What do all the transfers really mean

LPTiger

Just now, bigbird said:

How many times over the years have you mentioned players that transfer from Auburn not being able to cut it and never perform after their transfer. Why so adamant that all of these transfers are now irreplaceable and so deeply concerning?

I'll NEVER forget his roc Thomas and Malik Willis ones. Move Willis to wr and said Thomas couldn't cut it and when it was brought up Thomas was on a NFL team he said Thomas owed auburn for that in the very next post 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'll NEVER forget his roc Thomas and Malik Willis ones. Move Willis to wr and said Thomas couldn't cut it and when it was brought up Thomas was on a NFL team he said Thomas owed auburn for that in the very next post 😂😂😂

Right?

Interesting pivot

• Like 2

Just now, bigbird said:

Right?

Interesting pivot

Cowart, ncm, Kyle Davis, the higher the rating the more it was pointed out transfers were to be expected. Also loved using bammer as the reference point. I remember vividly. It was before I stopped talking to him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I believe there have been about 12 transfers out (who's counting).   I think that all but one (Dreshun Miller) were recruited by Coach Malzhan's staff.    Georgia snatched up 1, but not THAT Georgia, no, the other one, Tech.  Florida stole another, not the Gainesville Florida mind you but the Orlando one.  Alabama also shared in the bounty, you guessed it -- the one in Mobile.  Purdue snagged a guy.   The Hoosiers also took 1.    UK grabbed 1.   In a 3 for 1 swap Oregon took 1.   USC, arguably a better name than Auburn, took 1 player.   But, this guy was trying to play edge at 214 pounds (he gained a total of 4 pounds in 2 years).   It looks like Ole miss will land 3.     What does this all mean?   We want to recruit like Bama and Georgia and we talk about how Gus' class' were always top 10, but here we have 11 of Gus's recruits that neither Bama or UGA or any other top tier SEC program wanted (we can debate OM being top tier based on this 1 year but we beat them).   We see players leaving and we work ourselves into a lather, but is anyone taking the time to consider where these guys are ending up?   Some of these teams are historically bad (Indiana, Ga. Tech and So. AL. combined to win 4 conference games last year -- total).  Putting aside where they landed, another fact is that only 2 of them, Bo and Kobe, were key contributors this past year.   Bo was Bo and Kobe wanted to be a gangster.   Granted the optics aren't great but there would be much greater cause for concern if these guys were key contributors and/or other significant staffs felt they were worthy of a scholarship like Gus did.          

Needs to go into the Optimism thread

What do all these transfers mean? It means that the only difference between this year's class of transfers and the previous decade of teams, is now there are no consequences to bailing. If anyone here thinks there wouldn't have been mass exoduses after 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 are deceiving themselves.

Players no longer need to "wait their turn", if they feel the least bit slighted. Some do, but many no longer fight harder but rather run to I'll perceived greener pastures.  Mental toughness and intestinal fortitude are good characteristics to have coursing through a program. Many of the transfers we've had this year, especially from the DL, IMO seemed to be missing them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I played corner and 4.5 is absolutely fast enough for that but that's nothing to even argue about as all you have to do is look at tape and who made the few deep catches we had?  I will also say you can't rely on ESPN to tell real times but once again coming out of high school running a 4.5 is fast I bet his time is even better now. But once again who were our primary deep threats? 

Also there's a bit more to speed and the ability to take a top off a defense than just a 40 time. 

I've already explained two different ways how a guy can be very important than just saying something like 8 tackles.....hell a starting d line guy will only have something like 26 tackles an entire season anyway but I'm not going to explain that again. 

I will just point out two examples that show how flawed that mindset is. You can look at basketball right now and how using that logic Kessler would have been viewed as no big deal leaving North Carolina. And here he is now, some people say he's the MVP of our team that's number 1 in the nation. If you want to keep it football you can look at guys like cam Newton, Malik Willis, and Joe burrow who all would've fell under he didn't have stats so he's not that important. 

Hell with peques good luck waiting around and finding a guy that can match him physically coming around the next 5 years. 

Look at who made the few deep catches we had?  The prettiest sister at DG is still not beautiful.

4.5 high school hand timed is more like 4.8 electronic.  When did you see someone take an awful angle on JJ?

Kess has an incredible coach.   For sure.   He should be a first rounder.  

Again, Peques may be a key contributor for Ole Miss in 2022, but he simply wasn't for AU in 2021.

2022 Auburn Football Roster Tracker

I thought this interesting as to where we are.  It was last updated Jan 28.

7 safeties.  They are now a larger group than our TE's.  

Some of those to be converted to LB or something?2022 Auburn Football Roster Tracker - College and Magnolia.webloc

(Help! Tried to make this a link, not a download.)

Edited by AUGoo
dsok

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The whole black athlete thug stuff is so played out. If he pistol whipped somebody or robbed a store ok you got it but.....I wish the board would just pretend he was Bo and somebody said he's not good.....that sure triggered everybody to remind he's somebody's son with a mother and father.....stuff is wild

Unfortunately, that’s true.   A lot of fans think of these kids like they are fictional characters for their entertainment or something.   We all need to take a deep breath and think about it before we post something on a public forum that is negative or even slanderous about a college kid just playing ball.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Our recruiting class ended up solidly in "ok" territory, but still closer to the bottom of the SEC than we are the top in this class. 

How is being near the bottom of the SEC OK?

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Look at who made the few deep catches we had?  The prettiest sister at DG is still not beautiful.

4.5 high school hand timed is more like 4.8 electronic.  When did you see someone take an awful angle on JJ?

Again, Peques may be a key contributor for Ole Miss in 2022, but he simply wasn't for AU in 2021.

