Player Statements on Harsin

AUght2win

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Think about your statement. He’s only been here for months, but people in the athletic department have been saying for months that he’s not going to work out. Doesn’t sound like they’ve given a very long rope. 

Harsin has been here for 14 months. I don't recall when the first of those comments was posted. If I had to guess, I'd say six to eight months ago. That's plenty of time in between for a close observer to post an informed opinion.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

That depends. With a healthy Nix we win 9 and none of this is happening. 

Why couldn't we compete after our QB went down? No depth had been builtfor 3-4 years. That's not on Harsin. He needs to get it straightened out, but 14 months (6 unable to recruit off campus) isn't enough time to fix much of anything and even less to develop a fair assessment.

Coach Malzahn handed Harsin, signed, sealed and delivered, one of the most accomplished high school quarterbacks in Texas high school history. That is Dematrius Davis. Davis was an early enrollee, so Harsin had him through spring practice, summer workouts, fall camp and 2/3 of a season. Yet, when Bo Nix went down, Harsin didn't have Davis ready for even emergency duty.

Contrast Gus's development of Bo Nix. Given the exact same time frame, Nix started his very first game in an Auburn uniform and led Auburn to a win over top-ten opponent Oregon.

Not having a backup quarterback ready is a Harsin failure. The blame cannot be placed anywhere else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Didba said:

I personally played for an old TX high school coach that preached destroying entitlement.

Are you one of those SOFT TX players birds always talking about coming from TX high schools? :poke:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Are you one of those SOFT TX players birds always talking about coming from TX high schools? :poke:

This would explain a lot.. 

/s

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Coach Malzahn handed Harsin, signed, sealed and delivered, one of the most accomplished high school quarterbacks in Texas high school history. That is Dematrius Davis. Davis was an early enrollee, so Harsin had him through spring practice, summer workouts, fall camp and 2/3 of a season. Yet, when Bo Nix went down, Harsin didn't have Davis ready for even emergency duty.

Contrast Gus's development of Bo Nix. Given the exact same time frame, Nix started his very first game in an Auburn uniform and led Auburn to a win over top-ten opponent Oregon.

Not having a backup quarterback ready is a Harsin failure. The blame cannot be placed anywhere else.

So TJ just doesn’t exist?

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

On 12/6/2020 at 9:05 AM, Mikey said:

Yes. There aren't many real Auburn-type people left here, so we do stand out in this teapot tempest of crybabies and whiners.

If you want to fire the coach, fine. Start one of those silly "fund me" things and dump your life savings into it. Me, I'll support OUR coach as long as he holds that position. When the next coach comes on board, I'll support him the same way.

In the meantime, all this bellyaching and whining is counter productive.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Preach on Big Bird!!! WDE

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

jacknicholson-nod.gif

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

If you ever went through winter workout in the boiler room at the Coliseum back during Coach Jordan's era, then you know what it meant to be treated like a dog....because when you came out, your tongue was dragging like a dog.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tigers23 said:

What a horrible comparison....comparing Harsin to chemo. What an absolutely idiotic statement 

His last sentence in the tweet was “the cancer will be gone”.  It actually is a good comparison if you read the whole thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

His last sentence in the tweet was “the cancer will be gone”.  It actually is a good comparison if you read the whole thing.

Still a bad comparison.  I did read the whole thing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tigers23 said:

What a horrible comparison....comparing Harsin to chemo. What an absolutely idiotic statement 

I agree. Chemo does kill off the cancer. But it also sometimes kills the person as well. That's unintentionally a good summation of what Harsin is doing.

His culture change may get rid of the bad apples. But it might be so harsh the entire program goes belly up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Interesting the first reply has listed anders carlson, owen pappoe, tank bigsby and derick hall among others to let them know, obviously to a part of the meeting.  I really cannot imagine that they haven't already been consulted.

I would hope that as leaders of the team that their thoughts would be taken into account.  And if they are not, do you really want their anger at being ignored ?   

I have been looking through this for a while now and this has been a wild ride. I think we all need to calm down on taking one side or the other here. The players seem to be falling into two camps.

The first camp seems to be good with Harsin and respect what he is trying to accomplish. The second camp is upset with how they have been treated. I believe (not that it means much) that Harsin is just trying to push hard work and accountability.

However, this does not invalidate those who are upset. My father always told me that "perception is reality." If there are players who feel neglected or mistreated, Harsin's intentions aren't as important. That may be hard to accept, but it's true. It is Harsin's job to work with these players and it is pretty much impossible to guarantee that you will get a team full of people who resonate with Harsin's "tough love." Harsin has to figure out how to connect with all types of players who will come through his program. I don't think he has been malicious in the way he has treated players (I could definitely be wrong on that), but all of this coming out is a sure sign he has some work to do in connecting with his players.

On the statement I made above about intention not being important, your intentions behind your actions do not get to dictate how other people perceive and react to your actions. You may get the opportunity to explain yourself to iron things out, but you don't get to tell other people that they are wrong to see things a certain way. You also don't get to force forgiveness after the fact. If these players feel slighted, that is their perception of the events and Harsin doesn't necessarily get a chance for forgiveness. That doesn't make Harsin the devil and it doesn't make the players soft or lazy. All of those things may be true, but these events don't really show that to me.