Harsin Drama Megathread

TitanTiger

13 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

I put a lot more stake in comments from guys like hall and wooten compared to former players that transferred out. You cant build football teams around guys that do not want to be coached. We live in a soft generation. Harsin has a lot to prove in terms of offensive line play, but I want a tough smashmouth football team.  I want tough players, not cry babies that run to twitter when a coach chews them out and holds them accountable. 

That’s a helluva of an assumption. We don’t know what type of player Hunter is. Just because he left doesn’t mean he is soft. His story is just beginning and we will find out what type of player he is. It’s seems there are two sides to this issue and hard to gauge who is right and who is wrong. Respectfully 

2 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Jay Gogue is probably having one hell of a final day on the job.

I think he’s doing the right thing handling this on the way out. He knows front to back the guy’s time here and stuck his neck out for the coach to be here (indirectly at least). A new president probably reads the room and errs on just cleaning his hands of the problem

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Like clockwork, Auburn has something great happening (basketball) and the media runs with the most negative stories they can get their hands on. Not one single substantive piece of anything has come out and been discussed. This thread is just people discussing rumors of rumors propagating something that is likely not even real. 

If Harsin gets let go without cause, does anyone actually think AU will be able to pull in an upgrade? Would be home-run hires have already turned AU down because of this type of stuff that is constantly happening. 

Dude, whatever happens with this, it's not the media's fault.  They didn't create this shitstorm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Boy howdy..Not a good vibe there.

I don't really put a lot of credence in the statements of someone that ran to Daddy Gus.  This gets a big discount factor for me.

I'm still not sure I understand Cole's "A-A culture" references.  I'd like to hear more on that.  Is his treatment of A-A players different than white players?  If so, big red flag and an issue that needs to be dealt with.  If it's just based on comments about being "tough", then I don't get the characterization.  I am genuinely interested if there is evidence (strong or weak) of him treating his A-A players differently or what Cole was getting at regarding not understand the culture.

If it comes down to just showing players you care; how a coach in the middle of a turnaround does that is open to a lot of debate.  When a team and a culture is "broken", you don't worry about being everyone's buddy.  You worry about ensuring everyone understands what is expected and getting to the bottom of who's a keeper, who's not and go about the business of dealing with it..  You fix the things that need to be fixed, you establish an attitude of zero defects allowed and you don't tolerate dissent and whining about how tough things are.  Things are tough because you're not living up to the basic standard and we are not meeting expectations.  Meet the standard and things get a lot easier...and you get to be a part of instilling the standard and the right expectations.  Those doing the right things are praised as exhibiting the proper Team behavior; and those not are dealt with.  Saban was viewed as an a**hole and the devil for several years.  There was none of the smiling Nick Saban in the media...he didn't do it.  His recent image as this kindly-grizzled-fatherly figure is a phenomena of a relatively short time period.  His hard-ass-only period ran for years.  He was known to cut folks off scholarship at the drop of a hat.  There was no "caring Nick Saban".  

Harsin could be a complete A-hole all the time to everyone...doesn't seem like it from all the various comments...but it could be possible.  Or he could just be trying to instill a culture into a place where too many are still resisting the change.  He hasn't had a ton of time to turn everything around.  Again, this could take a long time before he shows a softer side.  

He could be having an affair with a subordinate (in which case he should go).  Not for the affair, but for abusing his position, using Gov't/School money to hire a mistress, etc...pretty basic conduct violations.  His Family should really be more mature and ignore this...easy to say I guess...but come on folks...if it ain't true then just be secure in the knowledge that it isn't true.  Be an adult and stay out of the cesspool.  

I again give Auburn Marketing and Comm's an F- this morning.  Harsin is making comments on ESPN; no statement from the school...bush-league.  I hope everything he said is true.  I would like to see the university Comm's folks earn their pay.  

My feelings haven't changed...I don't see this ending well.  Just hope we get past this latest "reality s*** show" soonest.  

Edited by TitanTiger
too specific on some stuff

Just now, e808 said:

That’s a helluva of an assumption. We don’t know what type of player Hunter is. Just because he left doesn’t mean he is soft. His story is just beginning and we will find out what type of player he is. It’s seems there are two sides to this issue and hard to gauge who is right and who is wrong. Respectfully 

In fact the way he went and directlycame to hall would suggest he's not lying or is he soft. It would suggest he's more of an alpha type

• Love 1

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Dude, whatever happens with this, it's not the media's fault.  They didn't create this shitstorm.

Can we pin this? 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Lol. Right. Jabari will still be a 6'10" skilled forward that can shoot over everybody. We're good there 😂

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

Its not an assumption. He posted on twitter about a team that he no longer plays for. He needs to worry about UCF.

Seriously where is the evidence? Being a d*** and not connecting well with players does not seem to be enough to be fired for cause. Not even close.

• Like 2

Just now, AUgrad2013 said:

Its not an assumption. He posted on twitter about a team that he no longer plays for. He needs to worry about UCF.

