What do all the transfers really mean

LPTiger

I believe there have been about 12 transfers out (who's counting).   I think that all but one (Dreshun Miller) were recruited by Coach Malzhan's staff.    Georgia snatched up 1, but not THAT Georgia, no, the other one, Tech.  Florida stole another, not the Gainesville Florida mind you but the Orlando one.  Alabama also shared in the bounty, you guessed it -- the one in Mobile.  Purdue snagged a guy.   The Hoosiers also took 1.    UK grabbed 1.   In a 3 for 1 swap Oregon took 1.   USC, arguably a better name than Auburn, took 1 player.   But, this guy was trying to play edge at 214 pounds (he gained a total of 4 pounds in 2 years).   It looks like Ole miss will land 3.     What does this all mean?   We want to recruit like Bama and Georgia and we talk about how Gus' class' were always top 10, but here we have 11 of Gus's recruits that neither Bama or UGA or any other top tier SEC program wanted (we can debate OM being top tier based on this 1 year but we beat them).   We see players leaving and we work ourselves into a lather, but is anyone taking the time to consider where these guys are ending up?   Some of these teams are historically bad (Indiana, Ga. Tech and So. AL. combined to win 4 conference games last year -- total).  Putting aside where they landed, another fact is that only 2 of them, Bo and Kobe, were key contributors this past year.   Bo was Bo and Kobe wanted to be a gangster.   Granted the optics aren't great but there would be much greater cause for concern if these guys were key contributors and/or other significant staffs felt they were worthy of a scholarship like Gus did.          

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 3

17 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I believe there have been about 12 transfers out (who's counting).   I think that all but one (Dreshun Miller) were recruited by Coach Malzhan's staff.    Georgia snatched up 1, but not THAT Georgia, no, the other one, Tech.  Florida stole another, not the Gainesville Florida mind you but the Orlando one.  Alabama also shared in the bounty, you guessed it -- the one in Mobile.  Purdue snagged a guy.   The Hoosiers also took 1.    UK grabbed 1.   In a 3 for 1 swap Oregon took 1.   USC, arguably a better name than Auburn, took 1 player.   But, this guy was trying to play edge at 214 pounds (he gained a total of 4 pounds in 2 years).   It looks like Ole miss will land 3.     What does this all mean?   We want to recruit like Bama and Georgia and we talk about how Gus' class' were always top 10, but here we have 11 of Gus's recruits that neither Bama or UGA or any other top tier SEC program wanted (we can debate OM being top tier based on this 1 year but we beat them).   We see players leaving and we work ourselves into a lather, but is anyone taking the time to consider where these guys are ending up?   Some of these teams are historically bad (Indiana, Ga. Tech and So. AL. combined to win 4 conference games last year -- total).  Putting aside where they landed, another fact is that only 2 of them, Bo and Kobe, were key contributors this past year.   Bo was Bo and Kobe wanted to be a gangster.   Granted the optics aren't great but there would be much greater cause for concern if these guys were key contributors and/or other significant staffs felt they were worthy of a scholarship like Gus did.          

Totally disagree that only 2 were key.  Guess I'm out of the loop as far as what is meant that Kobe wanted to be a gangster

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

"that neither Bama or UGA or any other top tier SEC program wanted"

that could entirely be a players descretion based on roster / playing time / money being offered. just because an Alabama comes knocking doesn't automatically mean a player is going to say yes sign me up.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Guess I'm out of the loop as far as what is meant that Kobe wanted to be a gangster

I was holding out hope somebody that wasn’t me was going to call this poster out for this lol

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Totally disagree that only 2 were key.  Guess I'm out of the loop as far as what is meant that Kobe wanted to be a gangster

He from the North, I'm from the South. ;) 

• Haha 1

I'm less concerned with the players that have been leaving as I am with the players we have, or rather have not, been bringing in so far. 

our recruiting class ended up solidly in "ok" territory, but still closer to the bottom of the SEC than we are the top in this class. 

It's also been regularly noted that despite our OL and WR units underperforming and being positions of need, we didn't sign hardly anyone this recruiting cycle to help out at either position from HS, Juco, or the portal. 

Getting rid of troublemakers or people who don't fit the culture is fine, but it's not going to make us better if we don't bring in the right talent to replace them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Cole, we don't always agree, but I appreciate your take on things.   I phrased it as "key contributors this year."   Not, "folks who could have progressed and been key in the future."   Who else would you say were key contributors this year?   

