It's done. He's staying

TitanTiger

4 minutes ago, McFU said:

Not all of us are depressed and miserable.  Some of us actually feel the opposite because Harsin had the balls to call their bluff and still wants to be here after all of the mess that happened in the last week.

I don't know if he will be successful or not but I'm of the opinion that the remaining players and anyone else he brings in will have a chip on their shoulder and want to prove people wrong.  I think that mindset goes a long way in an athlete's performance on the field.

I would much rather build a foundation of a football team with 3*'s that play sound fundamental football than 4 and 5*s who either are used in the incorrect role/position and/or not disciplined enough to not take stupid penalties (plenty of examples of this from the previous staff).  Yeah this approach will not yield a championship right away but it should produce some consistency that can attract 4 and 5*s willing to play by Harsin's rules.

The closest thing that comes to mind as an example of my point is the USA Men's ice hockey team from 1980. Definitely not the best players, hard ass coach, and playing for big stakes.  And before people go and try to say I'm comparing the end results of that team to what will happen next football season let me stop you right there.  I'm strictly talking about the mindset, type of player that can handle said mindset, and the sound fundamental performance it can produce.

So, be like Vanderbilt? I think that would get old real quick.

• Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

Did anyone hear Harsin dad on Finebum? He basically said CBH don’t go after stars he goes only goes after players who show interest and want to come to Auburn.. that won’t work here.. you still have to try to recruit greatest talent available to compete in the SEC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McFU said:

Not all of us are depressed and miserable.  Some of us actually feel the opposite because Harsin had the balls to call their bluff and still wants to be here after all of the mess that happened in the last week.

I don't know if he will be successful or not but I'm of the opinion that the remaining players and anyone else he brings in will have a chip on their shoulder and want to prove people wrong.  I think that mindset goes a long way in an athlete's performance on the field.

I would much rather build a foundation of a football team with 3*'s that play sound fundamental football than 4 and 5*s who either are used in the incorrect role/position and/or not disciplined enough to not take stupid penalties (plenty of examples of this from the previous staff).  Yeah this approach will not yield a championship right away but it should produce some consistency that can attract 4 and 5*s willing to play by Harsin's rules.

The closest thing that comes to mind as an example of my point is the USA Men's ice hockey team from 1980. Definitely not the best players, hard ass coach, and playing for big stakes.  And before people go and try to say I'm comparing the end results of that team to what will happen next football season let me stop you right there.  I'm strictly talking about the mindset, type of player that can handle said mindset, and the sound fundamental performance it can produce.

Dale from Boise?

• Haha 3

ANOTHER SAD DAY FOR AUBURN.   Im 64 years old and proud that I lived long enough to see an AU  NC in person.   There will never be another in my lifetime.  Auburn let an AD that had no clue hire a coach unprepared for this job.  Bad as I hate it....

JABA

• Thanks 1

Just a quick glance at the schedule; 2-5 or 3-4 looks likely heading into the bye week.  5 wins might be the ceiling, and honestly staying home is preferable to back to back B'ham bowls.

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I knew we shouldn’t have fired Gus.  Hold on to him one more year and hire Cristobal to go 8-5 with a roster of 5* recruits would have been the way.

I’d rather go 8-5 with 5* than 6-7 with 3*. At least with the former you have some sense of hope.

• Like 3

Just now, murpjf88 said:

So, be like Vanderbilt? I think that would get old real quick.

It may be like for a couple of years as the new culture takes root but I also think the appeal of Auburn is a lot better than most places and will attract a lot of higher start players that will fit the new culture.

One thing people seem to forget is that the Transfer Portal is still fairly new and other schools lose a lot of players too.  I mean look at KD Johnson on the basketball team...he came from UGA.

Isn't it possible that good to great football players from other schools would transfer here because:

1) We now run a style of football that translates to the NFL

2) Would be starters as opposed to backups

Don't misunderstand me and think that I'm 100% certain this works out.  I just think it is possible with the right mindset which I think the coach has.  The main thing for me is if Harsin adapts to the recruiting part of the job.  I think he expected more of that to fall on the coordinators than him which is why he hired Bobo and Mason (mainly for their recruiting ability).  It is obvious the X's and O's part didn't work between them.  So if Harsin learns that he needs to attend all the events, try to connect a little bit with more players/recruits, then I think the future is there.  I mean even Saban eventually let go of the idea of a great defense and game manager QB, so anything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

What have we learned from this? 

Alan Greene should never be allowed to make decisions about Auburn Athletics EVER again.

Ever. 

Ever. 

Ever. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

So why are we just kicking the damn can down the street till fall, this doesn't make any sense too me, but it's Auburn so JABA. 

Gives them more time to plant evidence for cause. 

• Haha 2

Just now, AEAugirl said:

What have we learned from this? 

Alan Greene should never be allowed to make decisions about Auburn Athletics EVER again.

Ever. 

Ever. 

Ever. 

I think we've learned that the PTB aren't running the athletic department.

I want the players and Auburn to succeed, and wish them the best, but this is such a cluster. I have not liked this hire from day 1--I am new, so please don't skewer me for suddenly declaring this. I get culture change, blah blah, but the ego and straight up narcissism is just the same side of the coin alongside the PTB. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AUnMS said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad that we have a coach that has the stones to stand up to the PTB.  Our coach won this pissing contest!  If he can beat our "good ole boys" maybe he can get our team into shape and beat the real opponents.

Got to recruit to do that.

After a 5 win season this year, we’ll be back here again next year.

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Gives them more time to plant evidence for cause. 

"Bryan. Hey, I'm trying to calibrate this new camera. Just need you a second. Can you stand over here? Great. Now, just hold this bloody glove for me a second so I can hold the camera steady."

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, McFU said:

One thing people seem to forget is that the Transfer Portal is still fairly new and other schools lose a lot of players too.  I mean look at KD Johnson on the basketball team...he came from UGA.

Sure, but he arrived to a winning team and not a team falling apart and all this ish happening. 

1 minute ago, MagnoliaGoldie said:

Sure, but he arrived to a winning team and not a team falling apart and all this ish happening. 

A winning team for that year sure, let us not forget that GM hadn't recruited for the OL for a couple of years and was going to be an issue whether he stayed or not.

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

Got to recruit to do that.

After a 5 win season this year, we’ll be back here again next year.

You are absolutely correct and he hasn't recruited to the level that most of us expect or approve of.  As to the lack of wins last season, there are causes of his and of others.

For years we have gnashed our teeth and rent our clothes over the interference that the power brokers have had in the program.  This is a step in the right direction there.

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Harsin needs someone who he trusts to tell him how to recruit the southeast and how to navigate the NIL landscape. If that doesn’t happen, we will be mid to late 70’s bad. 

Hell, recruit the state of Alabama NOW and offer huge NIL deals.  Alabama has the best crop of recruits that it's ever produced.  Five 5*'s and 15 4*'s right now with 5 of the top 23 & 11 of the top 93 in the country.  

The fact that Auburn just neutered their HC when this state has an abundance of talent is messed up on all fronts.  AU eff's this up and makes Harsin's job ten times more difficult for in-state recruits. SMDH

• Like 1