Zeek...

AUght2win

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

I don't see how we will be able to recruit. Even Auburn fans know that Auburn administration will finish off the firing of Harsin as soon as they can do it without it costing too  much money.

$18M now, or $18M later. If you think he's only going to further damage the football program, then you're doing no one and not even yourself a favor by delaying. They've got no leverage on Harsin to lessen the blow. It's just more stupid meddling from the PTB.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Don't worry man. Some other posters told me we will get many recruits because of the, uh, size of Harsin's balls.  I'm assured they are very impressive, though I have not seen them myself.

Geez man, keep up. I already posted this in the new AD thread.

monkey.jpg

Transfer portal and JUCO. That’s their best shot. It’s a crap shoot but it’s the only option right now. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:30 AM, GwillMac6 said:

We are already at the point SEVERAL YEARS in advance from the last coaching regime where we cannot hire a splashy big time proven coordinator because every coach knows this staff most likely is gone very very soon. Probaly within a year and is on borrowed time. So no one is going to come leave a great situation to jump in to  this s*** show. The same reason why our recruiting will be severely undercut is the same reason why no big name coordinators or even position coaches will come here. It is no shock the last 2 assistant coaching hires we had in Christian Robinson and Jimmy Brumbaugh were unemployed in C Rob's case when Napier did not retain him or just a analyst in Brumbaughs case.........

A lame duck HC could mean a fast track route to a HC position for a good coordinator if they are paying attention.  Our last HCs were not far removed from coordinator positions here. And supposedly the DC was all but hired this last time around.

🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Transfer portal and JUCO. That’s their best shot. It’s a crap shoot but it’s the only option right now. 

The JUCO ranks have already been picked through. For example, AU signed three JUCO guys earlier and I suppose other schools did about the same.

There are and will be plenty more transfer players available. The question is, how many of those can help us? With the better ones already signed, will one in 50 of those remaining be an asset to AU?

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, Zeek said:

Here we are not willing to pay a buyout for a coach the PTB obviously don't want and a culture (as coworkers) that is so bad we have a DC leaving for the same position at a lesser program for $400k less. There are some serious and deep issues for both the football program and administration/boosters.

We have to be competitive in the NIL market to get over this hump. The BEST thing the "PTB"and Boosters could do is put their funds and energy toward creating a 1st class NIL programt right now, not later. They'll have their hands full just doing that and getting the coach some quality players. You would be surprised what that would do in signing us some good recruits. Let the coaches coach and the recruiters recruit while they feed the program players. Pull in one direction for crying out loud. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Recruiting budget aside, how in the hell does our numerous recruiting staff not know when our cross-state rival has their Junior Day? It seems like a lack of awareness with that coupled with this whole drama with Harsin has thrown away a major chance to get a lot of highly rated local prospects.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AUlurker said:

Recruiting budget aside, how in the hell does our numerous recruiting staff not know when our cross-state rival has their Junior Day? It seems like a lack of awareness with that coupled with this whole drama with Harsin has thrown away a major chance to get a lot of highly rated local prospects.

The current talent pool in this state is higher than it's ever been and I'll be damned if the entire country didn't just watch total dysfunction and turmoil within our own program broadcast for all to see.

We aren't pulling any of the (FIVE) 5*'s and will be hard press to pull any of the 15 4*'s the State had to offer.  

• Facepalm 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:12 PM, Hank2020 said:

I don’t think it’s the pinnacle but he certainly has to succeed or his career is done as HC.

That’s a stretch. His bio will probably have an asterisk by his time at Auburn.  Then when potential suitors look, theywill say that Auburn was a dumpster fire and he gets a mulligan.  😂

Edited by Tntigers

On 2/13/2022 at 9:30 AM, Mikey said:

The JUCO ranks have already been picked through. For example, AU signed three JUCO guys earlier and I suppose other schools did about the same.

There are and will be plenty more transfer players available. The question is, how many of those can help us? With the better ones already signed, will one in 50 of those remaining be an asset to AU?

And of those possible transfers are on the offense side of the ball and can only come in the summer, but only start to scrimmage in the fall, how many of them will pick up Harin's offense?

Harsin we know is a stickler for knowing all your roles on the field. So a WR or 2 coming in, you expect them to pick up the offense in what a few weeks before our first game? Better hope they are a vet WR who is good and picking stuff up fast.

What about OL? it takes time to jell an OL. Now I know if all stays the same our OL will be the vets from last year, so anyone new will be a backup, unless they are better than someone on our existing OL.

It will just be harder to get new transfers to sync with the offense or defense. 

On 2/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, Zeek said:

They have broken my sunshine pump. Only thing that saves us is a very good season and a smart OC hire.

Even though the OC hire will be just a QB coach? I don't see Harsin going after another true OC when he didn't do it with the Davis hire.

