What do all the transfers really mean

LPTiger

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

So he's on vacation while the house is on fire?

I mean...it all seem to exploded late last night or early this morning because everything seemed at least OK until this morning. I know it was an interesting wake up call for me. I woke up to texts from family in Vegas and Colorado asking WTH is going on in Auburn and if we're going to fire him in a couple days. I was like what are you talking about? Now we have coaches, players and family members going back and forth on Twitter and IG today. 

13 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Cole, this "Deep threat" had 274 yards receiving on a team that had bad receivers.  Is he fast?   Sure.   Is he game changing fast -- not even close.

I argued they were not key contributors this year.   You said you disagreed that 2 were key contributors this year.   Who are you talking about?

McClain went to the NFL, right?   Apples and oranges.   Come on.  

Everything must be taken into context. JJohnson had some lingering injuries so did not initially get a lot of PT but at end of season we started to see what he was capable of.  You can't just look at production in one year to extrapolate what production will be next year. Towards end of season he was a key contributor. While I am not in total panic mode over talent we have left because we still have some really talented players. I am not happy with us at WR unless at least one new WR steps up, I am worried about LB aw we lost two studs even though we have good backups and players coming in. I am a little worried about DB as we lost our lockdown CB to NFL and I am always worried about O-Line. QB Is wait and see for me. We are good at RB and TE and I think we are good at D-Line. I think D will be good I have no idea about O.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

"The same guys who didn't want to hire [Harsin] now want to fire him," a source told ESPN.

I don't doubt they're going through that contract and rallying the troops to see if they can get him out with all of the rumors. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't doubt they're going through that contract and rallying the troops to see if they can get him out with all of the rumors. 

I believe this is all in the middle. I do not believe he had any misappropriate action with that lady. I do think he was probably an ass hole and needs to adapt to some of his players. You can't have that approach with everyone. I also think there is a faction that has been problematic since the beginning and has made it hard for him since the start. I can't speak to all the other stuff but there is some short comings in terms for CBH, but not enough to warrant a firing squad of his character IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I mean...it all seem to exploded late last night or early this morning because everything seemed at least OK until this morning. I know it was an interesting wake up call for me. I woke up to texts from family in Vegas and Colorado asking WTH is going on in Auburn and if we're going to fire him in a couple days. I was like what are you talking about? Now we have coaches, players and family members going back and forth on Twitter and IG today. 

I understand but our having critical coaching vacancies as Spring practice fast approaches didn't just happen last night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Please explain

Auburn is a family, not a nation (like many other schools claim). Tried to post Wooten's tweet about players crying about how they were treated.

utk_e-YP_x96.jpg

We didn’t need a best friend we needed a coach … that’s what we had

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I believe this is all in the middle. I do not believe he had any misappropriate action with that lady. I do think he was probably an ass hole and needs to adapt to some of his players. You can't have that approach with everyone. I also think there is a faction that has been problematic since the beginning and has made it hard for him since the start. I can't speak to all the other stuff but there is some short comings in terms for CBH, but not enough to warrant a firing squad of his character IMO.

I agree 100% with you. Unless it's proven otherwise. I do think he's going to have to "bend" a little until he gets things fully going and winning consistently. I know that may come off to some as players being "soft" or "spoiled" but i think a majority of coaches have to do that with certain players. The same way he puckered up to Tank to convenience him to stay, he's going to have to do that with a few guys; especially if it's players that can change the program for the better and help recruiting. 

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Auburn is a family, not a nation (like many other schools claim). Tried to post Wooten's tweet about players crying about how they were treated.

Well one of this board's predecessors was War Eagle NATION (WEN)😀

Edited by Proud Tiger

We need to get to the bottom of these rumors. This is terrible and, if it is a character assassination, root out the trash that is behind it. The AU Leadership needs to own this situation and take control of it. This must stop or we will forever keep reliving it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Didn’t know where to put this but Pegues explains his reasoning for transferring.  I really hate we lost him.  

“I know once the season was over with at Auburn, I just had second thoughts about the place there,” Pegues said, per the Clarion-Ledger. “I always wanted to come back (to Oxford) but I just never knew when. Once (former Auburn coach Gus) Malzahn left, I tried out the other staff. I really just didn’t like the environment and some of the coaches there. So I decided once I hit the transfer portal, I could come back. Ever since then, it’s been great. The community has been on my side. You get home-cooked meals from your grandma, it’s great.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Didn’t know where to put this but Pegues explains his reasoning for transferring.  I really hate we lost him.  

“I know once the season was over with at Auburn, I just had second thoughts about the place there,” Pegues said, per the Clarion-Ledger. “I always wanted to come back (to Oxford) but I just never knew when. Once (former Auburn coach Gus) Malzahn left, I tried out the other staff. I really just didn’t like the environment and some of the coaches there. So I decided once I hit the transfer portal, I could come back. Ever since then, it’s been great. The community has been on my side. You get home-cooked meals from your grandma, it’s great.”

I think that's what the transfer portal is for. If a player doesn't like his coaches/school, he can leave. Not sure I like the results, but it's to the player's benefit. It appears to me that what a coaching staff has to do in the portal is balance out the losses with acquisitions. Some have proved very adept at this, others not so much. For example, Ol' Miss is ranked #1 on 247's list of transfer acquisitions. Kiffin is among the adept.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Seems like a good guy who just didn't mesh well with the new staff's coaching methods. Plus I'm sure Gus letting him play TE was a big part of why he came here in the first place. One of only a handful that left that I wish we could've kept in the fold. He'll do well at OM

• Like 3