2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Dunndone414

Tigers have offered Isaiah Coleman, a 6'4"-6'5" SG out of National Christian Academy in the Washington, DC area, #41 in ESPN's most recent rankings of the 2023 class. Check out this thorough breakdown of his game from back in April: Player Evaluation.

Looks like a very solid player only thing I didn't like was turnovers.

• Like 1

It seems like Diop and Butler are backup plans to Baye Fall and maybe others. Fwiw I’ve heard Butler would commit if we gave him the green light. (What a position to be in, these guys are all top 100.)   Arkansas seems to be the favorite for Fall but info is limited.

Some Auburn accounts have routinely suggested we are the favorite for Wesley Yates but I haven’t seen anything to indicate that. The fact that he’s adding fall visits to a new slate of top programs doesn’t suggest to me he will be committing to Auburn anytime soon. My gut tells me we will end up second to someone here, but we are as in it as anyone at this point. Yates is an electric scorer - the kind of recruit I thought we’d routinely land (but haven’t) after Bryce Brown showed what a scoring guard could do in Bruce’s system.

I heard that Yates and Holloway are close and would like to play together, so perhaps that gives us a boost. But Yates also has family at UW and tons of high end suitors, so we'll see what happens. 

• Like 1

I heard that Yates and Holloway are close and would like to play together, so perhaps that gives us a boost. But Yates also has family at UW and tons of high end suitors, so we'll see what happens. 

Holloway has been recruiting for us since before he committed - and not just with Yates.  Love him already. 

• Like 3

Auburn has made the final list of schools contending for highly coveted F Amani Hansberry out of Mount St. Joseph HS in Baltimore, whose final 5 consists of: Auburn, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Penn St. Hansberry had a monster Peach Jam with Team Durant. Here's a full breakdown of Hansberry's game, published earlier this summer: Player Evaluation.

• Like 3

So. Does our bball program have a good long-term future outlook? If we really are that poor?

(This is slightly a rhetorical question, mainly if the answer to the first part of the question is "yes"--in which case I feel more optimistic about our ability to get it together in football too. Now hopefully if bball starts to tank because of NIL, that'll make us get our damn act together.)

Edited by AUwent

So. Does our bball program have a good long-term future outlook? If we really are that poor?

(This is slightly a rhetorical question, mainly if the answer to the first part of the question is "yes"--in which case I feel more optimistic about our ability to get it together in football too. Now hopefully if bball starts to tank because of NIL, that'll make us get our damn act together.)

I don’t think having a good NIL set up would make our football program good 

True, but the lack of a competitive NIL will make you bad. At this point it is a base level expectation for good programs.

• Like 1

Many of our fans would rather cling to "tradition" (DSOR) than be a good program. So you have a point.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

I have confidence that Bruce Pearl will continue to keep our bball program a top 20 program regardless of NIL amounts.

think there’ll be enough money together to get some top pieces and cbp has a knack for getting top 150 recruits and creating a winning team.

I think that’s one of the reasons he likes the non-prototype PG’s (and others).  He can get good talent that’ll stick around a couple years creating a cohesive team.  Then coach them hard, rebounding and defense first.  Play a deep bench which is good for legs, scheme and morale.

• Like 2

True, but the lack of a competitive NIL will make you bad. At this point it is a base level expectation for good programs.

Eh, I think if you were already a good program and could make up for not having as much money with having other things to offer (NFL success, on field success, just success), you’d be fine. I won’t go much further as this isn’t that section and I don’t want to derail, but Auburn football has had far bigger problems the last 24 months than NIL money  

I have confidence that Bruce Pearl will continue to keep our bball program a top 20 program regardless of NIL amounts.

think there’ll be enough money together to get some top pieces and cbp has a knack for getting top 150 recruits and creating a winning team.

I think that’s one of the reasons he likes the non-prototype PG’s (and others).  He can get good talent that’ll stick around a couple years creating a cohesive team.  Then coach them hard, rebounding and defense first.  Play a deep bench which is good for legs, scheme and morale.

I think Auburn is closer to tier 1 in terms of giving competitive offers than tier 2, but we’ll never have to rely on money as the primary motivator for MOST (not all) recruits, bc we have literally everything a recruit could want in terms of accolades and success as a realistic possibility. And this is still in spite of being an Under Armour school!!!

• Like 2

I think Auburn is closer to tier 1 in terms of giving competitive offers than tier 2, but we’ll never have to rely on money as the primary motivator for MOST (not all) recruits, bc we have literally everything a recruit could want in terms of accolades and success as a realistic possibility. And this is still in spite of being an Under Armour school!!!