I'm the one that told you that you can't trust ESPN putting a time up. You can just look and see that he's fast and he's regarded as our deep threat on the team. I literally don't know why that's being argued. As far as your awful angle comment I don't understand what that have to do with anything. You can take a bad angle against a slow or fast guy. Guys don't make you take bad angles you just need good ones to be a productive defensive player. 

You moving the goal post then as far as the contribution thing.  If you're simply saying guys may be good in the future but you're not looking at that you just want to point out they didn't contribute this year then this entire thread doesn't make sense because you're not talking about the future.

But we both know the point you were wanting to make is the guys we lost it's not like they are super stars. 

But here's something you can't argue, one of the guys we lost was McClain right? He's gone and not coming back. So losing one of our talented linebackers that could play next year is a big loss whether they produced this year or not as McClain didn't put up numbers before he started either and when he finally did he was a big deal.

No matter how we want to try to talk around it, just because a guy didn't play the previous year doesn't mean he's not important to the team for the coming up year. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Yeah, dude's slow af 🙄

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No matter how we want to try to talk around it, just because a guy didn't play the previous year doesn't mean he's not important to the team for the coming up year. 

Good point.

Something with regards to the DL transfer is the scheme change. A 3-4 DL's skill set and attributes are quite different than those of a 4-3 DL.  Transitioning schemes always takes a few classes to make it work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good point.

Something with regards to the DL transfer is the scheme change. A 3-4 DL's skill set and attributes are quite different than those of a 4-3 DL.  Transitioning schemes always takes a few classes to make it work.

What do think the chance are harsin get “a few classes”?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Good point.

Absolutely. I brought that up and somebody mentioned that it's probably still will be 3-4. This is why I upped losing Willis hurts and pegues as well as his physical skill set was PERFECT absolutely PERFECT for a 3-4. Like he potentially could be like Chris Jones for the Chiefs

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely. I brought that up and somebody mentioned that it's probably still will be 3-4. This is why I upped losing Willis hurts and pegues as well as his physical skill set was PERFECT absolutely PERFECT for a 3-4. Like he potentially could be like Chris Jones for the Chiefs

In actuality, Pegues is the only one that I felt was going to be a net loss. Maybe Height.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm the one that told you that you can't trust ESPN putting a time up. You can just look and see that he's fast and he's regarded as our deep threat on the team. I literally don't know why that's being argued. As far as your awful angle comment I don't understand what that have to do with anything. You can take a bad angle against a slow or fast guy. Guys don't make you take bad angles you just need good ones to be a productive defensive player. 

You moving the goal post then as far as the contribution thing.  If you're simply saying guys may be good in the future but you're not looking at that you just want to point out they didn't contribute this year then this entire thread doesn't make sense because you're not talking about the future.

But we both know the point you were wanting to make is the guys we lost it's not like they are super stars. 

But here's something you can't argue, one of the guys we lost was McClain right? He's gone and not coming back. So losing one of our talented linebackers that could play next year is a big loss whether they produced this year or not as McClain didn't put up numbers before he started either and when he finally did he was a big deal.

Cole, this "Deep threat" had 274 yards receiving on a team that had bad receivers.  Is he fast?   Sure.   Is he game changing fast -- not even close.

I argued they were not key contributors this year.   You said you disagreed that 2 were key contributors this year.   Who are you talking about?

McClain went to the NFL, right?   Apples and oranges.   Come on.  

Just now, bigbird said:

In actuality, Pegues is the only one that I felt was going to be a net loss. Maybe Height.

Agree on Height Bird, but he needed to gain weight.   Hard to be an edge at 215.   After 2 years he still had not gained any bulk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

50/50

I see what you did there 😉

I was under the impression that harsin was known to be 1) a good talent evaluator and maybe more importantly 2) a good player developer. Something Auburn has had since Tubberville was HC.

I like harsin to have enough time to figure out if either of those are true. I realize I’m probably in the extreme minority at this point. It just seems bit crazy to be talking about firing now.

• Like 3

Bird is correct in other years if we had unrestricted transfer we might have seen similar numbers but we will never know for sure.  I agree with Cole about saying a player is a wanna be gangster or thug it seems like it is always used about Black players but I will go further we should not disparage any player in a personal manner.                    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Cole, this "Deep threat" had 274 yards receiving on a team that had bad receivers.  Is he fast?   Sure.   Is he game changing fast -- not even close.

I argued they were not key contributors this year.   You said you disagreed that 2 were key contributors this year.   Who are you talking about?

McClain went to the NFL, right?   Apples and oranges.   Come on.  

Ok you just don't get it. I can't explain it any more simple than I have. You completely missed the McClain point. 

Also my very first post I explained it was deeper than saying oh look at the stats because it's so simple to see that was next. So you don't have to keep asking or saying that because I already explained it. 

Also like I said if you are literally just saying key contributors this year and what you are saying has nothing to do with speaking to the future then literally what's the point of the entire thread. But also like I said we both know you were trying to say because they didn't contribute major stats this year their loss isn't important for the coming up season. But as you can see that logic is completely flawed

6 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Agree on Height Bird, but he needed to gain weight.   Hard to be an edge at 215.   After 2 years he still had not gained any bulk.

How can you agree with height but not pegues and Johnson?

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok you just don't get it. I can't explain it any more simple than I have. You completely missed the McClain point. 

Also my very first post I explained it was deeper than saying oh look at the stats because it's so simple to see that was next. So you don't have to keep asking or saying that because I already explained it. 

Also like I said if you are literally just saying key contributors this year and what you are saying has nothing to do with speaking to the future then literally what's the point of the entire thread. But also like I said we both know you were trying to say because they didn't contribute major stats this year their loss isn't important for the coming up season. But as you can see that logic is completely flawed

Bye.