Walker Kessler and Jabari Smith

Rednilla

You know, I'm somewhat glad Walker changed his mind at the last minute and went to UNC last year. Because if he comes to Auburn, he plays 25-30 minutes a game, puts up highlight after highlight with Coop, and might well have decided to turn pro.

Plus, since UNC wanted him to be the traditional back-to-the-basket big man, he grew in a way he might not have on the Plains, so even if he hadn't gone pro after his freshman season, he still expanded his game differently than he probably would have at Auburn.

Also, Jabari is getting closer to figuring out exactly how good he can be. And I'll say it again: if he figures it all the way out, the only team that will beat Auburn come Tournament time is Auburn. We aren't as strong from behind the arch as we've been in the past, but I'm hoping that at least part of that is what the commentators told us tonight that Bruce said about playing so tight defensively but sometimes sloppy on offense... and even as poor as we've shot the 3 ball in conference play, we've got a few guys who can hit clutch shots from deep when we need them to, including one who is 6'10 and able to shoot over perimeter players with ease.

Anything can, and usually does, happen come time for the NCAAs, but another thing I've said before that I believe with all my heart: If *ever* there was an Auburn basketball team that could win it all, this is the one. We have every ingredient we need to make a serious title run.

• Like 5

Something that hadn’t occurred to me until tonight: Obviously he won’t have a full college career, but Walker Kessler has a pretty unassailable case as the best Auburn center of all time. There aren’t really many other choices. His stats are significantly better in all facets of the game than guys like Mamadou N’Diaye and Kyle Davis. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunndone414 said:

Something that hadn’t occurred to me until tonight: Obviously he won’t have a full college career, but Walker Kessler has a pretty unassailable case as the best Auburn center of all time. There aren’t really many other choices. His stats are significantly better in all facets of the game than guys like Mamadou N’Diaye and Kyle Davis. 

Pepto Bolden for 1 game. 31 pts 31 rebounds against Kentucky. We won.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Pepto Bolden for 1 game. 31 pts 31 rebounds against Kentucky. We won.

Wow. Incredible reference! Per a January 1975 issue of the Plainsman, he had 31pts and 18reb in an OT win in Auburn. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Wow. Incredible reference! Per a January 1975 issue of the Plainsman, he had 31pts and 18reb in an OT win in Auburn. 

My mistake. I was at the game and thought I had read the stats on rebounding. Must have gotten it wrong but he was the man that night!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I too want to see him in Auburn for another season, but I just dont see it happening.  

I think there's an outside shot if we get him a significant NIL deal and Bruce sells him on developing his perimeter game, because he does seem to like to shoot the 3 (and he hasn't been all that good at it to this point in his career), and if he were able to develop an outside shot, I would imagine that he jumps from late lottery to top 5, but you're more than likely correct.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I think there's an outside shot if we get him a significant NIL deal and Bruce sells him on developing his perimeter game, because he does seem to like to shoot the 3 (and he hasn't been all that good at it to this point in his career), and if he were able to develop an outside shot, I would imagine that he jumps from late lottery to top 5, but you're more than likely correct.

I hope im wrong.  

However, there is something about watching him and Jabari that looks like they are really enjoying being college kids and feel like they may want to run it back next year.  Deep down, I know there is no chance.

I think there is a chance for Kessler to come back. Probably not a much of a chance but it could happen. I always look at the going pro decision and ask the following questions....

1. Is the athlete and the family ok from a money standpoint?
2. Can the athlete improve their draft position by coming back?
3. Does the athlete enjoy the college experience? i.e involved around campus....seems generally happy on the court and in interviews....etc...

If you can answer yes to those questions then i think there is a chance they come back. I think Kessler has played his way into first round consideration so i think he'll go but i don't think its a forgone conclusion like it is with Jabari. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think there is a chance for Kessler to come back. Probably not a much of a chance but it could happen. I always look at the going pro decision and ask the following questions....

3. Does the athlete enjoy the college experience? i.e involved around campus....seems generally happy on the court and in interviews....etc...

If you can answer yes to those questions then i think there is a chance they come back. I think Kessler has played his way into first round consideration so i think he'll go but i don't think its a forgone conclusion like it is with Jabari. 

#3 is the key for me.