How long is the UA contract again?

I have to think if we go elsewhere, it's a strong indicator of how much pull Pearl/the basketball program has. Generally speaking, the football fanbase is satisfied with UA and anecdotally speaking, the football players don't seem to view UA as a deal breaker (I would think a good chunk of them even enjoy wearing the stuff, based on how often I would see them rock the gear vs when I would encounter a basketball player - different circumstance usually). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to think if we go elsewhere, it's a strong indicator of how much pull Pearl/the basketball program has. Generally speaking, the football fanbase is satisfied with UA and anecdotally speaking, the football players don't seem to view UA as a deal breaker (I would think a good chunk of them even enjoy wearing the stuff, based on how often I would see them rock the gear vs when I would encounter a basketball player - different circumstance usually). 

I'm not sure about the apparel deal. I would rather be with Nike/Jordan or Adidas purely because the material the soles of the shoes is made with is more comfortable for the players, but other than that I really like UA, personally. The only reason I can see that we might continue with UA is if they still offer the most lucrative bid, but I'm not sure the company will be in a position to make such a bid come renewal time.

• Like 1

Top-30 guard Wesley Yates announces top schools

Joe Tipton•44 minutes

Wesley Yates / Courtesy of Dan Fritz

Beaumont (Texas) United four-star shooting guard Wesley Yates is one of the most sought-after recruits in the class of 2023. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Yates tells On3 he has trimmed his nearly 25 scholarships down to nine: Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Gonzaga, Houston, LSU, Stanford, Texas, and Washington. 

Yates has officially visited Auburn, Stanford, and Washington. Unofficially, he’s been to LSU, Baylor, Houston, and most recently Texas. 

The Texas native has also scheduled two more official visits: LSU on September 10th and Texas on September 3rd. He also plans to officially visit Arkansas, Gonzaga, and maybe one more program.

Yates is the No. 28 overall prospect in the 2023 class, according to the On3 Consensus, the average ranking from all four major recruiting media companies. He’s also the No. 4 shooting guard and the No. 2 player in the state of Texas.

Wesley Yates discusses the in-state programs

In a previous interview with On3, Yates discussed the in-state programs involved in his recruitment.

Baylor: “They are close to home, and I have a great relationship with Coach (Scott) Drew and Coach (Alvin) Brooks. They hit me up a lot, and I talk with them a lot. I talk with their players too, Keyonte George and Langston Love. I grew up playing against them and with them, talking to them; they just tell me the truth about every situation. Coach Drew keeps it real with me; it’s like a family atmosphere there. When I went for my two unofficials, I enjoyed myself.”

Houston: “I like their playstyle. Coach (Kelvin) Sampson really lets them play. They’re moving to a new conference…the Big 12… I believe they’re going to run small, kind of like small ball, and get out a run a lot and that will fit my playstyle well. That’s what the teams I play for do. That’s what I like to do, get out and run and make plays for myself and others. UofH’s coaching staff is good too. They’re really good people. Like Coach Sampson, the first time I met him, it was like I’d known him for so long.”

Texas: “It was my first time (at Texas on a recruit visit). I liked it. It was good. I liked everything I saw. The energy around the players and program. (Chris Beard) just keeping it real with me. Told me he would have my back, and the opportunity to play early if I came there. He wants me to develop as a player, and be part of a great culture.”

Yates discusses the SEC program on his list

Arkansas: “They still hit me up a lot. Like the whole coaching staff, even the head coach, Coach Muss. Obviously, I know Anthony Black, Jordan Walsh, and Nick Smith. So I can ask those guys anything, and they’ll tell me straight up. Just the atmosphere is crazy; watching them play against Auburn when Arkansas was at home was crazy. Just the crowd and just everything about them. They get people in the league, develop them, develop them the right way. And their players get in the league and do what they need to do.”

Auburn: “That’s a school I’ve built a great relationship with BP (Bruce Pearl). It was like a family atmosphere there when I took my official visit. They told me what it was going to be like. It really felt like home, just how all the players kept it real with me and told me what it was. I talked to a couple of the player’s parents, and they said everything was true, everything they do. I just liked the atmosphere. It was crazy out there too. BP lets his players play. I feel like he would let me rock out if I went there.”

