TIFWIW

TigerHorn

23 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

How is a right hire coach coming when we apparently can’t afford the right assistants that Harsin wanted?

He was given the ability to hire Bobo and Austin Davis.  He drug his feet on hiring Davis and then the hire backfired on him.  That has been a week ago, including his vacation time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree. But think about that. I never thought I’d see a day when the HC at Baylor wouldn’t jump at the chance to come to Auburn. My how times have changed. 

That has changed for virtually everyone.  Who would have thought that a basketball coach would turn down UCLA to stay at Tennessee?  It happened 2 years ago. Most schools have big money now or the ability to leverage for it with debt spending. 

Look at the hires around the SEC.  There are no blockbuster hires outside of LSU hiring Kelley and most believe that they could have done just as well by spending less than half as much making another hire.

Edited by AU9377

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Our best friends are both Texas Exes and currently live in ATX so we visit them often. He just graduated from McCombs this past spring with his masters. 

I wish Auburn had something like the UT Club.  They are members and we go there at least once every time we visit. 

And Abel’s for texas teas 😋

Both of my Master's are UT, one from Cockrell, one from McCombs. It is a shame that AU doesn't have a network like the Texas Exes. I'm a life member, and I guess I have privileges there too, but I've only been a couple of times. Too many other great places to eat and relax here.....

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

How is a right hire coach coming when we apparently can’t afford the right assistants that Harsin wanted?

The assistants Harsin hired were were paid at the top tier. For example, Mason took a $400,000 a year pay cut to leave Auburn for Oklahoma State. He wanted away from Harsin that badly.

Who did Harsin want that AU wouldn't pay?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Nope. I was pretty plugged in to the UT program at the time, see my other post. CGC and CWM both came with the understanding they would eventually be HCIW. That's why UT had Akina, so CGC would have a DC if CMB decided to hang it up. There were a couple of times in CMB's office where I wanted to slap him for taking AU DC's, but as a Texas Ex, I couldn't get all that angry about it. 

FWIW, I think CMB surprised himself over how many years he wound up staying in coaching. He seemed to be ready to retire as early as 2009 at any time. 

This is what I remembered/knew. However, I could not remember how much of it was ever made public so I wasn't going to dispute the issue.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:28 PM, milehighfan said:

This isn't just bad, this is industrial strength bad. I can't imagine who they would get as a replacement. JMO but I don't see any coach worth a s--t wanting this job.

Kind of like Bama after Price & Shula or Neutered Dame or TX after (pick a coach), Oh wait...

I hope university holds press conference saying we've thoroughly investigated, found only whiny former players, and for his troubles we're giving Harsin & his family a raise and/or extension. Go get em coach!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

I hope university holds press conference saying we've thoroughly investigated, found only whiny former players, and for his troubles we're giving Harsin & his family a raise and/or extension. Go get em coach!

Pretty sure AU holds the record for most whiny/disgruntled former players. Just waiting for another HBO special to drop.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Kind of like Bama after Price & Shula or Neutered Dame or TX after (pick a coach), Oh wait...

Not even close. There was clear evidence against price so the school didn’t look like meddling power grabbing jerks forcing him out. Huge distinction 

9 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Let’s look at the big picture as to why some who are paying these salaries might have some pause and want some answers before opening the purse strings for Harsin again….

Williams.  Fired mid season, had to pay him what $600k for coaching 4 games?

Bobo.  Fired after IB…again, probably had some sort of buyout

New OC….first one Harsin wanted could not even pass AU compliance and was just forced out of his job due to recruiting violations.  Finally hires Davis, who resigns (forced or willingly is debatable) before he even starts. 

Mason….leaves for a lesser program and less money.  Mason’s total contract was 2 years/$3M but he only made $1.3 of that last year, and was set to make $1.7M this year….so he left $600k on the table to leave Auburn. 

If I had a business, and had a manager and these were things I was seeing happening inside that company, I’d have some questions too and wonder what the hell was happening especially when its atypical for my company. 

Harsin is perfectly fine with asking the boosters to pay some of these buyouts when he fires people, and Auburn people are perfectly fine having boosters pay buyouts of coaches when they are ready for them to go (Tubs, Chizik, Gus)….but OMG if the boosters start saying…..whoa, hold up, WTF is going on in this program and WTF are we paying for….everyone cries “big bad boosters!” 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

If I had a business, and had a manager and these were things I was seeing happening inside that company, I’d have some questions too and wonder what the hell was happening especially when its atypical for my company. 

If you had a company that was in such bad shape that you had to hire a manager to clean it up, you might be the issue. 

Companies do this every day. Sometimes it saves the company, sometimes it does not.The real fault lies with those who allowed it to get that bad in the first place. But we don't seem to want to have that conversation. .

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 3

Guest MustardSeed
14 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

If you had a company that was in such bad shape that you had to hire a manager to clean it up, you might be the issue. 

Companies do this every day. Sometimes it saves the company, sometimes it does not.The real fault lies with those who allowed it to get that bad in the first place. But we don't seem to want to have that conversation. .