I took a 5th year in college, not because I needed to, but because I wanted to.  I enjoyed being a college student.  I had a great job lined up that didnt require me to start immediately, so took a 5th year to enjoy being a college kid before going out in to the real world.  I have never regretted staying around for an extra year.

• Like 1

I’ve said it more than people care to see me say it, but Roy did good for Kessler’s footwork. UNC always had good post bigs

I think this is the optimal version of Auburn honestly. Vandy played for defending the paint, even to a fault. Running a zone to mitigate Kessler and other guys cutting to the rim while Jabari is hitting consecutive threes. We should be playing inside out, not outside in where Jabari gets three shots and Kessler gets like 5. 

And it’ll be tougher for me if we revert to the guards playing hero ball like a few games ago. KD has shown he CAN be a passing cog for two games now. Zep is a passer. Wendell is a wave. Flanigan should be a much better passer than he’s shown. This should be a team where the guards, outside of transition, primarily get their scoring opportunities after involving the bigs 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I’m seeing Kessler at mid 1st around the way now, and that’s only with two really marquee matchups. If he does anything of note in postseason play, it’s a wrap 

3 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I too want to see him in Auburn for another season, but I just dont see it happening.  

He's on his way to becoming a Lottery Pick. 

16 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

I'm hoping we get Kessler for another season. 

Not after the scouts saw him last night. He and JAbari will be gone into the draft....

I noticed last night that Kessler has added some other moves to the basket...that baseline move and score. THe only shot he needs to use more is his short jumper. He's so smooth, and has a great short shot, but I don't seem him using it hardly at all...

• Like 1

When these two are on their game and Green is driving the lane and feeding them, this team will be tough to beat. Gotta stay hot from the perimeter in the tourney. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Kessler is unstoppable if he catches it down low without needing to dribble. We all know that luxury won’t happen often in the NBA. He really needs to come back and work on post-up dribble moves and showing he can hit more mid-range jumpers like the one from the right boundary last night. If he did, he def would go from a 10-15 pick to a 1-3 pick. Not holding my breath tho. I’m sure the thinking is he’ll work on it when he gets there. Avoid injury and get mid-round $ while healthy. 

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

You have to realize though that w/ Kessler and  JAbari, Jabari allows the middle to open up a lot for Kessler to do what he does well around the basket. So his numbers are really good w Jabari in there.

With Jabari gone after this year, this might be his best option to cash in when draft time comes. 

Now it's also a possibility he really likes college and most of the guys he seems to hang out with will be back next year, so there is that addition enticement along w/ the NIL.

I wonder if he decided to stay if that means Cardwell is going to look for another place to start...He's getting better the more he plays the game..IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

All great points about Kessler in this thread!

I am a firm believer that Kessler has done what he needs to do to be a high draft pick (mid to late first round at the very least), and he is gone after this year.  But I like this measuring stick... #1 from what I understand, yes.   #2 I think probably so (for the reasons others have stated).  #3 from all indications this dude absolutely LOVES Auburn and his college experience!!!   So, its possible he may decide to stay, especially because of reasons 2 and 3, but I would say its doubtful at this point, and if he shows out in the postseason and AU goes to the final four again, that will probably end any futile hopes we may have had of him staying.    I can live with this scenario.  😁 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder if he decided to stay if that means Cardwell is going to look for another place to start...He's getting better the more he plays the game..IMO.

Cardwell is absolutely getting better!!!   And this is one of the reasons I won't be as upset when Kessler goes pro after this season.    But I'm not so sure if Kessler did come back that Cardwell wouldn't stay as well.   That may be the one dude on the team that loves being at Auburn more than Kessler does!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Cardwell is absolutely getting better!!!   And this is one of the reasons I won't be as upset when Kessler goes pro after this season.    But I'm not so sure if Kessler did come back that Cardwell wouldn't stay as well.   That may be the one dude on the team that loves being at Auburn more than Kessler does!

I understand what you say about AU, but these guys all dream of playing in the NBA, and if Cardwell should stay he will get only 1 year as a starter, if Kessler decides to stay one more year.

So he has to look at it as showcasing his game as much as possible, and he can't do that playing 10 minutes a game this year and next...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

This is a good point. I don't think he would look elsewhere, because he, also, seems to genuinely love playing for Bruce at Auburn, and he's getting minutes, but contrary to what I've seen some others say, I think he can be a legit SEC starter next season, as opposed to being forced to find next year's starting center in the portal.