Men vs Vandy Game Thread

Maverick.AU

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's awesome to watch a team play their best and we don't even give our's and they still didn't ever have a chance.

The confidence of this team really jumped off the screen. I'm sure part of it is my imagination because I've seen it play out in almost every game- other team gets a lead early, keeps it until late in the first half, Auburn makes a run before halftime to get it close or even take the lead, second half it's taillights for the other team.

But as that inevitable first half run started, you could tell the team knew it. They were just like, okay, this is the part where we stop letting you believe. Pippen was out of his mind and Vandy couldn't miss so Auburn just decided to stop letting them shoot the ball. It was crazy.

That little stretch of Kessler and Vandy's big going mano a mano was fun. I've known that he's got a little killer in him but that felt like him just saying, no, you will not be having your big night on my floor tonight, sir. I feel like that was good information getting closer to March. 

• Like 8

Their big initially surprised Kessler at the beginning and it looked like he would own Kessler. That seemed to fire Kessler up when Kessler hit the baseline jumper I knew he was going to have a great game.  Add that to the best offensive game Jabari has had and Vandy didn't have a chance.  I am still confused when Jabari shot the three and as he was bringing the ball up and the guy raked him it was not considered a foul in the act of shooting he still got both FT's but it should have been 3 FT's.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The confidence of this team really jumped off the screen. I'm sure part of it is my imagination because I've seen it play out in almost every game- other team gets a lead early, keeps it until late in the first half, Auburn makes a run before halftime to get it close or even take the lead, second half it's taillights for the other team.

But as that inevitable first half run started, you could tell the team knew it. They were just like, okay, this is the part where we stop letting you believe. Pippen was out of his mind and Vandy couldn't miss so Auburn just decided to stop letting them shoot the ball. It was crazy.

That little stretch of Kessler and Vandy's big going mano a mano was fun. I've known that he's got a little killer in him but that felt like him just saying, no, you will not be having your big night on my floor tonight, sir. I feel like that was good information getting closer to March. 

Yes my guy, all of this is awesome building to being prepared for the big dance! And not being scared rattled at a lead or at runs is paramount.

Pippen is a very good and smart player. I don't remember the thread or anything but somewhere I talked about we may have difficulty with bigger alpha guards. When we run into that since we really don't have anybody besides Flan maybe Moore as far as taking a challenge and stopping those type of players the next best thing is to make sure we lock down everybody else and keep our mistakes at minimum.

Flannigan had a bad game. It's really just the turnovers. This is the only game he's done that though so hopefully he learns from this and it doesn't happen again.

I was very happy to see green finally say hey my shot isn't where I want it right now so I'll create for some others a bit. As soon as he did that we were off to the races. 

If we don't turn the ball over.....get ready for the other team to have a long night. When Smith is feeling it, literally nothing they can do. They actually had a good game plan though. If I'm going against Smith and he's on, I need a guard to slow the pace down and get to the free throw line. That's what they did......still lost! Man we're a tough team!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was very happy to see green finally say hey my shot isn't where I want it right now so I'll create for some others a bit. As soon as he did that we were off to the races. 

I'm glad to hear you say that. Sure seemed that way watching it. And you could even see the thought process before that, because he was trying everything he could to get the ball in the net. Like, I'm going to will myself into finding my shot. But like you said, he realized it wasn't happening and adjusted. And the other guys took him up on his offer. So fun to see. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

There are only 2 more games in Auburn Arena with Jabari and Kessler. Enjoy it while you can, guys.

I see you got some unhappy responses to this but I'm reminded of a Jason Isbell lyric that goes:

"Maybe time running out is a gift
I'll work hard til the end of my shift"

If I may be so bold, the focus shouldn't be on the first sentence but the second one. Truly, enjoy it, folks. Savor every second. The fact that it's fleeting makes it that much more fun. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yes my guy, all of this is awesome building to being prepared for the big dance! And not being scared rattled at a lead or at runs is paramount.

