Player Statements on Harsin

AUght2win

Just now, Didba said:

You know how often our head coach talked to our parents? Not the same level obviously but a head coaches job isn't to talk to current seniors parents on a regular basis. Imo. Kinda strange it never happened but not unimaginable. Honestly, only time a coach would talk to a parent where I'm from was if the player was screwing up.

One call is all you need. This is a senior leader. And you're essentially the kid's new guardian in many ways. One call to tell the parents Smoke is in good hands and assure them even though you aren't the man they entrusted their son with, that you're going to take care of him.

20 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

So you really think all 20 left because their feelz were hurt?  Or is it more plausible at least half of them were encouraged to hit the portal by Harsin?

I think the majority left because they didn't like what is going on inside the AU football program. This is a question of numbers. Had eight or ten left, then maybe, even though it's year two of the Harsin experiment, just maybe the coach was weeding them out. Unlikely but possible.

When 20 leave and there are only five replacements being brought in, that's a different story. Sadly, it's a story of incompetence.

• Like 1

I don’t see anything damning enough to fire him and not have to pay him. What players we have left must suck it up. We will probably suck for a year or two. But we piss away 20+ million BEFORE we hire any replacements.. it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

One call is all you need. This is a senior leader. And you're essentially the kid's new guardian in many ways. One call to tell the parents Smoke is in good hands and assure them even though you aren't the man they entrusted their son with, that you're going to take care of him.

This is a good point. One day, 3-4 hours devoted to calling all of the seniors juniors parents, when he was hired.  Thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This is silly IMO. This is a senior (meaning if he was good enough would not be here but gone to NFL). They (NFL head coaches) probably aren’t calling their parents to tell them he would “take care of them”. I would also say if he did that it would indeed be disingenuous as he knows he is coming to try to change the way Auburn football is done from day to day.

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

This is silly IMO. This is a senior (meaning if he was good enough would not be here but gone to NFL). They (NFL head coaches) probably aren’t calling their parents to tell them he would “take care of them”. I would also say if he did that it would indeed be disingenuous as he knows he is coming to try to change the way Auburn football is done from day to day.

Lmao. Clueless. You think the role of an NFL coach managing multimillionaire adults is comparable with a college coach managing 19-20 year old students? 

And clearly it matters enough for Smoke to mention. So whether or not it's important isn't debatable.

• Like 1

Lmao. Clueless. You think the role of an NFL coach managing multimillionaire adults is comparable with a college coach managing 19-20 year old students? 

And clearly it matters enough for Smoke to mention. So whether or not it's important isn't debatable.

Silly!!

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think the majority left because they didn't like what is going on inside the AU football program. This is a question of numbers. Had eight or ten left, then maybe, even though it's year two of the Harsin experiment, just maybe the coach was weeding them out. Unlikely but possible.

When 20 leave and there are only five replacements being brought in, that's a different story. Sadly, it's a story of incompetence.

Mikey you supported Gus no matter what and you have been negative on Harsin since the day he was hired. What happened to the Mikey who used to claim I support the coach while he is the coach. Harsin may turn out to be bad and maybe not but so much negativity from day 1 is a bad look for you.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What? It's not necessarily true that the only reason they are there is because they aren't good enough to be in the NFL. No NFL coaches wouldn't be expected to meet a player parents but college coaches would and Auburn is a college. And what do coming in changing football have to do with meeting parents? 

Anytime something happens to a college player people think what does the head coach has to say

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Golf brings the PBR. Bird & I our appetites and winning dispositions.

Golf welcome to bring what he wants…..I will give you guys a decent beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Mikey you supported Gus no matter what and you have been negative on Harsin since the day he was hired. What happened to the Mikey who used to claim I support the coach while he is the coach. Harsin may turn out to be bad and maybe not but so much negativity from day 1 is a bad look for you.

He and TB are the biggest gus apologists. Take that for what it is. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

What? It's not necessarily true that the only reason they are there is because they aren't good enough to be in the NFL. No NFL coaches wouldn't be expected to meet a player parents but college coaches would and Auburn is a college. And what do coming in changing football have to do with meeting parents? 

Anytime something happens to a college player people think what does the head coach has to say

We just disagree on this one.

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Golf welcome to bring what he wants…..I will give you guys a decent beer.

As long as it's coldfree, my favorite brand of beer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Randy4AU said:

Did Harsin never talk to the parents of his players at Boise, other than when he was recruiting those players?

I remember him saying that Dan Hawkins was a mentor of his... and Hawkins went off on parents one time because some players were going to miss a vacation or something. HAwkins didn't like parents, he was all about football

My daughter played college softball, and after her recruitment we never heard from the coach again.  Also had a coaching change and guess what?  The new coach never called us.  Oh the horror!  

• Like 3

Well apparently Harsin does too. And it may get him 

Just now, AUatHeart said:

My daughter played college softball, and after her recruitment we never heard from the coach again.  Also had a coaching change and guess what?  The new coach never called us.  Oh the horror!  

Criminal!!!

1 minute ago, AUatHeart said:

So your daughter's coach was bad too. Sorry to hear that, and that you weren't bothered by not knowing the person who led them on a day to day basis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

So your daughter's coach was bad too. Sorry to hear that, and that you weren't bothered by not knowing the person who led them on a day to day basis.

My daughter had no issues with the new coach, so why should I?  Sorry, I raised my daughter to be self sufficient and able to think for herself.  

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Well apparently Harsin does too. And it may get him fired.

I have a close friend of mine whose son is a running back at Duke. He is headed into his sophomore year. I just messaged her and asked her if she has talked to Cutcliffe since her son arrived on campus. She told me no.

Edited by wcware
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

My daughter had no issues with the new coach, so why should I?  Sorry, I raised my daughter to be self sufficient and able to think for herself.  

No offense but your daughter wasn't on the precipe of joining a multimillion dollar industry, with the pressures of playing in front of hundreds of thousands each week, dealing with social media inundation, while also studying for a degree and spending countless more hours in the athletic building. 

1 minute ago, wcware said:

I have a close friend of mine whose son is a running back at Duke. He is headed into his sophomore year. I just messaged her and asked her if she has talked to Cutcliffe since her son arrived on campus. She told me no.

That's different! Cuttclife recruited and established trust with that family first. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

No offense but your daughter wasn't on the precipe of joining a multimillion dollar industry, with the pressures of playing in front of hundreds of thousands each week, dealing with social media inundation, while also studying for a degree and spending countless more hours in the athletic building. 

Maybe not hundreds of thousands, but it was a good 100 or 150 she was playing in front of 😂

All good though, I was just making a point about coaches not really caring about us parents.  Second coach was all class and my daughter absolutely loved playing for her.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wcware said:

I’m sure that is why Duke and him agreed to part ways. What a terrible person.

• Haha 3