Head Coaching Search 2022

Zeek

It seems fair to go ahead and start the discussion about who could be next as Auburn's new head football coach. Everyone from 247 to Auburn Live and even the insiders here has acknowledged there is virtually zero chance Harsin survives this chaos. So let's look to the future and think about who might be the next leader of the program.

This isn't a thread to discuss the drama surrounding Harsin or the BOT/PTB. Here I would like the focus to be on who you would like Auburn to hire (in a realistic manner). Here are some thoughts that are solely my own opinions and by no means facts.

There are some names that I think are completely off limits or not happening:

• Bob Stoops -> the dude is 61 years old going on 62. He is already retired and has repeatedly been linked to every single coaching search where thirsty fans thrust his name out there. Don't waste your breath trying to lobby for this hire.
  • Urban Meyer -> just stop. Auburn is never bringing in the chaos filled nightmare that is Urban Meyer. Don't even compare his troubles to Bruce Pearl's. Bruce mostly just had a BBQ while Urban has repeatedly covered up or ignored serious crimes form murder to prostitution and abuse/misconduct from assistant coaches. IF Harsin is really being terminated because of off-field issues than there is less the 0% chance we take a swing on Meyer here.

I would be surprised if we go after anyone with any of these qualities:

1. A huge buyout at their current job
  2. Not from the southeast
  3. No SEC experience or connections
  4. Doesn't have a track record as a recruiter
  5. Doesn't have experience as HC

My guess is that it will be a very JABA hire and be closer to what we saw with guys like Chizik and Malzahn. Someone with an Auburn connection and that will play ball with the PTB more. Whether or not that's good is another discussion altogether but it does make narrowing down candidates a little more clear.

• Hugh Freeze -> some of the decision makers last time really wanted him but there is obviously a morality conflict there if you're removing Harsin for similar issues.
  • Will Muschamp -> I despise the idea of this but it would not surprise me in the least
  • Dan Mullen -> same as Muschamp to me but his inability to recruit better at UF might be a problem
  • Rhett Lashlee -> I think his lack of HC experience eliminates him but this would be full blown JABA
  • Jeff Grimes -> again not a HC but he does have the Auburn connection and is a hot name right now
  • Kevin Steele -> this would be horrendous but one would think the same PTB that pushed for him once will float his name out there again to try and get their way.
  • Kendal Briles -> If the staff wants to go with a young up-and-comer (39) then this is an interesting option. Currently in the SEC and recruiting well. Has the coaching tree under his dad and he played football at Texas and Houston. I don't think there's a strong chance but it is plausible.
  • Jeff Lebby -> would be a bit of a difficult pull since he just took the OC/QB job at Oklahoma but his offense definitely intrigues people. I would be surprised if he doesn't at leat get a cursory look.

Should be more chaos on the plains.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

We will get another coach that is underwhelming! Keep in mind, these are the same idiots that tried to hire Houston Nutt and was forced to pay Tuberville and wanted Kevin Steele the last time. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Prime Time! Buy him a good OC and DC and BOOM! The big star players will be running to us. He can be bought. 

Edited by VegasEagle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 3

If we can't compare Urban to BP than don't see how we can do the same for Freeze. Seriously, people on here were outraged about Harsin's daughters attire at games. Imagine the outcry if we hire Hugh, regardless of if he's been punished. Back up the brinks to Fickell, Rhule, and Aranda in that order. When they say no, hire Grimes or Lebby

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Prime Time! Buy him a good OC and DC and BOOM! The big star players will be running to us. He can be bought. 

Might be in my top 10 of "do not want" 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Grimes all the way. He has been a good OC for a few years now. Former OL coach that would be able to fix the biggest problem our team has. He can run offense and then go get someone to run the defense. 

• Like 8

I pull for Fickell. Just because he would bring a lot of excitement to fans and potential recruits. I do not see any other option that is an instant perception changer. Others may end up being great coaches but this would feel like a win in a bad situation. May not be possible but I can hope.