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I believe there have been about 12 transfers out (who's counting).

I'm counting. The number is currently 20 and word is we haven't stopped the bleeding yet. To balance that, we've brought in five. No way to put any grade other than F on this lack of understanding/effort with regard to the transfer portal..

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

Almost always, like 99% of the time, it is a personal decision that each player makes for himself!!!!   Very rarely ever does a player think “Oh well, this ship is sinking so I better get off board”.   I think most of these were players that didn’t seem to be a good fit for what Harsin wants to do, either in general, or specific to their position.   A few of them felt like they could get more playing time at another school.   I am not aware of any of them being bad players or having a team affecting bad attitude or anything like that.   It’s just part of a culture change.  It happens.  It is magnified by the free transfer rules now.   So, I’m not bothered by these guys leaving.   I am a little bothered that we didn’t fill some necessary holes in the roster and build some young depth in needed areas with this HS class/transfer class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To answer the original question, it means we were losing anywhere from 4-6 games per year with those type of guys. We'll see in a couple of years how many we lose without them. Harsin is definitely going to have to do a better job of evaluation when replacing them. It will work itself out in the end. We knew it was bad, just not how bad.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Cole, we don't always agree, but I appreciate your take on things.   I phrased it as "key contributors this year."   Not, "folks who could have progressed and been key in the future."   Who else would you say were key contributors this year?   

Well your entire post is painting a picture and making a point. When it comes to the key contributor part you are making the points that they aren't that good. You pointed out the schools they went to as to say the good schools didn't want them (which is flawed but I didn't want it to seem like I'm trying to start a fight with you) and they didn't play so they aren't that important.

So what I don't agree with is Johnson and peges (sp?), and Willis. And that's just off the top of my head as I'm sure there are more I just don't have a list naming all the players. 

As far as the wr's, we didn't have a good passing game or an above average QB. They were limited as they didn't even have a good chance for deep balls so you're not going to get big plays. 

As far as Willis he was just playing behind some very good players but when you saw him he looked good and we are in need of linebackers.

And as far as peagues he literally was playing the position for the first time and he was still good enough to get on the field and get in rotation. What he offers athletically at D line.....there's no way in hell that's not a key or big loss. 

I don't think many think stuff out when we lose people. It's more than losing this guy doesn't hurt because he didn't play right now. 

Take for instance the Mississippi State game. I've seen people say losing truesdale and newqiek wasn't a big deal if we had them during that miss st game it's a world of difference just to have bodies for depth and guys get rest. We are going to be horribly thin at linebacker and wr.

Hell as far as Johnson it wouldn't matter if he only caught two balls he was one of like two guys who is a threat to take the top off a defense. That in itself can effect an ENTIRE defense and no stats recorded. Therefore effecting our entire offense because there's no threat

As far as the thug stuff wde or whoever should bring up an example or not say that. But I guess since Bo's gone it's back to business as usual can say whatever about players again

• Love 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

WardamneagleWDE, posted on 1/21 that Kobe was "a wannabe thug" and that was the cause for his dismissal.   I do not recall anyone correcting WDE.   I assume he spoke the truth.  Hence my term "Wanted to be a gangster."   In any event, I didn't mean for that to be the point of the post.   The point of the post is we have lots of folks leaving and since they are not being picked up by elite programs perhaps a good bit of it is house cleaning.    We also have elite talent that is choosing to stick with Auburn -- Tank, Pappoe, Wooden, Hall as well as potential elite talent sticking with Auburn Walker, Puckett, Pritchett, Riley, Simpson, King, Harris, Wright.   I'm not saying the sun is shining as we have a tornado warning in B'ham right now, but I'm saying tornados are not currently hitting every Alabama county as some on here seem to believe, 

Too much logic in this post!

• Like 1

Decreased competition is an underrated impact of a dwindling roster. Every great coach talks about the importance of players pushing other players to get better as they compete for snaps. A stocked roster breeds more competition than a depleted one. Harsin needs to be a great at getting incoming transfers to offset the losses. 

• Like 2

Even if you are an insider, unless someone is physically attempting to harm someone or something in that ilk, there's no value in describing a player that harshly IF you're attempting to hold such a status. Because your descriptives are going to be absolute for many people who view it (unfortunately)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Well your entire post is painting a picture and making a point. When it comes to the key contributor part you are making the points that they aren't that good. You pointed out the schools they went to as to say the good schools didn't want them (which is flawed but I didn't want it to seem like I'm trying to start a fight with you) and they didn't play so they aren't that important.

