How Do We Investigate The "Power Brokers"

aucanucktiger

46 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So if there is truth to the complaints (at a minimum alleged by valid ppl), you can't be mad at the media and twitter talking about it.

Correct. I am not mad at either side. I am just ready for something to be done.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Please tell us again about the wife, daughters and sister in law twittter, insta, FB posting.  Nothing ridiculous about stallking them and bringing all that garbage on this board.  That's exactly why I went double platinum.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not the one designating the football board as "going full retard".  Yeah, youre the sane one.....

Oh wow now I’m stalking….I didn’t realize you were with me 24/7 and knew everything I was doing. 

I have no idea about facebook and twitter.  I follow Kes Harsin on Insta…as she is the coach’s wife, and I was interested in following them.  I enjoy what she posts. I also follow Bryan Harsin, along with 38k other people.  Not that it is any of you business, but there you are. 

Maybe you should talk to Hoke, ESPN, Barrett Salle, and a host of other sport writers who are the ones actually posting the things they are saying on social media which gives it mass awareness because guess what, its the hot news story of the week….you do realize how social media works right? 

And thanks for driving my point home….this side has gone full off the cliff crazy.  You are a prime example of that.  

2 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

you do realize how social media works right? 

I really, seriously, have way better things to do than social media, but I'm sure there's nothing but enlightenment and brilliance there.  Not on any of it, never will be.

To answer your question, you don't. "Power Brokers" is a nebulous group as there is no official association of "Power Brokers" to investigate. I guess it is possible to "investigate" certain individuals. However, not sure WHO would have jurisdiction or what rules or laws they broke.

The University actively and constantly solicits donations from these people, they can't then turn around and punish them for wanting to have a say in what the University does with their millions. If you want to end their influence, simply stop taking their money.

Now, if these people maliciously defame someone, they could be liable for damages in civil court, but it would be up to the aggrieved party to bring and prove those charges.

This is all a part of a much larger problem in that college football is no longer amateur athletics, instead it is a big time player in the billion dollar sports entertainment industry. The Universities and conferences sold their souls to greed and the almighty dollar and now they are paying the price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Come again?  Davis wasn't hired and didn't resign then....?  Zak Hill was never nixed by Rich McGlynn....?  Got it, that all squares perfectly.

What in the hell are you talking about, or even responding to?

It has been reported that Harsin inquired about an OC salary approval before he went on vacation. You understand that we still have no OC, correct? This was most likely to promote Eric Kiseau and name him the OC. This was DENIED.

The only reason why you would deny that, is if you didn't want the HC to be adding any more coaching salary commitments....because you're not even certain that he's going to be your HC next season.

When this was denied, Harsin immediately tried to set up a meeting with people above Alan Greene. This was also apparently denied. Bryan Harsin isn't stupid; I'm sure he realized at that very point that they were looking into things. Hence why he'd try to book a meeting.

Then he went on vacation.

Then rumors started circulating.

What in the hell does Zak Hill or Austin Davis have to do with anything? 

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

Again, establishing the timeline.  Harsin was in Mobile until Wednesday of last week.  They, Hill and Davis (Davis resigned January 31st) were in play prior to that.  The "investigation" was obviously triggered on the second signing day (February 2nd) and not before.  You stated that the University had begun the investigation well before last week.

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, metafour said:

What in the hell are you talking about, or even responding to?

It has been reported that Harsin inquired about an OC salary approval before he went on vacation. You understand that we still have no OC, correct? This was most likely to promote Eric Kiseau and name him the OC. This was DENIED.

The only reason why you would deny that, is if you didn't want the HC to be adding any more coaching salary commitments....because you're not even certain that he's going to be your HC next season.

When this was denied, Harsin immediately tried to set up a meeting with people above Alan Greene. This was also apparently denied. Bryan Harsin isn't stupid; I'm sure he realized at that very point that they were looking into things. Hence why he'd try to book a meeting.

Then he went on vacation.

Then rumors started circulating.

Meta... u think AU is gonna refuse to let Harsin hire an OC, by not approving a Salary? How bout if Zach Leaves?. May just be the Boise boys on the field come this fall..

10 hours ago, metafour said:

What started this was complaints made to the university by players and staff members. Nothing else. The university rightfully investigated those complaints.

From what I can tell what started this is the exit of Gus and the lack of agreement on the BOT and boosters. Harsins failures have empowered those that were against his hire in the first place to throw gas on the already existing fire.  Now the house is burning and Harsin isn’t leaving it. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

The optics of this mess is harming the university almost more than any misstep a football coach could have made. Exactly what GROUP started this cluster without an apparent plan or timeline? The anti Steele movement proved grass roots Auburn folk have clout in unity and the bottom line is it's OUR University. Shine the spotlight back on these arrogant "Powers That Be".

