2023 Men's Recruiting Thread

Dunndone414

• Sad 1

Guess we should of paid more attention to this blurb in a article this week… @Tiger😭😭

923326CF-A1E5-4B30-9B01-357A88C4BE16.png

• Sad 1

I understood Rutgers beating us out for Cliff Omoruyi but damn this one hurts. We have that mceachern pipeline on lock. Damn

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I understood Rutgers beating us out for Cliff Omoruyi but damn this one hurts. We have that mceachern pipeline on lock. Damn

Apparently not :( 

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nil. If we miss on any of the big time kids who is a top 5 player that ace Bailey is then it means we got out bid. Bruce is extremely frustrated with how our nil for basketball is lacking and anytime he rarely he has spoken publicly on it you can tell he is annoyed. It’s why we didn’t get jarace Walker or Julian Phillips last class when we were in a really good position with both. It’s concerning when non traditional schools like Rutgers and Houston are outbidding us.

Yeah the Phillips one really sucked. Because the effort that went into that, was stellar effort. You didn’t need to be plugged in to know that. I kept reading budget budget budget in his thread on here, and I just don’t think there should be a budget (within reason) if you’re that close to contending. 
This was supposed to be a relatively flat year overall where Arkansas was the super power, but UK and UTk lost some guys and Alabama was supposed to return to the mean. If we had that Phillips type wing guy (on paper), we would’ve been top 3 easy on paper. 

I don’t think we can afford to be relying on a Wendell or a KD going forward. Those need to be the type of recruits (HS or transfer) that round out a roster, not be your anchors. UK has 5 top 30 guys incoming, we got one guy period (who is in that general talent range but still)

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Arkansas is showing this year it’s still extremely risky to go to freshman heavy for your roster. No matter how many 5 stars you have and how highly rated you have. Unfortunately the blue print is bama this year. A mix of blue chip freshman and good transfers/returning vets.

Sure, not every freshman will be Jabari, Okoro, or Cooper as we're seeing with Traore and saw with Okeke, some need time. But we could really use another high level wing in the 2024 class and adding Bailey changes the trajectory of the class. 

• Like 1

So does how does basketball transfer portal work?  Does it have an opening and closing date to enter the portal?  Anybody know if or when that is?

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Short guards are not our problem. It’s the talent level of the ones we currently have. Aden is only listed at 6 ft.

if you sign too many it will be a concern, if you don't have the right pieces to put along with them

Edited by cole256
  • Like 4

On 1/30/2023 at 11:55 AM, cole256 said:

if you sign too many it will be a concern, if you don't have the right pieces to put along with them

Yep 

I wasn't going to beat the bush on it, but we haven't had a rotation that could protect our undersized guards in quite some time. IF (this is an if) we keep rolling out point guard sized SGs, and SG sized small forwards, then we at least need to have an above average sized point guard 

I sure hope Holloway can shoot. We need it. Every year people claim that the next incoming recruit or transfer is a great shooter and oftentimes that’s just not true. We’ll have to wait and see when he shows up. It’s really disappointing that among our 4 smallest players none of them are shooting a decent percentage from 3. I would think the smaller you are the better shooter you better be.

From 3pt:

Wen - 28% (career low)

KD - 27% (career low)

Zep - 30% (career low)

Tre - 26%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUtigers2324 said:

I sure hope Holloway can shoot. We need it. Every year people claim that the next incoming recruit or transfer is a great shooter and oftentimes that’s just not true. We’ll have to wait and see when he shows up. It’s really disappointing that among our 4 smallest players none of them are shooting a decent percentage from 3. I would think the smaller you are the better shooter you better be.

From 3pt:

Wen - 28% (career low)

KD - 27% (career low)

Zep - 30% (career low)

Tre - 26%

The smaller you are the harder it is to get off a good clean look. That is def Wen’s problem. He shot a good percentage at eastern kentucky. But with the step up in size length and athleticism it really affects his shot. So it forces him to take longer 3’s because most of the time it’s the only way he gets a clean look off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUtigers2324 said:

From 3pt:

Wen - 28% (career low)

KD - 27% (career low)

Zep - 30% (career low)

Tre - 26%

I think some of this is the quality of the shot selection. My only criticism of Bruce is that we dont really run an offense. If you notice, if we aren't getting stops on defense, we are having a hard time scoring. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

What time does the party start? Any idea?

@AUnCullmanPettiford and 2024 4* CB in football Jalen Lewis both plan to announce around 2 PM  AU time. Could also get another football commit today.

Philon plans to commit Friday.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AUtigers2324 said:

From 3pt:

Wen - 28% (career low)

KD - 27% (career low)

Zep - 30% (career low)

Tre - 26%

No it doesn't work like that as far as the smaller you are the better you shoot. How it should work is when you are smaller you usually are quicker and you usually have or I guess should have a tighter handle with the ball. That should enable you to create separation to get your shot off. 

But also usually a team will have a couple of guys that can create good shots for other guys. Everybody not shooting a good percentage tells you it's not just individual skills, we are lacking guards that are facilitators or playmakers. Also somebody isn't doing their job or something isn't happening as far as our offensive plays working. 

One of everybody's favorite Auburn shooters is Bryce Brown and if you had to critique his overall game creating shots for himself would be a weakness. And he's not abnormally tall or anything. But he was on a team with other playmakers. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No it doesn't work like that as far as the smaller you are the better you shoot. How it should work is when you are smaller you usually are quicker and you usually have or I guess should have a tighter handle with the ball. That should enable you to create separation to get your shot off. 

But also usually a team will have a couple of guys that can create good shots for other guys. Everybody not shooting a good percentage tells you it's not just individual skills, we are lacking guards that are facilitators or playmakers. Also somebody isn't doing their job or something isn't happening as far as our offensive plays working. 

One of everybody's favorite Auburn shooters is Bryce Brown and if you had to critique his overall game creating shots for himself would be a weakness. And he's not abnormally tall or anything. But he was on a team with other playmakers. 

I so very much miss those transition 3’s that he used to do. Daggers to the other team. Can’t do that w/out the right components and we are sorely lacking those with this roster. 

51 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Our game vs South Carolina was the best our offense has looked all year IMHO. We were passing the ball more and getting great open looks at the basket like we have not gotten all year. We had 20 assists also which is a great indicator of a team looking to make their teammates better or get a higher percentage shot. For whatever reason we haven't done that since. Maybe it was just South Carolina. Although they aren't exactly terrible. 

• Like 1

There’s probably a tracker that just tells you how many years someone has left, but eyeballing the AuburnTigers.com roster, every person that is listed on this site as a senior (as a scholarship player) should be able to come back one more time (Zep is listed as grad transfer, also). 

Without being long winded, is Bruce going to push anyone out to make space  for this upcoming class or just bide his time and go crazy in the 2024 class? I’m just openly wondering 

As a transfer student into Auburn, and a lifelong fan. I played two years of baseball before coming here… Now I know that EVERYONE attends football, and Bruce Pearl has (finally) gotten Auburn Students and fans to sell out the stadium every night. What I don’t understand is for a Southern University where guys grow up playing baseball, why don’t people come to Auburn baseball games?. Butch Thompson has done a TREMENDOUS job here arguably just as well as Bruce Pearl: 3 Super Regional Appearances, 1 CWS trip in a conference that is LOADED with baseball talent. Someone please tell me what I need to do as a student to convince other students and fans to come to the games.

1 hour ago, akarjendo said:

As a transfer student into Auburn, and a lifelong fan. I played two years of baseball before coming here… Now I know that EVERYONE attends football, and Bruce Pearl has (finally) gotten Auburn Students and fans to sell out the stadium every night. What I don’t understand is for a Southern University where guys grow up playing baseball, why don’t people come to Auburn baseball games?. Butch Thompson has done a TREMENDOUS job here arguably just as well as Bruce Pearl: 3 Super Regional Appearances, 1 CWS trip in a conference that is LOADED with baseball talent. Someone please tell me what I need to do as a student to convince other students and fans to come to the games.

Interesting.  maybe this should be on  the Baseball forum.

I would have to say the length of the game.  Most students have too many other "high priorities"  (school, work,  partying, social clubs, "dating" , etc.)   Add to that the sheer number of games.  When you spread out the students that  go to the games over 40 games.  you have smaller crowds.   Lots of long games become a lot of time invested for a 21 year old student.

We should always market toward the students ,  but if we want big crowds every game,  we need to market to Alumni, and non students very heavily. 

22 hours ago, akarjendo said:

I would recommend looking at other baseball crowds and tracking what a baseball crowd should look like in general for a great college program. It may be a crowd that sucks to you that’s above the average 

As far as what I know, it’s a sport that’s hardly televised (at least the college version), has been dumped as a fan favorite to watch decades ago, is generally less exciting than basketball, and just isn’t a sport that tracks well with 18-22 year old humans’ traits. It’s longer, less offensive oriented, less flashy 

Basically the structure of baseball lends itself to be less interesting than basketball, status of program held equal. Which I will agree, these are pretty much equal programs (although Pearl had to build off of a much lower platform, which does play into the status of our basketball perception). 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

As a transfer student into Auburn, and a lifelong fan. I played two years of baseball before coming here… Now I know that EVERYONE attends football, and Bruce Pearl has (finally) gotten Auburn Students and fans to sell out the stadium every night. What I don’t understand is for a Southern University where guys grow up playing baseball, why don’t people come to Auburn baseball games?. Butch Thompson has done a TREMENDOUS job here arguably just as well as Bruce Pearl: 3 Super Regional Appearances, 1 CWS trip in a conference that is LOADED with baseball talent. Someone please tell me what I need to do as a student to convince other students and fans to come to the games. https://1921681254.mx/ https://100001.onl/

I got this,...