29 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It seems fair to go ahead and start the discussion about who could be next as Auburn's new head football coach. Everyone from 247 to Auburn Live and even the insiders here has acknowledged there is virtually zero chance Harsin survives this chaos. So let's look to the future and think about who might be the next leader of the program.

This isn't a thread to discuss the drama surrounding Harsin or the BOT/PTB. Here I would like the focus to be on who you would like Auburn to hire (in a realistic manner). Here are some thoughts that are solely my own opinions and by no means facts.

• Bob Stoops -> the dude is 61 years old going on 62. He is already retired and has repeatedly been linked to every single coaching search where thirsty fans thrust his name out there. Don't waste your breath trying to lobby for this hire.
  • Urban Meyer -> just stop. Auburn is never bringing in the chaos filled nightmare that is Urban Meyer. Don't even compare his troubles to Bruce Pearl's. Bruce mostly just had a BBQ while Urban has repeatedly covered up or ignored serious crimes form murder to prostitution and abuse/misconduct from assistant coaches. IF Harsin is really being terminated because of off-field issues than there is less the 0% chance we take a swing on Meyer here.

My guess is that it will be a very JABA hire and be closer to what we saw with guys like Chizik and Malzahn. Someone with an Auburn connection and that will play ball with the PTB more. Whether or not that's good is another discussion altogether but it does make narrowing down candidates a little more clear.

• Hugh Freeze -> some of the decision makers last time really wanted him but there is obviously a morality conflict there if you're removing Harsin for similar issues.
  • Will Muschamp -> I despise the idea of this but it would not surprise me in the least
  • Dan Mullen -> same as Muschamp to me but his inability to recruit better at UF might be a problem
  • Rhett Lashlee -> I think his lack of HC experience eliminates him but this would be full blown JABA
  • Jeff Grimes -> again not a HC but he does have the Auburn connection and is a hot name right now
  • Kevin Steele -> this would be horrendous but one would think the same PTB that pushed for him once will float his name out there again to try and get their way.
  • Kendal Briles -> If the staff wants to go with a young up-and-comer (39) then this is an interesting option. Currently in the SEC and recruiting well. Has the coaching tree under his dad and he played football at Texas and Houston. I don't think there's a strong chance but it is plausible.
  • Jeff Lebby -> would be a bit of a difficult pull since he just took the OC/QB job at Oklahoma but his offense definitely intrigues people. I would be surprised if he doesn't at leat get a cursory look.

Well the one good side to hiring Freeze is we won't have any trouble finding for cause when we fire him.  The down side is cleaning up his damage that he did to Auburn upon his firing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

I pull for Fickell. Just because he would bring a lot of excitement to fans and potential recruits. I do not see any other option that is an instant perception changer. Others may end up being great coaches but this would feel like a win in a bad situation. May not be possible but I can hope.

I would bet that he does not want any part of this mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Unrealistic pick: Dave Aranda

Realistic: Grimes and Bill Obrien

Oh hell no: Freeze, Muschamp and Steele.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Might be in my top 10 of "do not want" 

Can I ask why? Dude is gonna be dangerous when he gets moved up. Better us then whoever else. 

• Like 3

Jeff Grimes is the budget pick with the biggest upside and we know he can recruit linemen.

Hugh Freeze will be Gus 2.0 but with way more personal and NCAA baggage.

Anyone seriously floating Muschamp is on drugs and needs an intervention.

Pretty uninspiring list overall but what can you do when it's February and you're airing your laundry for the whole country to see?

• Like 5

I think we have to be realistic about the fact that its less about who we want and more about who would want us. I'm not trying to be snarky here. I think we can get a good coach in Grimes, Briles and or Freeze. But The idea of a big name coach however is just not going to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Jeff Grimes is the budget pick with the biggest upside and we know he can recruit linemen.

Hugh Freeze will be Gus 2.0 but with way more personal and NCAA baggage.

Anyone seriously floating Muschamp is on drugs and needs an intervention.

Pretty uninspiring list overall but what can you do when it's February and you're airing your laundry for the whole country to see?

The idea that Freeze is Gus 2.0 is ridiculous. What he did with Malik is all the proof you need that this comparison is ridiculous.

• Like 7