2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Dunndone414

On 9/14/2022 at 10:14 PM, Tiger said:

I'm getting real tired of Muss and Arkansas... 

Muss has not been known to stick around one place very long. So heres to hoping he moves on soon. 

• Like 1

Do we have any players we are feeling good about at this time? I know most people feel like Wesley Yates will stay closer to home Texas or LSU. What about Peyton Marshall the big man who visited a few weeks ago?

I believe we will have 5 scholarships available for this coming class.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

On 10/4/2022 at 1:13 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Do we have any players we are feeling good about at this time? I know most people feel like Wesley Yates will stay closer to home Texas or LSU. What about Peyton Marshall the big man who visited a few weeks ago?

I feel pretty confident Bruce has a plan for those scholarships.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:13 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Yates seemed to be the only c/o 2023 kid we were still actively recruiting. Much of that class has committed. The other recent high-profile visits have been for 2024. 

On 10/11/2022 at 7:19 AM, Dunndone414 said:

Yates seemed to be the only c/o 2023 kid we were still actively recruiting. Much of that class has committed. The other recent high-profile visits have been for 2024. 

We will have 5 open slots after this year with only one commit in the 2023 class.  I don't believe we are not still heavily recruiting 2023 players.

I'm sure CBP knows where he stands with each player. Don't we have 3 seniors and you could always lose a couple to the portal depending on how the season goes for each guy? The Covid year which most have is also a consideration. Bruce may feel comfortable with the transfer portal. He has handled it well so far. Coach has done nothing to lose my trust.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing our rookie bigs kill it in NBA of the bat couldn't hurt recruiting pitch. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 12:21 PM, Dunndone414 said:

As On3 reports (free) Baye Fall is the only other potential 2023 signee for the early period.

Reasons for optimism on his front though. Visiting 10/29, Arkansas is favored but getting a second visit is big. 

Isn’t Ace Bailey likely to reclassify to ‘23?  

• 2 months later...

Not 2023 but nowhere else to put it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Ace Bailey to Rutgers.  Hugh taking all the NIL money?

That’s absolutely ridiculous! We have missed on WAY too many recruits lately. I think it’s time for Bruce to mix up his staff. 

• Like 1

Can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said. It was one thing to miss on these wing players to the GL, but we’re just whiffing now. I’d contend we’re still doing well, just with non positions of need, but the 2-3 spots have just fielded some abysmal luck as of late 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said. It was one thing to miss on these wing players to the GL, but we’re just whiffing now. I’d contend we’re still doing well, just with non positions of need, but the 2-3 spots have just fielded some abysmal luck as of late 

After a while it’s not bad luck, we just aren’t getting it done. Admittedly we are still recruiting at a higher level than we have in basically any other era, but we’ve fallen behind some of our rivals lately with HS recruits. We have to make a change if we want to stay at the top of the league, whether it’s with assistants or NIL. Most of the SEC is now investing in basketball, and Texas is coming in soon too. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

After a while it’s not bad luck, we just aren’t getting it done. Admittedly we are still recruiting at a higher level than we have in basically any other era, but we’ve fallen behind some of our rivals lately with HS recruits. We have to make a change if we want to stay at the top of the league, whether it’s with assistants or NIL. Most of the SEC is now investing in basketball, and Texas is coming in soon too. 

Idk who you push out/add, but maybe some youth would help? I would say we have a seemingly older staff, although idk what the average age for good recruiting staffs are

If I had to guess, I would say we’ve gotten to the point where resources & UA affiliation may be the marginal difference between us and our peers. I’d contend that in-player relationships have fueled some of our recent big gets (Okoro, Cooper, Walker namely), so to lose out on a kid with relationships to 2 of those 3 players means we failed elsewhere 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s strange that the Atlanta pipeline has dried up on us. Kanaan Carlyle, Isaiah Collier and Stephon Castle were all top 30 c/o 2023 recruits that had been on campus multiple times and they went elsewhere.  

Not sure how big of a negative it is, but the UA thing has certainly never been a positive in basketball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We definitely need to switch to Nike. No idea how big of an impact that it’s had on these misses, but we have to stop handicapping our coaching staffs. They should be on a level playing field with every other big school. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Ace Bailey to Rutgers.  Hugh taking all the NIL money?

E2978155-007C-4F3B-A088-C9AA17764CAC.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

That’s absolutely ridiculous! We have missed on WAY too many recruits lately. I think it’s time for Bruce to mix up his staff. 

Bruce has spelled it out for us. Our nil in basketball isn’t competitive. It’s why he told them to put the basketball only practice facility on hold and wanted the money to go to NIL. Losing a guy from a pipeline who was thought to be a lock is very concerning and eye opening to fuggin rutgers!!! I know he has a lot of family connections up there and to that staff but I never thought he was going anywhere but AU. And most others didn’t either…..

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

Arkansas is showing this year it’s still extremely risky to go to freshman heavy for your roster. No matter how many 5 stars you have and how highly rated you have. Unfortunately the blue print is bama this year. A mix of blue chip freshman and good transfers/returning vets.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Idk who you push out/add, but maybe some youth would help? I would say we have a seemingly older staff, although idk what the average age for good recruiting staffs are

If I had to guess, I would say we’ve gotten to the point where resources & UA affiliation may be the marginal difference between us and our peers. I’d contend that in-player relationships have fueled some of our recent big gets (Okoro, Cooper, Walker namely), so to lose out on a kid with relationships to 2 of those 3 players means we failed elsewhere 

Nil. If we miss on any of the big time kids who is a top 5 player that ace Bailey is then it means we got out bid. Bruce is extremely frustrated with how our nil for basketball is lacking and anytime he rarely he has spoken publicly on it you can tell he is annoyed. It’s why we didn’t get jarace Walker or Julian Phillips last class when we were in a really good position with both. It’s concerning when non traditional schools like Rutgers and Houston are outbidding us.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

It’s strange that the Atlanta pipeline has dried up on us. Kanaan Carlyle, Isaiah Collier and Stephon Castle were all top 30 c/o 2023 recruits that had been on campus multiple times and they went elsewhere.  

Not sure how big of a negative it is, but the UA thing has certainly never been a positive in basketball. 

Need to go jordan brand in a couple of years when under armour runs out. Like @Dual-Threat Rigbysaid. Sometimes the littlest of marginal differences can push you over the finish line. I still think that combined with nil is why we are recruiting good but not great . With our recent success being the winningest team in the sec the past 5 years we should be recruiting great.

• Thanks 1