Keeping Harsin

DyeCampAlum

Multiple sources, including Chris Low, say Auburn is keeping Harsin and will announce today.

Honestly, I'm a little bit relieved. It's obvious to me that he needs to do better in some key parts of the job. I hope that's being addressed, and I hope it works. Enormous damage has been done, and I'm not sure it can be healed. I'm pretty sure the administration has done no favors in its PR work lately.

At the same time, legitimate concerns arose that had to be addressed. You can't lose coaches and players the way we have, with racial undertones and with our inadequate recruiting, without digging around for perspective and calling the coach on the carpet. I have no idea about the other allegations, whether the administration took them seriously, investigated them, or whatever. But I'm glad they seem to be resolved.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Harsin gets the help he needs, accepts it, and gives Auburn the help it needs?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

I'm numb to Auburn Football. We are the Vandy of the SEC West.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Multiple sources, including Chris Low, say Auburn is keeping Harsin and will announce today.

Honestly, I'm a little bit relieved. It's obvious to me that he needs to do better in some key parts of the job. I hope that's being addressed, and I hope it works. Enormous damage has been done, and I'm not sure it can be healed. I'm pretty sure the administration has done no favors in its PR work lately.

At the same time, legitimate concerns arose that had to be addressed. You can't lose coaches and players the way we have, with racial undertones and with our inadequate recruiting, without digging around for perspective and calling the coach on the carpet. I have no idea about the other allegations, whether the administration took them seriously, investigated them, or whatever. But I'm glad they seem to be resolved.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Harsin gets the help he needs, accepts it, and gives Auburn the help it needs?

As we all know as time pass things tend to dissolve. If he wins games this will be ancient history. If he doesn’t this will be revisited

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

As we all know as time pass things tend to dissolve. If he wins games this will be ancient history. If he doesn’t this will be revisited

Agreed but they also have to give him what he needs to be successful and I’m not sure they are going to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChrisH said:

Agreed but they also have to give him what he needs to be successful and I’m not sure they are going to. 

He won't use it....he's the man.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gotta hope that Harsin wakes up to the problems he has and does something to address them. If we continue to bleed players, recruits, and coaches then he will fail. If that changes then he has a chance to be successful. Very simple. 

Auburn & Harsin can come out together and put out a strong statement that the investigation was valid & it found nothing.  These types of things need to be looked into & we're glad nothing was found.

It shouldn't be too difficult to move on from this.  I know everyone is wrapped up in this, but with the Olympics & the super bowl & spring coming up, this will get washed away quickly.

The next steps is how they can move forward together.  Harsin has to change.  He can't keep the status quo.  Recruiting isn't good.  The Portal isn't good.  His relations with High School coaches isn't good & it's probably down right terrible in the state of Georgia.  He needs to understand what is expected of him, maybe he didn't know...but he needs to listen to people that do know and want to help him out.

I still think he's a good coach, but apparently he's got a long way to go on the personal/relationship side of things.  Can't lose 40 players over 2 years and multiple coaches every offseason taking lateral or lower jobs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Auburn & Harsin can come out together and put out a strong statement that the investigation was valid & it found nothing.  These types of things need to be looked into & we're glad nothing was found.

It shouldn't be too difficult to move on from this.  I know everyone is wrapped up in this, but with the Olympics & the super bowl & spring coming up, this will get washed away quickly.

The next steps is how they can move forward together.  Harsin has to change.  He can't keep the status quo.  Recruiting isn't good.  The Portal isn't good.  His relations with High School coaches isn't good & it's probably down right terrible in the state of Georgia.  He needs to understand what is expected of him, maybe he didn't know...but he needs to listen to people that do know and want to help him out.

I still think he's a good coach, but apparently he's got a long way to go on the personal/relationship side of things.  Can't lose 40 players over 2 years and multiple coaches every offseason taking lateral or lower jobs.

If things keep going the way they have, how long does he last?

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

My gut tells me he will not change.

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If things keep going the way they have, how long does he last?

It's going to be pretty interesting to see what happens in the State of Alabama.  This is an absolutely loaded class.  He's already behind the 8 ball and didn't help himself one bit getting kids here for our Jr Day.

I'm not sure if he can purely coach himself out of this hole & not sure there will be enough talent this spring to add 9-10 more guys to this roster that can contribute in '22

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's going to be pretty interesting to see what happens in the State of Alabama.  This is an absolutely loaded class.  He's already behind the 8 ball and didn't help himself one bit getting kids here for our Jr Day.

I'm not sure if he can purely coach himself out of this hole & not sure there will be enough talent this spring to add 9-10 more guys to this roster that can contribute in '22

Yeah. And if this season goes the way it’s currently looking, you think he sees a third year?

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah. And if this season goes the way it’s currently looking, you think he sees a third year?

idk.  It's got to be really really bad.  He'll still be owed 15mm

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Well, all those Covid seniors could MAYBE get us to a bowl. But year 3…oh boy. $11.34M by then.

So now that this is “resolved,” can someone please tell us where this investigation came from? As in, who started it?

Edited by AUwent

So @W.E.D in your estimation did this mostly come down to money? That basically money folks/administrators were hoping that something would be found to not pay the buyout?  Because it seems like he's generally not liked and there's alignment that success will be highly unlikely. It had seemed like the consensus was he was "out" and now he's not. You seemed to have your finger on the pulse, in your mind did this come down to not wanting to pay buyout money? 

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

LSU, FSU, Clemson, etc are all licking their chops

3 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

So @W.E.D in your estimation did this mostly come down to money? That basically money folks/administrators were hoping that something would be found to not pay the buyout?  Because it seems like he's generally not liked and there's alignment that success will be highly unlikely. It had seemed like the consensus was he was "out" and now he's not. You seemed to have your finger on the pulse, in your mind did this come down to not wanting to pay buyout money? 

If that’s what happened, we have effectively killed ourselves for a decade.

If on the other hand, this all came from say Mason and we basically had to investigate,  I feel much better.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

This is my view

• Harsin is really abrasive.  There are a lot of ppl that don't like him & some didn't want him to begin with.
  • There were legit complaints against him that needed to be investigated.
  • The ppl that disliked him were excited about this & were more than willing to have him fired if proven
  • It couldn't be proven & they don't want to drop another 18mm plus staff.

Unless next year is a disaster, I don't think he's going anywhere.  If it's late October and we just dropped 5 straight to PSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, LSU, & UGA...AND have a disaster of a recruiting class I could see that drum start beating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is my view

• Harsin is really abrasive.  There are a lot of ppl that don't like him & some didn't want him to begin with.
  • There were legit complaints against him that needed to be investigated.
  • The ppl that disliked him were excited about this & were more than willing to have him fired if proven
  • It couldn't be proven & they don't want to drop another 18mm plus staff.

Unless next year is a disaster, I don't think he's going anywhere.  If it's late October and we just dropped 5 straight to PSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, LSU, & UGA...AND have a disaster of a recruiting class I could see that drum start beating.

Thank you for the response. This is useful.