The claim though is that it wasn’t that bad.  However some players have eluded to the softness of the previous staff. Was it that bad?  Probably not terrible, but certainly not up to standards. So AG brought in a hard nosed guy to change the culture from softer to harder. That’s guaranteed to rub folks. I know the movies make these transitions from soft teams to hard teams a one year championship deal, but reality is never that clean cut and to actually change the culture from soft to hard nosed against the type of competition we face is gonna be messy and take some time and it will probably look to be going backwards at some times but that’s why most coaches get a 3 year minimum. Because 1st year issues don’t mean 3rd year failures. They’re expected.  Either Harsin did something egregious or this is the largest scale crap show we’ve ever witnessed. One deserves rallying around AU and other deserves abandoning ship. I’m expecting the second but still open to the first as possible.  

8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

The claim though is that it wasn’t that bad.  However some players have eluded to the softness of the previous staff. Was it that bad?  Probably not terrible, but certainly not up to standards. So AG brought in a hard nosed guy to change the culture from softer to harder. That’s guaranteed to rub folks. I know the movies make these transitions from soft teams to hard teams a one year championship deal, but reality is never that clean cut and to actually change the culture from soft to hard nosed against the type of competition we face is gonna be messy and take some time and it will probably look to be going backwards at some times but that’s why most coaches get a 3 year minimum. Because 1st year issues don’t mean 3rd year failures. They’re expected.  Either Harsin did something egregious or this is the largest scale crap show we’ve ever witnessed. One deserves rallying around AU and other deserves abandoning ship. I’m expecting the second but still open to the first as possible.  

Most of us know this and are waiting for the full explanation. However, once again, the vocal minority take over every discussion. And sadly you have others that just feel despair and are ready to give up. The whole situation stinks and should have never needed the change required. But here we are. 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:49 PM, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Not man years ago all this drama would be upsetting to me. I am glad I have found my happy place on the golf course, even on a Saturday in the fall. What happens will happen and I will support who ever is the head coach just like I always have. 
Plus Baseball season is almost upon us. 

Yes.....baseball!!  Another week and a half!! 

And March Madness is just around the corner.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Let’s look at the big picture as to why some who are paying these salaries might have some pause and want some answers before opening the purse strings for Harsin again….

New OC….first one Harsin wanted could not even pass AU compliance and was just forced out of his job due to recruiting violations.  Finally hires Davis, who resigns (forced or willingly is debatable) before he even starts. 

Mason….leaves for a lesser program and less money.  Mason’s total contract was 2 years/$3M but he only made $1.3 of that last year, and was set to make $1.7M this year….so he left $600k on the table to leave Auburn. 

Harsin is perfectly fine with asking the boosters to pay some of these buyouts when he fires people, and Auburn people are perfectly fine having boosters pay buyouts of coaches when they are ready for them to go (Tubs, Chizik, Gus)….but OMG if the boosters start saying…..whoa, hold up, WTF is going on in this program and WTF are we paying for….everyone cries “big bad boosters!” 

God bless you for being a voice of reason!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Almost all companies have managers. What? Unless you are a small time business, which I don't think that's what she was talking about. 

25 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Yes baseball please... best sport ever..

I see us being better this year👍
Plus I love MLB

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Maybe not MLB so that will suck(I need my Red Sox dang it). But hey we do have USFL coming back this year so yay! Hopefully it's good. 

Edited by autiger88

7 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

You total skim over whether the firings were justified or not. I for one wasn't overly impressed by any of the 3 coaches from what I saw on the field. You also don't really know if Harsin was encouraged to make any of the hires for some reason or another. 

Lots of people giving their opinions and none knowing details of what really went on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman87 said:

You total skim over whether the firings were justified or not. I for one wasn't overly impressed by any of the 3 coaches from what I saw on the field. You also don't really know if Harsin was encouraged to make any of the hires for some reason or another. 

Lots of people giving their opinions and none knowing details of what really went on.

Common sense tells us that a hard-headed guy like Harsin, who was already in a secure job with no pressure, would not come to a new job where others would dictate who his assistants would be. That doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 8:52 PM, augolf1716 said:

Damn straight there is

Your exactly right . When will folks realize that for 6 million a year ( which AU can pay because the football brings in an income of well over 100 million a year) Top coaches are not afraid of being fired. They believe in theirself to a point they think they will be successful not a failure . Same as good players , they go where they want, they don’t live in fear of not being the best at that school . Doesn’t matter if their are 4 five stars ahead of them. Good folks don’t sit around planning an escape hatch . That’s for showboaters that know they are riding a bluff. 🤔  

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:29 PM, Mikey said:

Common sense tells us that a hard-headed guy like Harsin, who was already in a secure job with no pressure, would not come to a new job where others would dictate who his assistants would be. That doesn't make any sense.

No Harsin felt like he was good enough to make it in the premier league in the country the SEC West. He had no idea what it felt like to play against a Nick Saben/Kirby Smart: etc every week. Now he knows. This is a league you better have some great help on your sideline, not a bunch of seat holders. Nick Sabin only hires great coaches and they are even willing to take low pay, and a secondary job until they get their chance to be on the field. The coach of an SEC West team has to be a CEO type, willing to hire the best and not be afraid to let them do their job .

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

On 2/8/2022 at 12:45 PM, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Yes baseball please... best sport ever..

I see us being better this year👍
Plus I love MLB

The injury bug was living in Plainsman Park last season. I hope it left and went somewhere else. It's hard to have a good season when nobody is healthy.

• Like 2