If you want to NOT have a program at all, this is a GREAT way to not have a program. You won't have to worry about what coach won't touch AU any more, because no megadonor would touch AU any more, and without them, there are NO coach's salaries & buyouts, state of the art new facilities, or NIL. Or program. NAIA here we come......recruit off the intramural fields. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

If you want to NOT have a program at all, this is a GREAT way to not have a program. You won't have to worry about what coach won't touch AU any more, because no megadonor would touch AU any more, and without them, there are NO coach's salaries & buyouts, state of the art new facilities, or NIL. Or program. NAIA here we come......recruit off the intramural fields. 

There are a lot of things that matter more than football and integrity is at the top of the list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Meta... u think AU is gonna refuse to let Harsin hire an OC, by not approving a Salary? How bout if Zach Leaves?. May just be the Boise boys on the field come this fall..

I don’t think they do that. The optics of that is much worse. I believe if they don’t fire him, he will get an amount to replace Davis (may be reduced due to impact from paying off Bobo). Would also get full budget for DB coach if he leaves as he will have to pay to leave.

I think they give him a lot of rope to hang himself OR show the world he's the man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

I think they give him a lot of rope to hang himself OR show the world he's the man. 

Isn't that the definition of an SEC head coach these days?

• Like 1

The problem is we are still discussing the PTB after going through this in the not too distant past. AU got as close as a school can get to losing its accreditation because of influences and money issues within the athletics program. 

I appreciate every dime donated to support the programs. It needs to be clear your donation gets you nothing more than maybe great seats and a name on a building. 

Edited by RHN1975

12 hours ago, rockfordpi said:

The University actively and constantly solicits donations from these people, they can't then turn around and punish them for wanting to have a say in what the University does with their millions.

But they can. If these big money donors truly love AU they would be fine with that. AU was placed on academic probation with the risk of losing accreditation for giving these people too much influence. It had nothing to do with the failure to provide a quality education. It was 100% related to the sports program.

Man, Auburn faithful are eating there own in this thread.  But yet again, the optics from the outside is that this a three-ring circus with the main attraction being a large dumpster that is burning in the main arena. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pat Fossum said:

There are a lot of things that matter more than football and integrity is at the top of the list.

Personally, I'd be all for moving to a far more restricted athletics model along the lines of DIII or NAIA, or perhaps the Ivy League. That's where you get at least a degree of integrity back into the equation. Investigating donors is a good way to get us there fast. So if we're going to do it, I would be in favor only if we're going full scorched earth and changing the athletics model. Anything less will result in AU being a DI doormat for a decade or more. 

20 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

The optics of this mess is harming the university almost more than any misstep a football coach could have made. Exactly what GROUP started this cluster without an apparent plan or timeline? The anti Steele movement proved grass roots Auburn folk have clout in unity and the bottom line is it's OUR University. Shine the spotlight back on these arrogant "Powers That Be".

Just an honest question but why would the PTB, who give and/or invest big bucks into the university, and profit (not monetarily) in the GOOD name and perception of Auburn, start, execute, and propagate such a cluster?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

But they can. If these big money donors truly love AU they would be fine with that. AU was placed on academic probation with the risk of losing accreditation for giving these people too much influence. It had nothing to do with the failure to provide a quality education. It was 100% related to the sports program.

At the beginning I believed the money guys was behind this but I am not so sure after further thought.  To me if the money guys were behind this he would have been gone.  The first stage of the investigation would have been to try and fire him for cause.  From what I read in the statement from Auburn this part of the investigation didn't seem to last to long.  The second phase was to investigate and fire paying the buyout or retain.  To me I would have thought the money guys going in would have the money raised and committed and he would have been fired.  However, the fact that he was retained might be an indication that money guys weren't involved.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

First you have to name them and prove involvement. It doesn't appear that any "power brokers" had anything to do with this fiasco. Multi-millionaires would have handled the situation much, much better and AU would be hiring a new coach even as we speak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

First you have to name them and prove involvement. It doesn't appear that any "power brokers" had anything to do with this fiasco. Multi-millionaires would have handled the situation much, much better and AU would be hiring a new coach even as we speak.

Oh, they absolutely did.  Everybody claiming to be an insider has either alluded to that being the case, or outright made that statement.  In fact, THE (insider) MAN, as many on this board believe, is now saying "They're done".  I take that to mean they didn't get their way so they're quitting the game.

Edited by PowerOfDixieland

13 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Oh, they absolutely did.  Everybody claiming to be an insider has either alluded to that being the case, or outright made that statement.  In fact, THE (insider) MAN, as many on this board believe, is now saying "They're done".  I take that to mean they didn't get their way so they're quitting the game.

Who are "they"? If the mysterious "they" had as much ill will towards Harsin as some claim, Harsin would be gone. I do think "they" have the power, but were they at the bottom of this they wouldn't have failed.

As far as insiders, would that be the same people who were telling us days ago that Harsin would be gone in 48 hours?

Edited by Mikey