Harsin i going to call the plays. the OC will just be a figure head outside of getting ZC ready for the first game...

53 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And of those possible transfers are on the offense side of the ball and can only come in the summer, but only start to scrimmage in the fall, how many of them will pick up Harin's offense?

Harsin we know is a stickler for knowing all your roles on the field. So a WR or 2 coming in, you expect them to pick up the offense in what a few weeks before our first game? Better hope they are a vet WR who is good and picking stuff up fast.

What about OL? it takes time to jell an OL. Now I know if all stays the same our OL will be the vets from last year, so anyone new will be a backup, unless they are better than someone on our existing OL.

It will just be harder to get new transfers to sync with the offense or defense. 

For an OL to come in an contribute it'll be like the kid from LSU last year that got booted in the summer, then went to Kentucky and started for them.

But the vast majority of kids that are going to transfers post spring are ones who aren't starting and have fallen down the depth chart.  We need to find OL that are 2nd or 3rd year players & that can come in and then look to start in 23 or maybe mid season.  As much as I don't want most of they guys who started last year to start in '22, it's pretty much all but determined at this point.

We've got 10 spots to fill.  I'd honestly be surprised if we got 5 contributors (over their careers) out of that 10 and we'll probably be looking at 2-3 contributors in '22.  Unfortunately we missed the boat in December & January.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

But the vast majority of kids that are going to transfers post spring are ones who aren't starting and have fallen down the depth chart.  We need to find OL that are 2nd or 3rd year players & that can come in and then look to start in 23 or maybe mid season.  As much as I don't want most of they guys who started last year to start in '22, it's pretty much all but determined at this point.

My thoughts exactly. Any transfers will be for depth and the future, especially on the O-line. We could get lucky on a WR that could be a deep threat. Just have to learn the fly/9 route like Coates.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, Zeek said:

It was released recently that we spent less than $1m in recruiting this last cycle while the average in the SEC was $1.5m and even the ACC's average eclipsed $1.1m

The more coming out about Harsin and his hired personnel botching the Junior Day and similar events isn't promising. Auburn relies heavily on these in person visits being spectacular. We can't point to recent success, NFL draft success, consistency, or anything along those lines so we really count on the town and university to sell itself coupled with relationships.

Now the whole world knows our dirty laundry and both sides have lobbed little grenades at each other publicly.

There is a reason I haven't and won't be posting much. This is an absolute nightmare of a situation to be quite blunt and now things are worse. For the record I didn't want Harsin gone originally (now I'm conflicted because I don't know what is true and what isn't). But once the university went down this path they should have been willing to pull the trigger regardless of whether or not we would be stuck with a buyout.

Here we are not willing to pay a buyout for a coach the PTB obviously don't want and a culture (as coworkers) that is so bad we have a DC leaving for the same position at a lesser program for $400k less. There are some serious and deep issues for both the football program and administration/boosters.

Short answer; enjoy almost any other sport at Auburn.

Just out of curiosity what have we spent in years past, and where are we in the SEC in spending for recruiting.  I am guessing we are in the bottom 4 in the SEC with that number and have spent more than that in years past. 

28 minutes ago, AuburnTaco said:

Just out of curiosity what have we spent in years past, and where are we in the SEC in spending for recruiting.  I am guessing we are in the bottom 4 in the SEC with that number and have spent more than that in years past. 

Gus came in low too. Auburn has not been spending like others for a minute now (way behind on the Football Only Facility, locker room renovation cut corners, and recruiting department has been too small for too long). We have been fortunate to recruit as well as we have.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Gus came in low too. Auburn has not been spending like others for a minute now (way behind on the Football Only Facility, locker room renovation cut corners, and recruiting department has been too small for too long). We have been fortunate to recruit as well as we have.

This is hard to hear. It should be the total opposite. When we are down we should be spending it to try and catch up. We scream and argue on here about recruiting and performance on the field. I sometimes feel like the people on this forum have higher expectations than our own AD. Is that crazy to say based on the numbers just posted? We will throw millions to get rid of a coach we don’t like but we won’t spend it to try to get players to win football games? It doesn’t make senses to me. I also understand the money that’s used to fire a coach is coming from a different pool than recruiting money. Someone help me understand why for years we have not been spending money to keep up with the Jones’s.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wcware said:

This is hard to hear. It should be the total opposite. When we are down we should be spending it to try and catch up. We scream and argue on here about recruiting and performance on the field. I sometimes feel like the people on this forum have higher expectations than our own AD. Is that crazy to say based on the numbers just posted? We will throw millions to get rid of a coach we don’t like but we won’t spend it to try to get players to win football games? It doesn’t make senses to me. I also understand the money that’s used to fire a coach is coming from a different pool than recruiting money. Someone help me understand why for years we have not been spending money to keep up with the Jones’s.

