Worried about Flanigan...

steeleagle

Flanigan looked totally lost last night. 6 TOs in 24 mins, and he is not even playing guard last night. Just lazy pass after pass, poor ball handling. 

It's far enough along in the season that he should have rounded into form. He's a JR, so he knows how he should play.

It;s all mental now for sure. I saw on the tv broadcast, they would show after he turned it over, charged, etc, and the looks on PEarl and especially Wes Flanigan, showed a lot of frustration and disappointment. 

He still gets equal minutes as Cambridge, but Cambridge is playing every well on blocks, offensive rebounds and even a nice steal last night. 

We will need Flanigan, I just hope he figures it out. But as it stands now, he is going way down on the Draft boards...IMO.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

ARK booed him. Yeah that’s it. Put the hex voodoo spell on him. 

what did you expect? HE is an Ark native, his dad and grandfather have long roots in Ark basketball.

He should expect it....It would be the same as someone who went to Auburn High, signs w/ Ark, and our students would boo him too. That's college kids.. 

:)

I'm not going to get that worried about Flan just yet. He had a bad game...it happens. I think he has struggled to find his place on this team but last night was the first time i thought he really kind of weighed down the team. In previous games he has been valuable even though the offense was not all there. Last night it was definitely a negative having him on the court. If he has another one or 2 of these games then i think Pearl has to look at changing some minutes up. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

what did you expect? HE is an Ark native, his dad and grandfather have long roots in Ark basketball.

He should expect it....It would be the same as someone who went to Auburn High, signs w/ Ark, and our students would boo him too. That's college kids.. 

:)

Same happened with KD at Georgia. The boos were even more ferocious because he transferred out. But KD used it as motivation by leading the team with 20 points. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm not going to get that worried about Flan just yet. He had a bad game...it happens. I think he has struggled to find his place on this team but last night was the first time i thought he really kind of weighed down the team. In previous games he has been valuable even though the offense was not all there. Last night it was definitely a negative having him on the court. If he has another one or 2 of these games then i think Pearl has to look at changing some minutes up. 

He's had multiple bad games. 

And I noticed when Flan has those bad games, Devan has played more minutes, bc he has played much more steady, and doing a lot of the little things that helps the team...

It looks like Pearl gives Flan a lot a rope, as he still start him every game...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well he has played hurt a lot this season. i think he is still trying to get well. he might be well now but i think i remember bruce saying it was one of those things that would take time?

He's just not a smart basketball player. I've been saying that since his Freshman year. He got better last year because of his athleticism and scoring ability and defense over shadowed any deficiencies. I think its all mental at this point because he's made a lot of "what are you doing..." plays. There's a difference in a KD or Wendell turnover because they are out of control, and the turnovers or lack of awareness we have seen from Flanigan in the games where he has really struggled. 

Edited by GTNupe11

Last night was bad, he looked lost out there. I’m not sure what to think really because he just doesn’t look the NBA prospect he was expected to be. That injury really did a number on him. Right now he is way down the list of the guy I want to have the ball when the game is on the line and that’s a shame.  :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Yeah, I'm worried about Flan.  I don't know if it's the lingering impact of his physical injury, or the mental impact of the injury, but to me it looks like he will not get back to last year's form this year.

Can't Jaylin be utilized more and Flan less?

• Like 1

Last night was really bad - he has to figure it out in order for us to win it all. We will face teams with Bigs that will equalize Kessler. Our team has proven to be streaky shooting the ball, especially away from home. Flanigan is the X-factor for me. If he can score in double figures and cut down the turnovers, then that opens it up for everyone else. We have to have more offensive production out of the 3 (Small Forward) position.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t be mad at him only being a starter in some matchups. He should be a good secondary ball handler and PnR playmaker but we haven’t seen much of that since Kentucky. Maybe there’s more value in giving him some free reign with the second unit. 