You don’t play for the team at all, why are you worried about it?

8 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Jay Gogue is probably having one hell of a final day on the job.

I don’t think this is his final. 

im going to assume when Robert’s is announced his start date will be in the next few months. Gogue wanted someone in Place by May I think. 

so Gogue is handling this probably w Burgess, council and some of the Board. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, au302 said:

Seriously where is the evidence? Being a d*** and not connecting well with players does not seem to be enough to be fired for cause. Not even close.

I guess they might want to review it internally before they tell you about it. 

Jay Gouge just said they are in the process of separating fact from fiction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Actually you're a great person to have this discussion with. I'm sure you know if there's a white guy that embraces our culture just a little he's usually welcomed with open arms. Say the white guy that has a nice handle, or the white guy who joins the black frat. 

It's sort of like that. Everybody can know you're a little foreign but just show you're down and you are interested and open. If you do that it wouldn't even matter.

People love to use the Saban yells but he's successful. They forget the part where saban is at the house doing the Cupid shuffle or when he's walking arm and arm saying he cares.....meanwhile our coach wore the football matters shirt and wants to be a drill sergeant but not be concerned about anything else.....that matters

And I just want to say first and foremost, just because you’re saying white doesn’t mean you’re saying it to “race bait”. It’s just an important distinction to make with this…

Because I have had some older SEC fans I know ask why’d we hire this guy, based on him not having any noticeable jobs, him not being from here, and him having a very cold demeanor. And these presumptions + disadvantages work against him in just about every house hold he’s going to recruit in right now. He’s gotta work extra hard. I also wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how it’s gone in the locker room since December 2020. 
This could (and I’m just spitballing) be a situation where a guy hasn’t been willing to change his presentation to meet these dudes more than halfway. And some players are going to be okay with that, as we’ve seen. But being rigid and strict to “this is how my message worked (x amount of places)”, that’s gonna get you caught up in a way different environment 

• Like 1

Just now, wcware said:

I guess Chandler Wooten, team captain is scared to tell the truth? A husband and a father?

As opposed to 20 other guys are lying?

• Like 1

and it doesn't mean you aren't going to set the culture you want with the players you want when you get them in there. patience would have been valuable in all this. 

57 minutes ago, rockfordpi said:

Above is a very spot on post.

Hypothetically, it goes like this, fans are unhappy with coach, beg (figuratively if not literally) boosters to help buy him out. Boosters provide resources to do same. Search for new coach begins, the press and the fans tell the boosters to sit down and shut up, you shouldn't be meddling in the hiring process. AD makes a terrible hire with no input from boosters. Program goes to Hell, then again fans and admin are going back to boosters for more $ to buyout the coach.

I have to wonder how many fanatics would, if they were multi-millionaires, invest in a system like above. We want your money, not your input, but when it all fails, we want your money again to fix the problem?

The Boosters wanted Kevin Steele. The fanatics didn't because they just knew we were gonna get Bill Belichick, Urban Meyer (or someone off UT's historical dream list).

That said, I am 100% opposed to boosters interfering in the day to day operations, but realistically, they are not going to continue to shell out $$$$ without some input to the overall direction of the program.

Disclaimer. I was opposed to firing CGM and I was Opposed to hiring CBH. However, CBH is OUR COACH and I will support him until there is some good reason (other than rumor or innuendo). I hope the AU family will do same, though I am convinced that a loud faction of our fanbase will never be satisfied and continue to push us toward the UT model of a new coach every 2-3 years.

You didn't ask me specifically but I will respond. My thoughts are that the boosters need to give everything they can to the President to make sure they can prosper. The President needs to pick an AD that they can trust and give them everything they need to prosper. The AD needs to pick a head coach that they can trust and give them everything they need to prosper. The head coach needs to pick assistants they can trust and give them everything they need to prosper. If at any point the step above doesn't do this, they are in fact the problem. If any step has been provided for and still fails, then they are the problem. 

I have said that I wished I had the money to give Auburn so that the current PTB would leave. I wouldn't meddle because that is how I feel it SHOULD be done. Absolutely spend more money on facilities than coaches. That is investing in yourself instead of others but you must invest in others almost to the same degree. Write the checks, sit in the suites, and feed your face while your ass is kissed by others. Then leave the decisions to others. That way you aren't wasting your money on firing bad coaching hires. Your investing in the University you care for. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx

Just now, cole256 said:

20? Who are the 20? The transfers. I bet all 20 have different reasons for leaving not 1 like your assuming. 

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yep. Auburn is handing the media matches and dry kindling. Can't get mad that they are then starting a fire with it. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Honestly their opinion doesn’t hold the same weight with me as guys who are here. I could be wrong but that’s how I feel

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Didn’t Wooten sit out last year. A very interesting take would be the point of view from Zakoby. This almost seems like a shot at Twill or Steele because Gus didn’t really bother the defensive of the ball