Tourney Strategy

Butthead

So, assuming we wrap up the SEC season title (yeah, I know we are not there yet, I said assume), does Pearl go all out to win the SEC tourney, or does he limit minutes and rest the team for the NCAA?

25 minutes ago, Butthead said:

So, assuming we wrap up the SEC season title (yeah, I know we are not there yet, I said assume), does Pearl go all out to win the SEC tourney, or does he limit minutes and rest the team for the NCAA?

At this point it’s highly likely we get a double bye in the SEC tournament, so three games to win the tournament title. I suspect you’ll see Bruce play the same rotation we’ve seen lately. You get several days off prior to the first round of the NCAA tournament - at the least three. The conference tournament will be big for seeding. For example, if everything stays relatively similar through the end of the regular season, an Auburn loss in the SEC’s and a UK title means they likely get a #1 seed and we are on the #2 line. 

A lot of moving pieces to sort out, but it’s also possible UK and Auburn are both on the one line. Several bracket predictions out today have that scenario. 

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The run through the tourney, beating Tennessee big in the final propelled us all the way through the NCAA tourney in 2019. Get hot on a roll and it will be tough to stop that freight train. 

I agree with others that i don't see any big chances from our rotations prior to the NCAA or SEC tourney. At least not unless someone gets hurt of course. We've already shortened our rotations and i don't expect that to be shortened any further. I think the goal is to play your best basketball in the SEC tourney and carry that over to the NCAA. If that gets you the title great....if not oh well. 

The results of the SEC tourney will have little to no effect on seeding. A team on the bubble could get in if they get a few big wins....and of course if a team not in the field wins it then that can screw up some bubble teams. But other than that no impact. In fact the SEC tourney last game i think is on selection Sunday or the day before.....anyway most of the seeding is set prior to the SEC final tourney game being player. When AU went on a run and won the thing back in 2019 it did nothing to help our seeding. So its a nice to have to win the thing but i don't think we'll do anything out of the ordinary to try and win the thing. 

"Oh well"?  Loser mantra.

2019 Final Four...Virginia* double dribbled.

4 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Go all out and hang another banner. Bruce isnt really one to take it easy. And as was stated before, the SEC tourney could end up determining the #1 overall. 

^^^

Bruce ain’t gonna let up.  We want the banner.   And we may need the tourney to keep a #1 seed or possibly the #1 overall.  

Watching how other conferences' refs officiated Walker-style big men this season, I think non-SEC refs will have him fouling out of virtually every tourny game.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Watching how other conferences' refs officiated Walker-style big men this season, I think non-SEC refs will have him fouling out of virtually every tourny game.

I worry about this too. Adds a whole layer of stress when games are called that way. Extremely frustrating to watch, and I’m sure extremely frustrating as the player caught up in getting called for everything. Hoping Walker can avoid this scenario, but doesn’t seem likely. 

13 hours ago, rocketman73 said:

2019 Final Four...Virginia* double dribbled.

So egregiously they didn't even try to deny it, they just laughed at the fact that they didn't get called for it.

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Kess gets called for so many bogus fouls already, I don't even want to think about the officiating getting worse...

This group has almost zero tourney experience. We need the experience of the pressure and atmosphere and schedule of playing in the SEC tourney as deep as possible.