Null

2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Tigers have offered Isaiah Coleman, a 6'4"-6'5" SG out of National Christian Academy in the Washington, DC area, #41 in ESPN's most recent rankings of the 2023 class. Check out this thorough breakdown of his game from back in April: Player Evaluation.

Looks like a very solid player only thing I didn't like was turnovers.

• Like 1

It seems like Diop and Butler are backup plans to Baye Fall and maybe others. Fwiw I’ve heard Butler would commit if we gave him the green light. (What a position to be in, these guys are all top 100.)   Arkansas seems to be the favorite for Fall but info is limited.

Some Auburn accounts have routinely suggested we are the favorite for Wesley Yates but I haven’t seen anything to indicate that. The fact that he’s adding fall visits to a new slate of top programs doesn’t suggest to me he will be committing to Auburn anytime soon. My gut tells me we will end up second to someone here, but we are as in it as anyone at this point. Yates is an electric scorer - the kind of recruit I thought we’d routinely land (but haven’t) after Bryce Brown showed what a scoring guard could do in Bruce’s system.

I heard that Yates and Holloway are close and would like to play together, so perhaps that gives us a boost. But Yates also has family at UW and tons of high end suitors, so we'll see what happens. 

• Like 1

I heard that Yates and Holloway are close and would like to play together, so perhaps that gives us a boost. But Yates also has family at UW and tons of high end suitors, so we'll see what happens. 

Holloway has been recruiting for us since before he committed - and not just with Yates.  Love him already. 

• Like 3

Auburn has made the final list of schools contending for highly coveted F Amani Hansberry out of Mount St. Joseph HS in Baltimore, whose final 5 consists of: Auburn, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Penn St. Hansberry had a monster Peach Jam with Team Durant. Here's a full breakdown of Hansberry's game, published earlier this summer: Player Evaluation.

• Like 3

So. Does our bball program have a good long-term future outlook? If we really are that poor?

(This is slightly a rhetorical question, mainly if the answer to the first part of the question is "yes"--in which case I feel more optimistic about our ability to get it together in football too. Now hopefully if bball starts to tank because of NIL, that'll make us get our damn act together.)

Edited by AUwent

So. Does our bball program have a good long-term future outlook? If we really are that poor?

(This is slightly a rhetorical question, mainly if the answer to the first part of the question is "yes"--in which case I feel more optimistic about our ability to get it together in football too. Now hopefully if bball starts to tank because of NIL, that'll make us get our damn act together.)

I don’t think having a good NIL set up would make our football program good 

True, but the lack of a competitive NIL will make you bad. At this point it is a base level expectation for good programs.

• Like 1

Many of our fans would rather cling to "tradition" (DSOR) than be a good program. So you have a point.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

I have confidence that Bruce Pearl will continue to keep our bball program a top 20 program regardless of NIL amounts.

think there’ll be enough money together to get some top pieces and cbp has a knack for getting top 150 recruits and creating a winning team.

I think that’s one of the reasons he likes the non-prototype PG’s (and others).  He can get good talent that’ll stick around a couple years creating a cohesive team.  Then coach them hard, rebounding and defense first.  Play a deep bench which is good for legs, scheme and morale.

• Like 2

True, but the lack of a competitive NIL will make you bad. At this point it is a base level expectation for good programs.

Eh, I think if you were already a good program and could make up for not having as much money with having other things to offer (NFL success, on field success, just success), you’d be fine. I won’t go much further as this isn’t that section and I don’t want to derail, but Auburn football has had far bigger problems the last 24 months than NIL money  

I have confidence that Bruce Pearl will continue to keep our bball program a top 20 program regardless of NIL amounts.

think there’ll be enough money together to get some top pieces and cbp has a knack for getting top 150 recruits and creating a winning team.

I think that’s one of the reasons he likes the non-prototype PG’s (and others).  He can get good talent that’ll stick around a couple years creating a cohesive team.  Then coach them hard, rebounding and defense first.  Play a deep bench which is good for legs, scheme and morale.

I think Auburn is closer to tier 1 in terms of giving competitive offers than tier 2, but we’ll never have to rely on money as the primary motivator for MOST (not all) recruits, bc we have literally everything a recruit could want in terms of accolades and success as a realistic possibility. And this is still in spite of being an Under Armour school!!!

• Like 2

I think Auburn is closer to tier 1 in terms of giving competitive offers than tier 2, but we’ll never have to rely on money as the primary motivator for MOST (not all) recruits, bc we have literally everything a recruit could want in terms of accolades and success as a realistic possibility. And this is still in spite of being an Under Armour school!!!

How long is the UA contract again?

I have to think if we go elsewhere, it's a strong indicator of how much pull Pearl/the basketball program has. Generally speaking, the football fanbase is satisfied with UA and anecdotally speaking, the football players don't seem to view UA as a deal breaker (I would think a good chunk of them even enjoy wearing the stuff, based on how often I would see them rock the gear vs when I would encounter a basketball player - different circumstance usually). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to think if we go elsewhere, it's a strong indicator of how much pull Pearl/the basketball program has. Generally speaking, the football fanbase is satisfied with UA and anecdotally speaking, the football players don't seem to view UA as a deal breaker (I would think a good chunk of them even enjoy wearing the stuff, based on how often I would see them rock the gear vs when I would encounter a basketball player - different circumstance usually). 

I'm not sure about the apparel deal. I would rather be with Nike/Jordan or Adidas purely because the material the soles of the shoes is made with is more comfortable for the players, but other than that I really like UA, personally. The only reason I can see that we might continue with UA is if they still offer the most lucrative bid, but I'm not sure the company will be in a position to make such a bid come renewal time.

• Like 1