LSU: “It’s close to home, and I got a real good relationship with the coaches. Coach (Casey) Long is my guy, and you got Coach (Matt) McMahon, the head coach, who developed Ja Morant. It’s just crazy to know he did that at Murray State, and he still talks to Ja today. They have shown me how I can develop my game and how they can develop me into a pro. They play in the SEC, which is a big stage. I got a visit set with them on September 10; it’s the week LSU plays Southern in football, so it’ll be fun.”

Programs out west

Gonzaga: “Gonzaga is always winning. They win a lot. That’s what I like; I like to win. There’s not really much to do out there. That’s what I like about it. Pretty calm, cool, and just basketball. I feel like they develop pros, and all their pros have been staying in the league for a long time. So obviously, they’re doing something right. So just the way they develop their guards, let them play, shoot. They can come down and pull transition threes; they do all that.”

Stanford: “They hit me up a lot. I’ll be on FaceTime with Coach (Rob) Ehsan a lot, man, it’s crazy. It is calm out there. The weather is great, the education is great, and the 40-year plan. Everybody is well-spoken, and there is a lot of positive energy. If you go to Stanford, you’ll love it because it’s really positive out there.”

Washington: “Quincy Pondexter is my cousin, so they offered me on the spot. Knowing that he’s family, he’s been in the league; he won’t let me fail. He played against some of the greats and was in the league for a long time; he’d show me the ropes. They let their guards play and get up a lot of shots.”

Yates has developed the best relationship with…who?

In a previous interview with On3’s Jamie, Wesley Yates said he’s developed a few relationships with coaches that are stronger than others.

“I feel like I developed the best relationship with Baylor and Houston because they’re so close to me,” Wesley Yates said. “Every time I get around them, it just basically elevates me. I feel like a better person, and they’re always positive. Coach (Scott) Drew, Coach (Kelvin) Sampson, Coach (Alvin) Brooks, all of them, man, like the energy around them is just crazy. I would say Auburn too, and BP (Bruce Pearl).“

Scouting Summary

Wesley Yates is a strong framed guard who plays with a lot of confidence. He is efficient on the ball, taking care of possessions. Yates has deep range on his jump shot and is comfortable off the bounce or the catch. His release point is a little low, but the release is clean and repeatable. Yates has a strong handle, his understanding of change of paces gets him to his spots in the half-court. He is an average athlete, vertically and horizontally, but he competes and has toughness. Yates is a noted gamer and wants the ball in his hands.

Top-30 guard Wesley Yates announces top schools

Joe Tipton•44 minutes

Wesley Yates / Courtesy of Dan Fritz

Beaumont (Texas) United four-star shooting guard Wesley Yates is one of the most sought-after recruits in the class of 2023. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Yates tells On3 he has trimmed his nearly 25 scholarships down to nine: Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Gonzaga, Houston, LSU, Stanford, Texas, and Washington. 

Yates has officially visited Auburn, Stanford, and Washington. Unofficially, he’s been to LSU, Baylor, Houston, and most recently Texas. 

The Texas native has also scheduled two more official visits: LSU on September 10th and Texas on September 3rd. He also plans to officially visit Arkansas, Gonzaga, and maybe one more program.

Yates is the No. 28 overall prospect in the 2023 class, according to the On3 Consensus, the average ranking from all four major recruiting media companies. He’s also the No. 4 shooting guard and the No. 2 player in the state of Texas.

Wesley Yates discusses the in-state programs

In a previous interview with On3, Yates discussed the in-state programs involved in his recruitment.

Baylor: “They are close to home, and I have a great relationship with Coach (Scott) Drew and Coach (Alvin) Brooks. They hit me up a lot, and I talk with them a lot. I talk with their players too, Keyonte George and Langston Love. I grew up playing against them and with them, talking to them; they just tell me the truth about every situation. Coach Drew keeps it real with me; it’s like a family atmosphere there. When I went for my two unofficials, I enjoyed myself.”

Houston: “I like their playstyle. Coach (Kelvin) Sampson really lets them play. They’re moving to a new conference…the Big 12… I believe they’re going to run small, kind of like small ball, and get out a run a lot and that will fit my playstyle well. That’s what the teams I play for do. That’s what I like to do, get out and run and make plays for myself and others. UofH’s coaching staff is good too. They’re really good people. Like Coach Sampson, the first time I met him, it was like I’d known him for so long.”

Texas: “It was my first time (at Texas on a recruit visit). I liked it. It was good. I liked everything I saw. The energy around the players and program. (Chris Beard) just keeping it real with me. Told me he would have my back, and the opportunity to play early if I came there. He wants me to develop as a player, and be part of a great culture.”