Pippen is a very good and smart player. I don't remember the thread or anything but somewhere I talked about we may have difficulty with bigger alpha guards. When we run into that since we really don't have anybody besides Flan maybe Moore as far as taking a challenge and stopping those type of players the next best thing is to make sure we lock down everybody else and keep our mistakes at minimum.

Flannigan had a bad game. It's really just the turnovers. This is the only game he's done that though so hopefully he learns from this and it doesn't happen again.

If we don't turn the ball over.....get ready for the other team to have a long night. When Smith is feeling it, literally nothing they can do. They actually had a good game plan though. If I'm going against Smith and he's on, I need a guard to slow the pace down and get to the free throw line. That's what they did......still lost! Man we're a tough team!

When Jabari starts pulling from the time line without a dribble, you know he's feeling it 😂. Then gave the shrug like there's nothing they can do.  His postgame interview with Dari, he was asked about that Jordan esque response, Jabari answered with extreme confidence in his abilities.  Loved hearing how confident he was. Dude's a pro already. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I see you got some unhappy responses to this but I'm reminded of a Jason Isbell lyric that goes:

If I may be so bold, the focus shouldn't be on the first sentence but the second one. Truly, enjoy it, folks. Savor every second. The fact that it's fleeting makes it that much more fun. 

Dont be sad its over

Be happy it happened

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

When Jabari starts pulling from the time line without a dribble, you know he's feeling it 😂. Then gave the shrug like there's nothing they can do.  His postgame interview with Dari, he was asked about that Jordan esque response, Jabari answered with extreme confidence in his abilities.  Loved hearing how confident he was. Dude's a pro already. 

I agree with you 100% it's awesome to see. I think he heard a couple of people mumbling negative stuff and he said he's going to address it lol. Sometimes people forget the freshmen usually hit walls. Especially a shooter, just a little fatigue in the legs can lead to a shooting slump.

Give him a couple of years and he'll be having his Kevin Durant moment. He'll say I'm Jabari Smith......you know who I am 😂

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Vandy was very active and their commitment to executing ball screen action really stood out. Probably better than any team we've played. They were constantly running our guards into screen after screen after screen trying to free up Pippen. Yes we were hounding him. Trying to wear him down, which did affect his FG shooting. But we fouled him a million times with a number of them being 25-30 feet away from the bucket. Zep and KD both got into foul trouble, meaning Wendell had to absorb those minutes and he was already struggling to make shots. To his tremendous credit, he always seems to find other ways to ignite the team. Just. Wow.

As for Flan, the effort and hustle is there. But he's still not in sync with the flow of things. As if he's trying too hard one minute. A little confused the next. Last night in particular. The game looked too fast for him. Take a queue from Jabari. No need to force things, let the game come to him, and cut out the turnovers. Some of that was Vandy. They got after it and didn't let up until the final whistle.

Jabari was the best player in college basketball last night.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's what I was going for. I just wanted to people to try and enjoy this as much as possible. If you have the chance/money go to Auburn Arena before it's too late.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Their big initially surprised Kessler at the beginning and it looked like he would own Kessler. That seemed to fire Kessler up when Kessler hit the baseline jumper I knew he was going to have a great game.  Add that to the best offensive game Jabari has had and Vandy didn't have a chance.  I am still confused when Jabari shot the three and as he was bringing the ball up and the guy raked him it was not considered a foul in the act of shooting he still got both FT's but it should have been 3 FT's.

Same here. Seemed clear on TV and the lengths refs go to award the "and 1" when the foul is on the floor prior to the shot would make this a clear shooting foul. What if that shot had gone in? Wave off? I didn't see the refs waving it off while it was in the air. Unless his toe was on the line. But I thought the announcers, who kept calling him Jabari Davis and said it took us 39 and a half minutes to tie the game (before halftime) were wrong when they said 1 and 1 vs 2 shots.

