Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

11 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

This loss just pisses me off.  We went in there and let UF bully us the entire time.  

I agree.. we did get bullied and had no answer for it

• Thanks 1

There were some bad calls but good lord stop the complaining. That didn't cost Auburn the game. Auburn plays out of control on both ends of the floor. When you play that way, you open yourself up to missed calls 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I don't even mind the L.  I mind how it occurred and where.  This was the team to beat FL in their house...and yet...we wait still.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I don't have a problem with Jabari in the corner, that's his money spot 

Should have tried to drive and then either to Kessler or Jabari for a chance. But it looks a lot easier sitting here as an old man. I just hate losing to Florida in Basketball for some reason.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tigers23 said:

There were some bad calls but good lord stop the complaining. That didn't cost Auburn the game. Auburn plays out of control on both ends of the floor. When you play that way, you open yourself up to missed calls 

I do agree. It seems for some reason our guard play has dropped into a downward trajectory at the worst time if the year.

1 minute ago, kennypowers said:

I don't even mind the L.  I mind how it occurred and where.  This was the team to beat FL in their house...and yet...we wait still.  

Yup, I'm most pissed that we didn't even get a shot off with 7+ seconds on the clock. That's pathetic.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

We don't have the guard play to make a run. Unreliable and choking in the moment.. too many turnovers to make a run in March. Pearl needs to coach these guys up. 

Yep. I see us winning maybe 2 games in the Dance at most. We really are missing a 3 point sharpshooter. 

• Like 1

Wendell should have not been in the game on that last play.  He played too out of control in this game, but for some reason Pearl had him in the game instead of Zep.  And he failed to produce a shot for the team on the last play.

Good grief. Some of y’all are acting like we’re back in the Barbee years. We lost a close game on the road. Poor officiating, bad clock management, and turnovers hurt. The latter 2 are probably because road games are just freakin hard. It’s hard to play clean with a loud opposing crowd. The team isn’t regressing. It was always going to be a tough game. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Wendell should have not been in the game on that last play.  He played too out of control in this game, but for some reason Pearl had him in the game instead of Zep.  And he failed to produce a shot for the team on the last play.

Completely agree. I love Bruce but this is 100% on him. Happened 3 times in this game alone with Wendell

10 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

What a really stupid effing play call/execution.

That screenshot at that point had Jabari sinking a bit further in the corner than he initially was. A second earlier (displayed in that video earlier in this page) and Jabari is closer to the elbow, a fairly easy pass. Either way, Wen isn’t being pressured until the 3 point line, him being able to see Jabari and get the ball to him without being picked off isn’t the problem. 

And if the idea was to get a high pick and roll and hope Castleton commits (which he did), you want Jabari about where he is there so his defender can’t cheat over to help on Kessler. The Flanigan angle is pretty irrelevant, as everything of importance seemed to be focused on keeping the ball on the right side. 

To UF’s credit, Wendell’s defender stays to the right of Kessler, so he at least interrupted the driving option for Wendell. I thought it was a solid play call 

Just now, ScotsAU said:

Good grief. Some of y’all are acting like we’re back in the Barbee years. We lost a close game on the road. Poor officiating, bad clock management, and turnovers hurt. The team isn’t regressing. It was always going to be a tough game. 

We are still one of the best teams in the country. But it’s hard to believe anyone that has watched this team all year could say we aren’t regressing. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

Kinda like with our guard issues in 2019-20, I don’t think there’s a real solution with the guards other than hoping they figure it out. Zep’s conditioning probably isn’t 100% but I don’t think he’s the dynamic ball handler you need to make those pick and rolls happen or to consistently get drive and kicks. Wendell hasn’t been that guy in a month plus, but you need him to regain that stature to have any hopes. Everyone knows who KD is. Flanigan…anyway 

I don’t really think it’s an adjustment other than say “get the ball to the bigs almost exclusively” and I feel like that would’ve been happened if it was an option 

Guard play has become erratic and has regressed this past month. Almost all of them. Turn overs and really poor outside shooting. They’ve crossed the line from playing free to playing wacko. Better get fixed fast. 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Yep. I see us winning maybe 2 games in the Dance at most. We really are missing a 3 point sharpshooter. 

And a guard that can finish at the rim. If they take Kessler away we need someone. Last year it was Flannigan. Maybe Zep will get more playing time in the offense. 

Wasn’t the best play design and wasn’t the best execution by WGJ. Jabari shouldn’t have been parked in the corner, if anything he should have in bounded the ball and trailed the play. Flan trailing allowed his man to cut off WGJ, if that’s Jabari his man is up on him and not affecting WGJ. Jabari parked in the corner is not getting the ball period because his man ain’t leaving him for anything. And when WGJ turned his back to the goal he could have hit Jabari trailing. Instead it was Flan and WGJ wasn’t giving it to him. Even with all that Kessler was wide open under the goal but WGJ couldn’t get it to him mostly because their center had his hand up. WGJ has to find away to make that pass in that spot IMO. 

It’s a learning experience for sure. Hopefully they figure it out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Guard play has become erratic and has regressed this past month. Almost all of them. Turn overs and really poor outside shooting. They’ve crossed the line from playing free to playing playing wacko. Better get fixed fast. 

Yes, the worst part of today’s game to me was the completely “thrown in the stands” passes 3’-5’ over a players head. That cost too many lost points.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Plain and simple, we don’t have mature enough guard play to make a deep run. 

They also can't shoot the ball.  All you have to do is pack the Defense and don't them the drive.  Make us shoot 3's all day and we're toast.

• Like 1

Did Green not do the same thing when we had the ball at the end of the 1st half and take a good chewing from Bruce.  The point guard MUST make sure we get a shot up, ESPECIALLY if it is to win the game!  Inexcusable son!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

They also can't shoot the ball.  All you have to do is pack the Defense and don't them the drive.  Make us shoot 3's all day and we're toast.

I don’t know. I’ve seen both KD and Wen sink some timely threes in big games. 

Edited by Auburn Tiger

I also think we’re at the spot where you either have a counter punch or you don’t. Guys were taking our guards out the game in 2018 and the counterpunch was the ball going to the forwards (namely Chuma) more. I don’t really think we changed anything in 2019, tried to avoid making Samir a point guard down the stretch I suppose. We didn’t really have a counter punch in 2017 or 2020 with Mac hurt or in the time after Sharife was schemed for by defenses, but those weren’t optimal rosters right 

So, I think this aligns more with the former situations. I think CBP has more than enough pieces to figure out how to ask the guards to do less

• Like 1

Our guys have got to come out of the gate and let the opponent know we are the #2 Team in the country and they don't have a prayer of beating us. Otherwise we gonna get bounced out of the Big Dance quick.

• Like 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I also think we’re at the spot where you either have a counter punch or you don’t. Guys were taking our guards out the game in 2018 and the counterpunch was the ball going to the forwards (namely Chuma) more. I don’t really think we changed anything in 2019, tried to avoid making Samir a point guard down the stretch I suppose. We didn’t really have a counter punch in 2017 or 2020 with Mac hurt or in the time after Sharife was schemed for by defenses, but those weren’t optimal rosters right 

So, I think this aligns more with the former situations. I think CBP has more than enough pieces to figure out how to ask the guards to do less

Yes. They seem to try to do way too much. Ball movement needs to improve.