02/16/2022 Update

Zeek

On 2/17/2022 at 4:12 PM, Timeslider 6 said:

What is the possibility of losing one of the QBs in that room after spring? (say T.J or Davis) Maybe we would be looking for another at that point?

TJ would have to sit out a year unless he dropped down a division, right?  Is the rule that players get a 1 time free transfer to any school?  Davis transferring I could definitely see happening, especially if he's tested the waters for a new home, i.e. Liberty U.

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

When in the last 10 years have we split 50/50 with Alabama with in state players who were ranked in the top 100?  I hope we can get a few but as I said before we normally have never done that well with top 100 players in the state of Alabama so why is the threshold this high now other than so you can say how bad Harsin is.  You were down on Harsin before he was hired because Gus was let go.

The question asked was what would be a successful split. My answer, 5/5 with one going elsewhere. We have been less than successful in prior years. That doesn't change what it would take to be successful this cycle.

Quote: "You were down on Harsin before he was hired because Gus was let go."  Post a quote of mine to that effect. Since you can't, I call BS.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

The question asked was what would be a successful split. My answer, 5/5 with one going elsewhere. We have been less than successful in prior years. That doesn't change what it would take to be successful this cycle.

Quote: "You were down on Harsin before he was hired because Gus was let go."  Post a quote of mine to that effect. Since you can't, I call BS.

It is not a single quote it is your total actions. When Gus was coach and so many were calling for his ouster you made the quote as long as he is the Auburn coach I will back him. You defended Gus against every legitimate complaint against him. Yet when Harsin became coach almost from day one you were the one complaining against him as opposed to as long as he is the Auburn coach I will back him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It is not a single quote it is your total actions. When Gus was coach and so many were calling for his ouster you made the quote as long as he is the Auburn coach I will back him. You defended Gus against every legitimate complaint against him. Yet when Harsin became coach almost from day one you were the one complaining against him as opposed to as long as he is the Auburn coach I will back him. 

I knew you couldn't produce a quote in which I said I wish Harsin would fail. Thus, BS.

"Almost from day one" and "before he was hired" are not the same thing. Select a point and stick with it.

• Facepalm 1

On 2/24/2022 at 7:18 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

My recollection (which is not iron clad) is that Mikey always made the statement "be careful what you wish for", basically meaning we knew what we had with Gus averaging 8 win seasons and he brought zero off the field controversy to the program.  Gus was a solid and steady product, mediocre as it had become.  Mikey simply mentioned when many of us (me included) were baying for Gus' blood, that Auburn could do  much worse than a Gus Malzhan run program and we should be careful wishing and hoping for him to be terminated.  He said Auburn could end up like Tennessee wondering around in the abyss OR it could end up like Clemson and rise up to an elite level program - the future was uncertain.  

Now after a year of the Harsin experiment here we sit exactly only 1 week away from a clown show of a giant proportions.  It will all prove out one way or the other and the end result could go either way, but I still believe Mikey's warnings hold true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

My recollection (which is not iron clad) is that Mikey always made the statement "be careful what you wish for", basically meaning we knew what we had with Gus averaging 8 win seasons and he brought zero off the field controversy to the program.  Gus was a solid and steady product, mediocre as it had become.  Mikey simply mentioned when many of us (me included) were baying for Gus' blood, that Auburn could do  much worse than a Gus Malzhan run program and we should be careful wishing and hoping for him to be terminated.  He said Auburn could end up like Tennessee wondering around in the abyss OR it could end up like Clemson and rise up to an elite level program - the future was uncertain.  

Now after a year of the Harsin experiment here we sit exactly only 1 week away from a clown show of a giant proportions.  It will all prove out one way or the other and the end result could go either way, but I still believe Mikey's warnings hold true. 

I’m looking for the Clemson side of his warning to hold true. We aren’t accused of handing out McDonald’s bags nor did we fire our coach with cause. Looking for steady improvement in recruiting/on field results exactly like Clemson did when Dabo began.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m looking for the Clemson side of his warning to hold true. We aren’t accused of handing out McDonald’s bags nor did we fire our coach with cause. Looking for steady improvement in recruiting/on field results exactly like Clemson did when Dabo began.

My point from the start has been that most schools go through multiple coaches before settling on one they are satisfied with. In the case of Clemson, for instance, after the highly successful Danny Ford was fired for NCAA violations, Dabo was the fourth coach they hired. Bammer went through five between Stallings and Saban. I could go on and on. Hiring a new coach is a crap shoot and most pick several losers before they hit on a keeper.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

8-5 and 6-7 is virtually no different. Both are wasteland records.  Fortunately one was the norm and we have the ability to improve on the other 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

8-5 and 6-7 is virtually no different. Both are wasteland records.  Fortunately one was the norm and we have the ability to improve on the other 

Similar to a recruiting class ranked 10-20.

To me, that difference takes it from "virtually no different" to vastly different.  

Sometimes it is not the record but how they played.  In most games this year we played teams tough and with  little luck could have had some different outcomes. as for class ranking I would rather have a class ranking of 12 with a well balanced class that filled our needs then a rank of 7 that missed on a couple of positions of need. We had some classes with good ranking under Gus. Years ago as Mikey well remembers we were weak at LB before we finally addressed that need and as everybody knows we have not done well at O-line. Because our O-Line recruiting is weak even when we have a good O-Linemen like Hamm who I think could have been great as an IOL we have to play him out of position as a Tackle where he was a liability at times especially at speed rushers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1