2023 Offensive/Defensive Line Recruiting

toddc

Georgia Tech transfer edge Jordan Domineck visiting Arkansas with Auburn on deck

Jeffrey Lee13 minutes
jordan-domineck-penn-state-nittany-lions-football-on3

Georgia Tech transfer edge Jordan Domineck will be in Arkansas this weekend for an official visit and will visit Auburn soon after.

“Those are the only two (visits) right now,” Domineck said.

Both Arkansas and Auburn are heavily recruiting Domineck.

“Arkansas is recruiting me pretty hard,” Domineck said. “I’ve been talking to Coach (Sam) Pitman and (defensive line) Coach (Deke) Adams. I’ve never been there before so I’m looking forward to my visit this weekend.”

[ Auburn offer “amazing feeling” for Domineck ]

Domineck communicates with Auburn coach Bryan Harsin, edge coach Roc Bellantoni and director of recruiting Darren Uscher.

“Auburn is recruiting me pretty hard, too,” Domineck said. “We’re trying to work up a visit within the coming weeks.”

Domineck has offers from both schools, as well as Penn State, Michigan State, UCF, UConn, Iowa State, Indiana, Kansas and USF, among others.

“There are a few other schools (I’m looking to visit,” Domineck said. “But I don’t have anything else set in stone, yet.”

Domineck plans to take more visits before making a decision.

“I’ll definitely make my decision in April,” Domineck said.

In the past two seasons at Georgia Tech, Domineck had 73 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

Domineck, who is from Lakeland, Fla., is a grad-transfer with two years of eligibility.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

• Like 1

He must work at IHOP because he’s great at making pancakes! 😉 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been reviewing all the different O-linemen we have offered.  The one thing I like is the number, height, and frame are all really good. I really like the number of high 3* to mid level 4* as unlike in the past where we recruited high 4* and 5* players. The reason I like this is in the past we recruited the top guys but those players went to proven programs like bama and Ga. and because we had not really pursued the type of players we are offering now we ended up with nothing. 

I don't know if we will get a great O-Line class but I think the new philosophy gives us a great chance. This is so important and we seem to be on some really sound players.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

The Auburn Live shows are pretty insightful on how things are trending. They are going to do a Defensive Line episode on Tuesday I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Thanks for the good work Todd; I really appreciate it. This is the one place I can come to and not have to hear the moaning & groaning . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

You know the moaners and groaners will catch wind of this and come running! 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

I don't think they care which players we are pursuing or which one's commit to us as long as we fail and they can proclaim they were right all along. Isn't that right AU24, Viper, and clan?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Not unless our top targets slowly, one by one, commit elsewhere. If that's what happens leading up to October/November, there will be moaning and groaning and depending on how severe the damage is, it may well be justified.

We will know a little something by May. We have, by my count, eight slots available for transfers. We have positions of need. Lets see how the portal gets handled, both as far as adding new players and retaining those already on the team.

• Thanks 1

Auburn has a chance to make big impression on Texas OL Connor Stroh

Cole Pinkston41 minutes
FLbohagWUAEIKwA (1) Connor Stroh

Auburn recruiting hasn’t been completely clear, but the OL position has been a focal point. The main targets at that position have been known for a while. In the past few weeks, Auburn went out and offered a slew of new names. One of which was Texas OL Connor Stroh who now plans to visit Auburn.

Will Friend identifies another target, wants him on campus soon

Stroh has seen his recruitment rise some in the past few months. He will be competing against top talent in camps this spring and summer. If he performs well, he will see another big rise. Before that take place, Auburn OL coach Will Friend saw enough on tape to extend an offer.

“I had been texting with Coach (Joe) Bernardi. We planned a call and both Coach Friend and Coach Bernardi joined the call to let me know they liked me and wanted to offer me.”

Friend and Bernardi plan to waste no time in working on getting Stroh to campus. 

“It was a great conversation. More than anything they had taken a good look at my film, liked everything they saw and wanted to offer me. They would like me to visit campus as soon as I can arrange it to meet everyone and get to know the program better.”