So what I don't agree with is Johnson and peges (sp?), and Willis. And that's just off the top of my head as I'm sure there are more I just don't have a list naming all the players. 

As far as the wr's, we didn't have a good passing game or an above average QB. They were limited as they didn't even have a good chance for deep balls so you're not going to get big plays. 

As far as Willis he was just playing behind some very good players but when you saw him he looked good and we are in need of linebackers.

And as far as peagues he literally was playing the position for the first time and he was still good enough to get on the field and get in rotation. What he offers athletically at D line.....there's no way in hell that's not a key or big loss. 

I don't think many think stuff out when we lose people. It's more than losing this guy doesn't hurt because he didn't play right now. 

Take for instance the Mississippi State game. I've seen people say losing truesdale and newqiek wasn't a big deal if we had them during that miss st game it's a world of difference just to have bodies for depth and guys get rest. We are going to be horribly thin at linebacker and wr.

Hell as far as Johnson it wouldn't matter if he only caught two balls he was one of like two guys who is a threat to take the top off a defense. That in itself can effect an ENTIRE defense and no stats recorded. Therefore effecting our entire offense because there's no threat

I don't disagree on Johnson.   Peques had 8 tackles.  Again, my post wasn't based on subjective potential but on actual performance.   Not sure 8 tackles qualifies as "key."   Willis -- Joko?   Has he left? With regard to J. Johnson, his ESPN 40 time is 4.5.  That is fast but it isn't take the top off fast.   I played center field at Auburn and I was fast at 4.49.  But I couldn't outrun Trey Gainous, Duke Donaldson or Bo.    4.5 isn't take the top off speed.   4.3 is.  

4 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I don't disagree on Johnson.   Peques had 8 tackles.  Again, my post wasn't based on subjective potential but on actual performance.   Not sure 8 tackles qualifies as "key."   Willis -- Joko?   Has he left? With regard to J. Johnson, his ESPN 40 time is 4.5.  That is fast but it isn't take the top off fast.   I played center field at Auburn and I was fast at 4.49.  But I couldn't outrun Trey Gainous, Duke Donaldson or Bo.    4.5 isn't take the top off speed.   4.3 is.  

We literally seen Johnson take the top off the defense multiple times. 4.5 is plenty enough speed to take the top off. Cooper Kupp did it all year in the NFL and he ran a 4.6

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

There is a lot wrong here IMHO

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Well I played corner and 4.5 is absolutely fast enough for that but that's nothing to even argue about as all you have to do is look at tape and who made the few deep catches we had?  I will also say you can't rely on ESPN to tell real times but once again coming out of high school running a 4.5 is fast I bet his time is even better now. But once again who were our primary deep threats? 

Also there's a bit more to speed and the ability to take a top off a defense than just a 40 time. 

I've already explained two different ways how a guy can be very important than just saying something like 8 tackles.....hell a starting d line guy will only have something like 26 tackles an entire season anyway but I'm not going to explain that again. 

I will just point out two examples that show how flawed that mindset is. You can look at basketball right now and how using that logic Kessler would have been viewed as no big deal leaving North Carolina. And here he is now, some people say he's the MVP of our team that's number 1 in the nation. If you want to keep it football you can look at guys like cam Newton, Malik Willis, and Joe burrow who all would've fell under he didn't have stats so he's not that important. 

Hell with peques good luck waiting around and finding a guy that can match him physically coming around the next 5 years. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Even if you are an insider, unless someone is physically attempting to harm someone or something in that ilk, there's no value in describing a player that harshly IF you're attempting to hold such a status. Because your descriptives are going to be absolute for many people who view it (unfortunately)

The whole black athlete thug stuff is so played out. If he pistol whipped somebody or robbed a store ok you got it but.....I wish the board would just pretend he was Bo and somebody said he's not good.....that sure triggered everybody to remind he's somebody's son with a mother and father.....stuff is wild

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm counting. The number is currently 20 and word is we haven't stopped the bleeding yet. To balance that, we've brought in five. No way to put any grade other than F on this lack of understanding/effort with regard to the transfer portal..

How many times over the years have you mentioned players that transfer from Auburn not being able to cut it and never perform after their transfer. Why so adamant that all of these transfers are now irreplaceable and so deeply concerning? Just trying to figure out what makes these players better than the others that have left previously that you routinely dismissed as not needed or won't be missed

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1