Player Statements on Harsin

AUght2win

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The player comments explain everything, except the discussion to fire the man. I’ve been involved with leadership and team building/culture building my whole adult life. I’ve Many styles work and not all are for everyone. Nick Saban curses and screams and processes players to fit his needs, and he hangs banners. Some players love his style, some don’t. Tom Osborne rarely raised his voice or cursed, but won a ton including 3 National Championships. Some loved him and some left him. Different strokes for different folks. 

For the players who don't care for or cant adjust to Harsin’s style I hope you find the right spot for you. For those who love his approach and style, War Eagle and thanks for staying. But I hope if he loses his job it’s not because of a few players who are choosing to be happier somewhere else. 

Many styles do work which is the point of contingency leadership theories such as path goal and situational leadership theory. But one thing is pretty consistently found in leadership research. Abusive supervision is consistently a detriment. Abusive leaders make people work just hard enough to not get yelled at, but they don’t get people to perform up to their potential. And most importantly in a game where recruiting is so important, people don’t want to follow abusive leaders. If that’s what’s going on, Harsin will very likely continue to have players leaving through the portal.

As for Saban, I have friends close to Alabama’s program, and they say that he’s relaxed more with the players in the last few years. He pushes them and expects excellence, but he’s also learned to be supportive and encouraging off the field. He actually does make an effort to connect and give a damn about his players. 

2 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

You tell'em Shenker Too bad Shenk only has one year left need a team full with that attitude. Oh wait that's what Coach is doing separating the wheat from the chaff.

If there had been that much chaff AU wouldn't have had eight straight winning seasons prior to Harsin taking over. What's happened is not "trimming the fat". It's not "separating the chaff". When 20 recruited, scholarship players bail out through the portal and we can only bring in five, what's happening is wrecking the team.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You shouldn't even be commenting. You've bashed anybody trying to sound the alarm for months.

You must be the commenting police!!

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m not hearing “for cause” worthy stuff here. If the PTB wants to write a check, that’s one thing. 

Yep. Some folks like steak rare, others well done, others don’t like steak period.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You must be the commenting police!!

No, I'm not. That's the point. There was a group for months that tried to silence anybody who was talking about this stuff. Now it's all coming out.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If there had been that much chaff AU wouldn't have had eight straight winning seasons prior to Harsin taking over. What's happened is not "trimming the fat". It's not "separating the chaff". When 20 recruited, scholarship players bail out through the portal and we can only bring in five, what's happening is wrecking the team.

So you really think all 20 left because their feelz were hurt?  Or is it more plausible at least half of them were encouraged to hit the portal by Harsin?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yep. Some folks like steak rare, others well done, others don’t like steak period.

And some medium, but few cooks can pull that off. 😉

• Like 1

Cross posting from hunter thread bc it feels valid here:

I alluded to this several weeks ago in a different thread but our head coach in high school who went 28-0 in our district over a four year span. I was in the middle years. I hated that old SOB, he told me to be a dog not a cat, and many other not nice things. He would go on tirades all the time. Hard nosed as they come but we were mentally tough and disciplined. He developed a spring mental toughness camp. Called camp fun. Mind over body. 30 minutes of pure hell, outside weather cold, obstacle course with army style stations and you sprinted 100 yards from each station. It was called camp fun. It was miserable. Our program revolved around destroying player entitlement. A handful of Entitled players can destroy a program.  Couple years after I graduated parents complained to the administration about camp fun and they made the coaches shut it down. Football team hasn't been the same since.

• Like 1

Did Harsin never talk to the parents of his players at Boise, other than when he was recruiting those players?

Edited by Randy4AU
misspelled word

52 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m not hearing “for cause” worthy stuff here. If the PTB wants to write a check, that’s one thing. 

Agreed for cause is a high std. I researched the for cause reasons last night and this isn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, Randy4AU said:

Did Harsin never talk to the parents of his players at Boise, other than when he was recruiting those players?

We really think this is the major thing that is holding our football team back? Sounds silly to me. I thought the poster was being facetious when he brought up Smoke’s comment.

What has Harsin's relationship with the Auburn student body been? I feel like he's distant from them.  

Pearl has worked to always communicate with the students and supports all the teams at Auburn.  Pearl is probably the best cheerleader the school has ever had. Yes I know he gets a bonus for game attendance, but he's been that way since the day he arrived on the Auburn jet and meet fans at the airport.

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No, I'm not. That's the point. There was a group for months that tried to silence anybody who was talking about this stuff. Now it's all coming out.

I never tried to silence stuff, people were just tired of hearing negativity every day. At least that's how it was for me sometimes.

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

And some medium, but few cooks can pull that off. 😉

Just fyi, 4, 4, 2, 2 method over medium heat will give you a medium steak every time for a roughly 1 inch thick steak. It's like science. I have not overcooked a steak in years...

Edited by Didba

14 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

So now you have joined that group, just for the opposite reason.

57 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The Smoke quote about never speaking to his parents is pretty damning. That's indefensible on Harsin's part. Stuff like that he needs to get it together on.

You know how often our head coach talked to our parents? Not the same level obviously but a head coaches job isn't to talk to current seniors parents on a regular basis. Imo. Kinda strange it never happened but not unimaginable. Honestly, only time a coach would talk to a parent where I'm from was if the player was screwing up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cptau said:

What has Harsin's relationship with the Auburn student body been? I feel like he's distant from them.  

Pearl has worked to always communicate with the students and supports all the teams at Auburn.  Pearl is probably the best cheerleader the school has ever had. Yes I know he gets a bonus for game attendance, but he's been that way since the day he arrived on the Auburn jet and meet fans at the airport.

Harsin was out in the cold last Saturday morning handing out biscuits to students standing in line for the OK game.  I know this bc my daughter got one from him....as well as a selfie with Barkley once inside!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

So now you have joined that group, just for the opposite reason.

Point taken. Nobody has to stop posting. Just didn't appreciate the now-realized concerns being trampled on. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

Yes but……there are players all over the country competing in academics and on field opportunities.  They practice hard, play hard, study hard, have coaches that are jerks.  Some of them were coddled, some not, some poor, some middle class.  Why are the Auburn players complaining?  Why are Auburn players the outlier? I have no idea what is going on with the Athletic program, but it needs to get fixed. I want kids to have a great college experience, get a great education, put their talents on display, and make their family and alumni proud. We pay the salaries, we build the dorms, we pay for the expansions, we buy the tickets.  Get your s*#% together Auburn athletics.  Do the right thing for the  students and earn your money . You are the adults in charge.   Refresh your memory on the Auburn creed that you so often talk about.  

Bc we had a coach that bred player entitlement, and was buddy buddies with players for 8 years. It became the culture.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

I will

Let's see it big boy and it better not be inadmissible hearsay 😉

13 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

We really think this is the major thing that is holding our football team back? Sounds silly to me. I thought the poster was being facetious when he brought up Smoke’s comment.

It's not a major thing.

26 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

People who like steaks well done don't deserve steaks. I low-key refuse to cook a steal well done, pretentious as it sounds.

• Like 1