Yates discusses the SEC program on his list

Arkansas: “They still hit me up a lot. Like the whole coaching staff, even the head coach, Coach Muss. Obviously, I know Anthony Black, Jordan Walsh, and Nick Smith. So I can ask those guys anything, and they’ll tell me straight up. Just the atmosphere is crazy; watching them play against Auburn when Arkansas was at home was crazy. Just the crowd and just everything about them. They get people in the league, develop them, develop them the right way. And their players get in the league and do what they need to do.”

Auburn: “That’s a school I’ve built a great relationship with BP (Bruce Pearl). It was like a family atmosphere there when I took my official visit. They told me what it was going to be like. It really felt like home, just how all the players kept it real with me and told me what it was. I talked to a couple of the player’s parents, and they said everything was true, everything they do. I just liked the atmosphere. It was crazy out there too. BP lets his players play. I feel like he would let me rock out if I went there.”

LSU: “It’s close to home, and I got a real good relationship with the coaches. Coach (Casey) Long is my guy, and you got Coach (Matt) McMahon, the head coach, who developed Ja Morant. It’s just crazy to know he did that at Murray State, and he still talks to Ja today. They have shown me how I can develop my game and how they can develop me into a pro. They play in the SEC, which is a big stage. I got a visit set with them on September 10; it’s the week LSU plays Southern in football, so it’ll be fun.”

Programs out west

Gonzaga: “Gonzaga is always winning. They win a lot. That’s what I like; I like to win. There’s not really much to do out there. That’s what I like about it. Pretty calm, cool, and just basketball. I feel like they develop pros, and all their pros have been staying in the league for a long time. So obviously, they’re doing something right. So just the way they develop their guards, let them play, shoot. They can come down and pull transition threes; they do all that.”

Stanford: “They hit me up a lot. I’ll be on FaceTime with Coach (Rob) Ehsan a lot, man, it’s crazy. It is calm out there. The weather is great, the education is great, and the 40-year plan. Everybody is well-spoken, and there is a lot of positive energy. If you go to Stanford, you’ll love it because it’s really positive out there.”

Washington: “Quincy Pondexter is my cousin, so they offered me on the spot. Knowing that he’s family, he’s been in the league; he won’t let me fail. He played against some of the greats and was in the league for a long time; he’d show me the ropes. They let their guards play and get up a lot of shots.”

Yates has developed the best relationship with…who?

In a previous interview with On3’s Jamie, Wesley Yates said he’s developed a few relationships with coaches that are stronger than others.

“I feel like I developed the best relationship with Baylor and Houston because they’re so close to me,” Wesley Yates said. “Every time I get around them, it just basically elevates me. I feel like a better person, and they’re always positive. Coach (Scott) Drew, Coach (Kelvin) Sampson, Coach (Alvin) Brooks, all of them, man, like the energy around them is just crazy. I would say Auburn too, and BP (Bruce Pearl).“

Scouting Summary

Wesley Yates is a strong framed guard who plays with a lot of confidence. He is efficient on the ball, taking care of possessions. Yates has deep range on his jump shot and is comfortable off the bounce or the catch. His release point is a little low, but the release is clean and repeatable. Yates has a strong handle, his understanding of change of paces gets him to his spots in the half-court. He is an average athlete, vertically and horizontally, but he competes and has toughness. Yates is a noted gamer and wants the ball in his hands.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high on him. Would love for him to choose us, but I have my doubts that he will.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high on him. Would love for him to choose us, but I have my doubts that he will.

I agree. I feel he's going to choose either LSU, Baylor or Texas. They are all close to home. Which ever school signs him will be getting a very good player.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:33 AM, Tiger720 said:

I agree. I feel he's going to choose either LSU, Baylor or Texas. They are all close to home. Which ever school signs him will be getting a very good player.

I think we have a small chance is if he really wants to play for Pearl and with Holloway more than playing close to home or with family at UW. Perhaps if we have a killer year and lose a wing, he would be a perfect fit for the team. 

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

I think we have a small chance is if he really wants to play for Pearl and with Holloway more than playing close to home or with family at UW. Perhaps if we have a killer year and lose a wing, he would be a perfect fit for the team. 

We will lose a wing next year. I am assuming Flanigan as a Senior will try Pro Ball NBA or overseas even though technically he could use his Covid year. That should help some with Yates but distance may be the issue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

Do we expect to sign more then just Holloway? 

I believe Stretch and Flanigan are seniors so need to be replaces plus we didn't use one scholarship this year so we should have at least 3 available.  Could be more.