02/16/2022 Update

Zeek

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

There are a lot of visits and offers happening in the 2023 class. Personally, I'm not covering that class until there is a commitment or we at the very least have a full staff again. Despite all this drama the recruiting work for the 2023 class continues to look promising, somehow. Here is what I can pass along for now.

1. As I have stated before we're nowhere near done in the transfer portal for the class of 2022. The three misses on signing day were ugly for sure but the staff refused to take players they felt were a "reach" or settling. Instead they opted to keep spots open for post-spring transfers.
  2. April 9th is our Spring Game so expect some more momentum after that. We will have departures like everyone else but the additions will be there too. 
  3. Stop expecting another transfer QB. Not sure why some seem obsessed with the idea of us adding another transfer QB but I don't see it happening. If it were to occur, expect it to be a Grant Loy type spot filler for depth purposes.
  4. TCU Edge Khari Coleman is someone we're interested in (not sure how much) but Ole Miss seems to have the lead on him.
  5. Jeremiah Wright is officially on the OL. Take that how you will.
  6. The 2023 class is supposed to be heavy with OL and DL. We'll see how that actually pans out.

Sorry there isn't much to share but the good news is there is some hype for the future. For now we're in a holding pattern for mid-April to start seeing some movement again.

Patience is a virtue. Thanks for the update buddy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

There are a lot of visits and offers happening in the 2023 class. Personally, I'm not covering that class until there is a commitment or we at the very least have a full staff again. Despite all this drama the recruiting work for the 2023 class continues to look promising, somehow. Here is what I can pass along for now.

1. As I have stated before we're nowhere near done in the transfer portal for the class of 2022. The three misses on signing day were ugly for sure but the staff refused to take players they felt were a "reach" or settling. Instead they opted to keep spots open for post-spring transfers.
  2. April 9th is our Spring Game so expect some more momentum after that. We will have departures like everyone else but the additions will be there too. 
  3. Stop expecting another transfer QB. Not sure why some seem obsessed with the idea of us adding another transfer QB but I don't see it happening. If it were to occur, expect it to be a Grant Loy type spot filler for depth purposes.
  4. TCU Edge Khari Coleman is someone we're interested in (not sure how much) but Ole Miss seems to have the lead on him.
  6. The 2023 class is supposed to be heavy with OL and DL. We'll see how that actually pans out.

Sorry there isn't much to share but the good news is there is some hype for the future. For now we're in a holding pattern for mid-April to start seeing some movement again.

Appreciate the update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:Personally, I'm not covering that class until there is a commitment or we at the very least have a full staff again. 

Quick, someone get an NIL deal drawn up for @Zeek  We can’t afford to lose this guy in the recruiting forum

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Quick, someone get an NIL deal drawn up for @Zeek  We can’t afford to lose this guy in the recruiting forum

I hear he'd love a box of diapers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jgarrett7 said:

Man, a pampers sponsorship the last 5 years could’ve changed my life. 

Exactly 💯 

• Like 1

Preciate ya @Zeek . You deserve some time off. Not like we're about to get a ton of commits or anything, lol. Only thing I disagree with is that if we take another QB it will be a Grant Loy type. Harsin seems too damn selective to waste a spot on a warm body to hold the clipboard. Even Ashford has the skills to start one day. Here's to hoping we somehow get Daniels, but I'm not getting my hopes up whatsoever 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Here's to hoping we somehow get Daniels, but I'm not getting my hopes up whatsoever 

Daniels has already transferred once, USC to UGA. He'll have to sit out a year unless he drops down to a smaller division.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Daniels has already transferred once, USC to UGA. He'll have to sit out a year unless he drops down to a smaller division.

Believe he's graduating in May

• Like 1

9 hours ago, au302 said:

Believe he's graduating in May

That, I didn't know. I don't know what we'd want with another QB. If something can't be made from three former 4* guys (Alford, Davis and Geriner) plus Calzada, whatever his rating was, then it's unlikely that adding another one to the mix would improve things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That, I didn't know. I don't know what we'd want with another QB. If something can't be made from three former 4* guys (Alford, Davis and Geriner) plus Calzada, whatever his rating was, then it's unlikely that adding another one to the mix would improve things.

Don't disagree with the thought. Only way I see it is if two leave after spring (TJ and DD) and we need to get back to 4. I guess I'm a little higher on Daniels than most. I think he's a lot better than anyone we have, at least as of right now, and would provide a steady veteran QB. We'll see. Got 10 spots to fill, but I'm not expecting him or a QB either

On 2/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, Zeek said:

Thanks for the update.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, Zeek said:

The state of Alabama is absolutely loaded with six or seven 4*/5* DL for the 2023 class. If AU can land at least 3 (hopefully 4) from the state and 1 or 2 outside, it will be a solid DL class.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

What is the possibility of losing one of the QBs in that room after spring? (say T.J or Davis) Maybe we would be looking for another at that point?

I would wager pretty good if not a certainty. I'm sure a guy or two will leave on their own after seeing the writing on the wall. Theoretically if someone like Daniels told them he wants to come and no one wants to leave, they'd clear room. That hasn't been an issue for this staff, lol

3 hours ago, peashooter said:

On 247 there are 11 players ranked in the top 100 from AL. How many would AU have to get for it to be considered a success? 

At this point I hope we can get 1. We’re already off to a bad start

• Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, peashooter said:

On 247 there are 11 players ranked in the top 100 from AL. How many would AU have to get for it to be considered a success? 

A success would be splitting 5/5 with UAT on ten of those, with one going out of state. Two or fewer falls into disaster level for Auburn.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

A success would be splitting 5/5 with UAT on ten of those, with one going out of state. Two or fewer falls into disaster level for Auburn.

When in the last 10 years have we split 50/50 with Alabama with in state players who were ranked in the top 100?  I hope we can get a few but as I said before we normally have never done that well with top 100 players in the state of Alabama so why is the threshold this high now other than so you can say how bad Harsin is.  You were down on Harsin before he was hired because Gus was let go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2