, Auburn could easily become an SEC bottom feeder, if we don’t stay ahead of the curve. Hiring Harsin wasn’t Auburn proactively announcing that they are ready to be a big time program, consistently. We need that. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Carnell said:

The reason we had a chance against Bama was Mason and he is gone.

The reason we didn't have a chance is gone too.

• Thanks 1

Harsin should've just ported his whole Boise staff over here and been done with it. But of course the folks who were freaking out over us hiring a G5 coach with "nO sEc ExPeRiEnCe" are the same type as those with the money persuading Harsin to hire half of Muschamp's strays and Derrick Mason.

Obviously that was a mistake, and now Harsin has yet another mess to clean up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

The reason we didn't have a chance is gone too.

We didn’t have a chance against Bama, because we had a QB hobbling around on a bum leg, who could barely move. That’s on Bryan Harsin, solely. Any other QB is in that game and we win. 

56 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Lsu was garbage and we almost lost to Georgia State. And the reason we completed with Bama was because of stellar defensive play. Coach Mason is no longer a part of this team. 

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I have spent my last 16 years between Georgia and South Carolina, and I spent an inordinate amount of my time in Alabama driving through Chilton County. If it was possible for a human to actually be a peach, I'd be that human. 

Very good call here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Harsin should've just ported his whole Boise staff over here and been done with it. But of course the folks who were freaking out over us hiring a G5 coach with "nO sEc ExPeRiEnCe" are the same type as those with the money persuading Harsin to hire half of Muschamp's strays and Derrick Mason.

The mistake is not finding coaches that can recruit and perform. That is his job. Not to simply import coaches simply because it easier on his mindset. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We didn’t have a chance against Bama, because we had a QB hobbling around on a bum leg, who could barely move. That’s on Bryan Harsin, solely. Any other QB is in that game and we win. 

Yeah, I should prolly back pedal on that one a little... QB/OL/WR/OC were all issues.  So, 3 out of 4 should be different next year.

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

But of course the folks who were freaking out over us hiring a G5 coach with "nO sEc ExPeRiEnCe" are the same type as those with the money persuading Harsin to hire half of Muschamp's strays and Derrick Mason.

Derrick Mason was a bright spot on last football season. Look what has happened since he left. One month ago, our defense was looking like it was going to be elite. 

You make fun of the concern for Harsin being a G5 coach, but that is exactly the reason we are in this mess right now. He has very little respect and connections in this part of the country. And now we are seeing it play out. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

this has also been one of the most flawed Alabama teams since 2010. I would contend the most flawed one since that year.

My bammer buddies said this well before the IB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Yeah, I should prolly back pedal on that one a little... QB/OL/WR/OC were all issues.  So, 3 out of 4 should be different next year.

We’ve arguably downgraded at all 4. Still waiting to see in the OC, because….well, we still don’t have one.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

Lsu was garbage and we almost lost to Georgia State. And the reason we completed with Bama was because of stellar defensive play. Coach Mason is no longer a part of this team. 

You are correct, so we should all give up and become bammer fans! 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Regardless of the circumstances, it's Harsin's mess and therefore his responsibility to get it cleaned up.