The real value he should have is an organizer or someone who can interrupt selfish periods of play by the team, but he hasn’t been that either. That’s the most alarming thing. Not saying he’s not a leader, but he should be what Zep has been with 2x more years here 

• Like 1

And even though his injury was a leg injury and I’m sure that affects your shooting, him being a bad catch and shot guy doesn’t help you in finding a role for the guy. What he’s been this season is what he’ll be on the next level; a tertiary ball handler that’s gonna be a 3 and D guy. If he’s not play making well (which I thought he was solid at, for his role), isn’t making open shots, and isn’t making good decisions in the limited ball handling opportunities…I dunno

I don’t think this season is an indictment even if he doesn’t figure it out. It’s hard to go from a top 3 player and the guy with the second highest usage on a team to an after thought. Last season swung the pendulum drastically in one direction, this one has swung back it the other. We’ll probably see the real Allen next year 

It's gotta be tough going from the man on a bad team to, what, maybe the 5th best option and a role player? We just need him to figure his role out by March. DCam was frustrating as hell early in the year. In the meantime, I think CMo deserves to take some of his minutes because he can do some things. Lior too if we need shooting 

I tend to agree.  I think Jaylin should be starting at this point and Allen coming in off the bench.  More production from Jaylin than Allen right now.  I would even venture to say that CMo would give us more than Allen currently.  Until Allen can figure things out, his minutes need to be reduced.  I get nervous every time he has the ball in his hand.  Either a missed shot or a turnover is about to happen.  His defense is not bad but that is the only thing keeping him on the court right now.

10 hours ago, roe4christ said:

I tend to agree.  I think Jaylin should be starting at this point and Allen coming in off the bench.  More production from Jaylin than Allen right now.  I would even venture to say that CMo would give us more than Allen currently.  Until Allen can figure things out, his minutes need to be reduced.  I get nervous every time he has the ball in his hand.  Either a missed shot or a turnover is about to happen.  His defense is not bad but that is the only thing keeping him on the court right now.

Jaylin hasn't been playing the 3 though. He plays 4 and a little 5. Somewhat limited on other options there, other than maybe Chris Moore. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 3:58 PM, steeleagle said:

Flanigan looked totally lost last night. 6 TOs in 24 mins, and he is not even playing guard last night. Just lazy pass after pass, poor ball handling. 

It's far enough along in the season that he should have rounded into form. He's a JR, so he knows how he should play.

It;s all mental now for sure. I saw on the tv broadcast, they would show after he turned it over, charged, etc, and the looks on PEarl and especially Wes Flanigan, showed a lot of frustration and disappointment. 

He still gets equal minutes as Cambridge, but Cambridge is playing every well on blocks, offensive rebounds and even a nice steal last night. 

We will need Flanigan, I just hope he figures it out. But as it stands now, he is going way down on the Draft boards...IMO.

I’m Betting he’s back next year.

He’s a way better player than that. I think the injury has been way more significant to his confidence and he’ll need another year to prove to the next level 

• Like 3

He's a full preseason of practices, and 11 games behind everyone else. There's no shortcut. He has to play. A lot of the turnovers are him trying to become the ultimate assist guy. The opponents know this and go hard after him. He just needs to calm down, slow down. Make the simple play. I'd almost rather him get better with his driving and shooting. If he had a mid range game, wow.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Jaylin hasn't been playing the 3 though. He plays 4 and a little 5. Somewhat limited on other options there, other than maybe Chris Moore. 

No, but hypothetically, Jaylin can play the 4 and Jabari slide down to the 3. Jabari is smooth enough to do it.

I think we might be better with Devan starting at this point, but that might frustrate Allen even more... then again, it might snap him out of it and make him start thinking about being a role player instead of being the man. And we're DEFINITELY better with Allen fitting in as the 3 and D guy he needs to focus on being.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

He's a full preseason of practices, and 11 games behind everyone else. There's no shortcut. He has to play. A lot of the turnovers are him trying to become the ultimate assist guy. The opponents know this and go hard after him. He just needs to calm down, slow down. Make the simple play. I'd almost rather him get better with his driving and shooting. If he had a mid range game, wow.

It's hilarious your post got disliked and face palmed......no egos here though!

15 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I’m Betting he’s back next year.

He’s a way better player than that. I think the injury has been way more significant to his confidence and he’ll need another year to prove to the next level 

This ^.

I think he's got like 2 more years of eligibility?  If he wants to play at the next level, coming back is the way to do it.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

This ^.

I think he's got like 2 more years of eligibility?  If he wants to play at the next level, coming back is the way to do it.

He's a junior this year. I'm unsure if basketball players get a Covid year or not, so if they do, he's got two years eligibility left. If not, then he's only got one more.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

This ^.

Its all going to be if he he decides to get a better draft number if he goes to the combine and shows more..If not I see him having to come back another year to get his game back up where it was last year and a better ranking for the draft next year...

Ofc he could just say, I want to go, don't care where I play. GL, overseas, he just wants to move on...

• Like 1