I think the data would suggest whoever determines the recruiting budget and whoever manages project pipeline are both fine with where we are relative to football. They obviously see no need to keep pace with the leaders. I would also suggest that in today’s recruiting world it will be much more about NIL packages and “fit” into the existing systems. The recruiting is getting much better in identifying those things for the individuals being recruited. No longer being managed by parents or coaches as it used to be ( for higher ranked players anyway).

So was junior day, The weekend of the UK game?  If so, I would have been more concerned if we didn’t have a big weekend scheduled for then. With the thought that if we miss. We can have another event for one of the other weekend basketball games. This past weekend with game day here would have been a good one. But instead we are having meetings about if we should keep current coach or not. So just a previous poster stated.  Nothing changes until we all pull in the same direction!!

I’ll never forget reading about when Saban was hired at bama. Although I can’t remember the name of the book that I read it in. Lol. It was about college football. Like the good, bad, and ugly of College football. Regardless, in said book, when Saban and the athletic director arrived in Tuscaloosa. Before the A.D. stepped off the plane he told Saban that he didn’t think they would let him back in Tuscaloosa unless he had Saban on the plane with him. Saban’s reply was “now just go get me some players!!!”  That quote has always stuck with me. Like why would Saban tell his a.d. to go get him some players. Well, now that quote is starting to make more sense!!  And until AU has everybody pulling in the same direction nothing will change. The only thing that will change is who gets the blame. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TXaubie said:

So was junior day, The weekend of the UK game?  If so, I would have been more concerned if we didn’t have a big weekend scheduled for then. With the thought that if we miss. We can have another event for one of the other weekend basketball games. This past weekend with game day here would have been a good one. But instead we are having meetings about if we should keep current coach or not. So just a previous poster stated.  Nothing changes until we all pull in the same direction!!

I’ll never forget reading about when Saban was hired at bama. Although I can’t remember the name of the book that I read it in. Lol. It was about college football. Like the good, bad, and ugly of College football. Regardless, in said book, when Saban and the athletic director arrived in Tuscaloosa. Before the A.D. stepped off the plane he told Saban that he didn’t think they would let him back in Tuscaloosa unless he had Saban on the plane with him. Saban’s reply was “now just go get me some players!!!”  That quote has always stuck with me. Like why would Saban tell his a.d. to go get him some players. Well, now that quote is starting to make more sense!!  And until AU has everybody pulling in the same direction nothing will change. The only thing that will change is who gets the blame. 

BINGO!!!!!!! What was so freaking hard to figure out? UT has an organization to funnel NIL money to players, like 10 or 12 schools nationally that are doing the same. (Hello Jimbo). AU PTB and fans are too busy trying to knife each other to actually realize that Saban knew wth he was talking about. Saban has evolved at this point, and his recruiting did too. But it's a different world now, and WE can do what he got the Red Elephant Club to do then. Where is the link for all the working man fans to contribute 6-50 dollars a week to buy, excuse me, set up an NIL for players? UF has it. UT has one. Texas A&M? Where is ours? Pouting? Hell, 10 dollars a month from 500 AU fans is real money. Where's our organization? UAT? Nevermind. Everyone says this guy can coach. If Harsin needs players, and you've got money, it's never been easier, or more legal. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Who is not getting it? Why is mediocrity /9 acceptable at Auburn? We are pathetic. 

3 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Who is not getting it? Why is mediocrity /9 acceptable at Auburn? We are pathetic. 

I believe a former Auburn University president said an 8 win season was the perfect outcome for the football team. Because, basically it kept the boosters satisfied and kept the football coach from becoming too powerful. It may have been Gogue or maybe Philpott, my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I'm sure some others here remember that though.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:
9 hours ago, TXaubie said:

BINGO!!!!!!! What was so freaking hard to figure out? UT has an organization to funnel NIL money to players, like 10 or 12 schools nationally that are doing the same.

What makes you think Auburn isn't offering NIL money too? It's been suggested that AU boosters ponied up $ one million for the Oklahoma QB but we got out-bid by SoCal. Tank and Pappoe are getting nice packages to stay on. I suspect that many of those senior linemen who elected to return for another year are also getting the pot sweetened.

1 hour ago, aublaise said:

Any know if Nix lost his Milo Tea deal when he left for the Ducks?

It won't matter much. His Nike shoe deal at Oregon will be many times bigger.

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I believe a former Auburn University president said an 8 win season was the perfect outcome for the football team. Because, basically it kept the boosters satisfied and kept the football coach from becoming too powerful. It may have been Gogue or maybe Philpott, my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I'm sure some others here remember that though.

Nice. There is only about 40 years between Philpott being president and Gogue being president. If Philpott said it, we only played 10 games per year. 80% win percentage. If Gogue said it, we play 12 per year and a 66% win percentage.

• Thanks 1