Stroh and his family are shooting for the Mar. 19 date in which many top recruits will be in attendance. If for some reason they can’t make that weekend happen, a visit to Auburn, Ala. will still happen soon after

Stroh intrigued by Auburn

Stroh was quick to say that Auburn has his interest before stepping foot on campus. He has been aware of the program while watching football growing up. 

“Auburn is a great SEC program. My parents both went to Texas A&M so Auburn has always been a team I watched and followed being in the same division.”

Some of the in-state schools such as Texas and Texas Tech beat Auburn to the punch in offering, but Stroh maintains the Tigers are not late to the game. 

“They’re definitely not too late. My recruitment is still 100% open.”

On 2/16/2022 at 3:35 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

We should definitely be able to use PT as a selling point. Also need to get NIL going strong as O-Line is by far our biggest need. 

Critical.  But let's throw the whole package at them.  Desperate times.  Without a great class, the picture for next year is,,, not good.  I wouldn't promise anyone elite that they will start as freshmen but,,, Yeah I would.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Critical.  But let's throw the whole package at them.  Desperate times.  Without a great class, the picture for next year is,,, not good.  I wouldn't promise anyone elite that they will start as freshmen but,,, Yeah I would.

And when they aren't ready to contribute and end up as 3rd teamers or redshirts?

All anyone should be promised is an opportunity to earn a starting position. Promise beyond that and you're a liar.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

We're not going to sign anyone in this class that will be ready to compete the next year.  This class has to be the foundation for 24 or 25 and beyond.  We need quality Soph/Jr portal guys this year and then upper classman in the 23 class to absorb the shock for 2023.  If we don't, our OL will be so bad I can't imagine Harsin surviving. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

And when they aren't ready to contribute and end up as 3rd teamers or redshirts?

All anyone should be promised is an opportunity to earn a starting position. Promise beyond that and you're a liar.

I did use the word "elite".  And no, I wouldn't be a liar.  They could start, one game. 

I'm going back to the political forum.  You all have too much of a negative vibe going over here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

They could start

Pretty sure that group of Ziemba, Pugh and the other guy that hurt his back started as freshmen and were much better than what we had been putting out there. Doesn't happen often but it can.

• Like 1

Wilkin Formby

Formby, a standout at Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge, is the No. 15 recruit in the state of Alabama and No. 19 offensive tackle nationally in the industry generated 24Sports Composite. And, he’s a huge Auburn target, which has a massive and glaring need at tackle in yet another recruiting cycle.

Article by KN

In-state 4-star OT planning to visit Auburn weekend recruiting event

Cole Pinkstonabout 9 

With just a week until the weekend recruiting event Auburn has been building, they are still adding names to the list. The latest that is expected to be there is 4-star, top-100 overall recruit Wilkin Formby. In terms of big recruits being on campus this coming weekend, Formby could be one of the biggest, if not the biggest; That is both literally and figuratively. 

The Formby File

For those who aren’t yet aware of Formby, he is a 6-foot-7 300-pound offensive tackle prospect from Tuscaloosa, Ala. (Northridge). He is, of course, in the backyard of Alabama, but Formby is open and appears to be giving Auburn a strong look. He is constantly in communication with OL coach Will Friend.

Formby was back on campus at the end of January and spent time with Coach Friend looking at film and learning where he’d fit in Auburn’s offense. 

[ Four-star OT Wilkin Formby makes return trip, plans another visit to Auburn ]

Now he plans a third visit to see how practice is run. It is safe to say that Auburn has made an impression on the rising recruit. He’s got offers such as Alabama, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Florida, Penn State, and many more. 

Auburn was one of the earlier schools to get an offer out to him. As of right now, it isn’t clear where he stands with Alabama. If they were to push for his commitment, it would be difficult for Auburn to overcome. The ground work is being laid for the time being, and Auburn will surely have a say regardless.

Edited by toddc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At least we’re in good company! That’s one loaded top ten list.

Edited by toddc