28 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

That's what I was going for. I just wanted to people to try and enjoy this as much as possible. If you have the chance/money go to Auburn Arena before it's too late.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 10-46-51 Orders.png

Took my own advice and had to make it to Auburn for at least 1 home game. Future me will worry about the money. lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Idk if the NCAA has employed this, but it could’ve been what’s called a side to side foul in the NBA. Jabari does it pretty often (Scotty does too), I dunno how often he’s done it from three but I know it’s been called on the floor vs a shooting foul from the mid range multiple times 

2 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Vandy was very active and their commitment to executing ball screen action really stood out. Probably better than any team we've played. They were constantly running our guards into screen after screen after screen trying to free up Pippen. Yes we were hounding him. Trying to wear him down, which did affect his FG shooting. But we fouled him a million times with a the number of them being 25-30 feet away from the bucket. Zep and KD both got into foul trouble, meaning Wendell had to absorb those minutes and he was already struggling to make shots. To his tremendous credit, he always seems to find other ways to ignite the team. Just. Wow.

As for Flan, the effort and hustle is there. But he's still not in sync with the flow of things. As if he's trying too hard one minute. A little confused the next. Last night in particular. The game looked too fast for him. Take a queue from Jabari. No need to force things, let the game come to him, and cut out the turnovers. Some of that was Vandy. They got after it and didn't let up until the final whistle.

Jabari was the best player in college basketball last night.

Yeah it was odd to me that so many people were upset about Pippen’s game. No one outside of Zep could stay in front of him without bodying him, some of his fouls were of the NBA type where you use the defender’s tendencies (so to speak) to force them to foul you, but many were pretty legit 

• Like 1

If I read through these comments and ignored the score posts, I would have thought Auburn lost by 30.

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah it was odd to me that so many people were upset about Pippen’s game. No one outside of Zep could stay in front of him without bodying him, some of his fouls were of the NBA type where you use the defender’s tendencies (so to speak) to force them to foul you, but many were pretty legit 

Pippen is a great player and I already said most of the fouls were legitimate. My big issue was not calling his fouls. Anytime a player got close to him the off arm came out and pushed the player away. All players do that to an extent and as long as you keep the arm fairly close to your body it is not called but there were multiple times the arm was well away from his body and no call. He is a smart player if they called it he would have adjusted but it would have lessened his impact as without that extra space it would be harder to beat his defender.

Flan is definitely trying to do too much. The game is in his head currently. He picked and chose his spots against A&M, and it worked out tremendously. I wonder if some of these faster paced teams get Flan a couple steps ahead of himself and causes these issues.

30 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

Flan is definitely trying to do too much. The game is in his head currently. He picked and chose his spots against A&M, and it worked out tremendously. I wonder if some of these faster paced teams get Flan a couple steps ahead of himself and causes these issues.

Does he have another year of eligibility left?

Edited by Proud Tiger

13 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Does he have another year of eligibility left?

He's only a junior this season. He has 2 more if he takes the COVID year.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Agree 100%. Wouldn't matter if they were hosting Backwater U. This is already an historic team. It's either that, or pack your bags for Gainesville, Starkville, Knoxville, Tampa and beyond. SEC and NCAA tourney tickets might be easier to come by. It was well worth the Ticketmaster cost of $100 per seat for the 2 game session with Gonzaga/Baylor and Auburn/Kansas in 2019 on the NBA Jazz' homecourt in Salt Lake City.

Edited by slyinsocal

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Pippen is a great player and I already said most of the fouls were legitimate. My big issue was not calling his fouls. Anytime a player got close to him the off arm came out and pushed the player away. All players do that to an extent and as long as you keep the arm fairly close to your body it is not called but there were multiple times the arm was well away from his body and no call. He is a smart player if they called it he would have adjusted but it would have lessened his impact as without that extra space it would be harder to beat his defender.

Coaxing and baiting defenders into fouling is an art form, ala Trae Young, James Harden, etc. Pippen Jr learned it growing up from one of the best.

• Like 2