Men vs Arkansas Game Thread

Maverick.AU

22 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn’t get much pushback on it for a while, and then I did with some of the heroics, but I’m not really sure how the tunnel vision KD has is just becoming apparent now. Regardless of making the shot, if you have a guy dribble for 10 seconds and jack up a step back three or drive into 4 people, THAT is tunnel vision. That’s been the only version of KD we have ever seen in orange and blue 

It's not, it's just when we are winning and you offer criticism people literally become upset with your opinions and ignore. 

Then when there's a difference of opinion if you aren't a rah rah guy your posts rub people the wrong way it's no win. If you disagree you are the a hole but when someone disagrees with you you are still an a hole. Pretty much the last 3-4 years you think about when I've bad interaction on here it's when I said Brown wasn't as good, then I critiqued okoro's perimeter offensive game, then Powell wasn't as good as we were hyping, and Cooper 's outside shot. I spoke no lies but had bad arguments. 

Seems like if you reply back twice it will be assumed that you think you are the only person with a voice, when in fact I just like talking basketball and teaching and learning. I guess what's common to me because of my profession isn't common to many in theirs. 

The spirit of debate is gone for whatever reason and when it's that type of culture learning is erased. At my job and literally the nuclear industry if decisions are made and nobody questioned anybody there will literally be a meeting and management will let you know they will not stand for that. If you are too nice or polite, or timid, or whatever reason they will let you go and find somebody who doesn't have a problem questioning decisions. 

But you guys discussion you hit on things I was thinking about. Somebody mentioned how well we were scouted. Our depth. And it was pretty clear on film that our guards aren't the best decision makers with the ball in their hand. People are going to attack that. 

That's pretty much all I do on here, I post what I would say or do if I was either coaching against us or playing against us. 

Bout time the tournament starts expect a bunch of traps and full court presses. Expect people to take zep out of the game and even green and people thinking let's see how their other ball handlers handle a little pressure. 

If it was me I'd guard zep and would be pressuring the hell out of everybody and randomly leaving him open while doubling Smith whenever he was in the high post. If somebody has an athlete around Flannigans size and athletic ability that's how I would use them and have them reaking havoc and causing chaos all over the court.

Then all I need is for it to be close at the end of the game. I know I can come up with a couple of possessions where they either give us the ball or take horrible shots where it's pretty much giving us the ball.

Now if the guards took their time, swing the ball, and keep getting it into Smith's hands.....well I'm in trouble. We'll see if our guards will be smart enough for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Bout time the tournament starts expect a bunch of traps and full court presses. Expect people to take zep out of the game and even green and people thinking let's see how their other ball handlers handle a little pressure. 

And that’s essentially what UK was able to do and do when they had both Sahvir and Tyty. Sahvir could meet Zep 3/4ths down the court, consistently got the ball out his hand, and pretty much eliminated him from the possession. Tyty is good enough to make life difficult for Wendell, and none of the possessions looked fluid with those two in. That really changed my perception of our guard unit on a national scale, bc while most teams don’t have a Sahvir level on-ball defender, I do think many of the elite teams can create traps to replicate the intended effect. For all he is good at, he’s not a creative dribbler

Even though Flan is clearly having mental blockages right now, we gotta see him out just as that press reliever, if not anything else. I do hope the decision making when driving returns to form though 

edit: also agree on the Jabari part, the one massive disparity between this team and the 2019 one (from a guard POV) is that those guys would always ensure the Chumas, DPs, Wileys, the big guys were engaged. UGA especially, they just could ignore Jabari for almost an entire half because our ball handlers were content trying to save the sinking ship all by themselves. Not a winning formula 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby