Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

Some of us were unanimous bball all-stars every single season. So many trophies, awards and plaques, I had to build a new office. You instead were a pretender, a clown. That's why you're a pick-up queen who thinks it's awesome when you hit a 5-footer over a 5' 8" 42-year old bald guy.

Lol. Pics, or it didn't happen. The hitting a jumper over a bald guy part. I don't care about the trophies..

• Like 1

We beat Ole Miss and South Carolina at home. We split on the road. Kentucky loses at Fayetteville or Gainesville. We get the regular season championship without sharing. 

I think we win maybe one game in the SEC tournament and unless we figure things out, get ousted in the Sweet 16. The end of this season is reminding me of ‘99 when the same scenario happened.

I saw a graphic on SEC Now where the 14 game losing streak in Gainesville is the 3rd longest in an SEC series in history. Not sure what is the longest, but we also have a 19 game losing streak at Lexington going back to the Reagan administration. I have a good feeling both will end under Pearl, but it is just so frustrating.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Lmao. Plenty of us played BB on this forum, I'm sure of it. Anyone with two eyes can see what we need to work on and what we excel at. I think we have talked about those things ad nauseum. To go on a rant though is a little premature. 

Somebody is always telling me they know basketball or they played basketball as if playing means you know basketball.

I haven't ever questioned anybody playing or even knowing basketball. I just say I know basketball. I don't even talk to this guy and he started an argument with himself so he could type on here that he has trophies😂

This dude literally said Cole is wrong again as usual. I said oh, you think? Post it and let's debate. And his reply is Cole is never wrong, clown. You played, but I played and have trophies in my office! 😂😂😂😂

It's pure comedy. But they try to make me out to be the bad guy. 

• Haha 1

Turnovers (I know) and bad possessions at the end of BOTH halves. Either we take too long to get going, or our opponents bring major heat above the 3 pt arc. It's a pattern now and needs to be addressed immediately. There HAS to be a set play or two. SOMETHING other than relying on the PG to do 99% of the work EVERY stinking time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Couldn't agree more especially in BB hell we must having something going on when their fans storm the court. How many times has that happen to Auburn. 

Haha twice in a week and a half

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Turnovers (I know) and bad possessions at the end of BOTH halves. Either we take too long to get going, or our opponents bring major heat above the 3 pt arc. It's a pattern now and needs to be addressed immediately. There HAS to be a set play or two. SOMETHING other than relying on the PG to do 99% of the work EVERY stinking time.

Seems like this is on Bruce. How can you not see this in the film room and not make adjustments 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

While this is a very talented AU team, their play on the road is shaky at best. The scarier thing is, the SEC tourney and the Dance are not at home. I think we are really missing a good 3 point shooter. There’s really no excuse to lose to FL anywhere or have GA take us to the wire. There’s some work to do for sure. Bad game all around. 

Agree here.. just bad basketball. Lack of coherent movement, on both ends of the court. Sorry, this team exits the SEC Tournament and the Dance early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Agree here.. just bad basketball. Lack of coherent movement, on both ends of the court. Sorry, this team exits the SEC Tournament and the Dance early.

So who  beats us? We have lost to UConn on a neutral court. No other neutral court losses. Which lower level SEC team beats on a neutral court and which lower seed beats us in the NCAA tourney?

Did we even try a zone today? Except in the last minute, we didn't trap either. Granted, most teams have a plethora of guards, but we should be changing things up defensively. We're at full strength now and I didn't see any of that today. Kessler is getting some good on the job training guarding the likes of Castleton. A smart, quick big with a repertoire of pump fakes and post moves. Like a Drew Timme. Tough to guard. Jabari is in a league of his own. We need to recognize and attack those mismatches more often.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

So who  beats us? We have lost to UConn on a neutral court. No other neutral court losses. Which lower level SEC team beats on a neutral court and which lower seed beats us in the NCAA tourney?

Well for one, KY, as they are undefeated at home this year also and have played a tougher schedule. They handled a decent Bama team at home today while missing their 2 best players. Second, I think we lose to UT at home next week. They are playing great at the right time, while we floundering in recent weeks. We just don’t have a 3 point shooter that can hit 38-40% from beyond the arc. Yes, we have a very good team, but it’s not as built for a deep tourney run a we were in 19. 

3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

^^^ Cole what did you do to Viper ?? Lol

The DIFFERENCE is there are two guys on this forum who claim to have played the game (fball/bball) at a college level.

Only two. Because they have the audacity to claim so. Nevermind the fact there are dozens of us, maybe hundreds, who also have, but don't flaunt it as such on a daily basis.

One @Malcolm_FleX48CLEARLY knows the game and explains in VAST detail WITHOUT a shred of condescending narcissism.

The other...as evidenced in this thread and bball forum, time after time after time after time, does the exact opposite, self-indulges all of you as the pompous, condescending, narcissistic aficionados of roundball, degrading those who have never played, when in actuality, he is nothing more than a pickup queen at the local gym, thumping his chest over trash put-backs on 40-year old fat guys.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Well for one, KY, as they are undefeated at home this year also and have played a tougher schedule. They handled a decent Bama team at home today while missing their 2 best players. Second, I think we lose to UT at home next week. They are playing great at the right time, while we floundering in recent weeks. We just don’t have a 3 point shooter that can hit 38-40% from beyond the arc. Yes, we have a very good team, but it’s not as built for a deep tourney run a we were in 19. 

The poster said that we would exit the SEC tourney and the NCAA tourney early. We won't play UK early in either tournament. Everyone is whining because we have lost two SEC games. We are in an amazing position and everyone is acting like we are in a freefall and may not win any more games. When you have unrealistic expectations you are far more likely to be disappointed. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Viper said:

The DIFFERENCE is there are two guys on this forum who claim to have played the game (fball/bball) at a college level.

Only two. Because they have the audacity to claim so. Nevermind the fact there are dozens of us, maybe hundreds, who also have, but don't flaunt it as such on a daily basis.

One @Malcolm_FleX48CLEARLY knows the game and explains in VAST detail WITHOUT a shred of condescending narcissism.

The other...as evidenced in this thread and bball forum, time after time after time after time, does the exact opposite, self-indulges all of you as the pompous, condescending, narcissistic aficionados of roundball, degrading those who have never played, when in actuality, he is nothing more than a pickup queen at the local gym, thumping his chest over trash put-backs on 40-year old fat guys.

Well I understand then. Sounds like you guys should hug and apologize to one another, but that would ruin the entertainment. 

• Haha 2

Too many turnovers today. Lots of wild passes. I wish Bruce would get our guys back to fundamentals. Simple passes, moving with purpose, playing off of two feet and not being so handsy on defense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Well I understand then. Sounds like you guys should hug and apologize to one another, but that would ruin the entertainment. 

All I know is you better hurry up and ask him a question about basketball before he hurts himself. You could hear his tears in that post

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

Too many turnovers today. Lots of wild passes. I wish Bruce would get our guys back to fundamentals. Simple passes, moving with purpose, playing off of two feet and not being so handsy on defense.

There was probably 200 bad passes in this game you could call out, but Devan Cambridge catching the ball (errant pass) before it went out of bounds and instead of just collecting it and moving it around, choosing to chuck it to Cardwell while still midair. It was a late decision (which he couldn’t have known) and a bad pass. And a bad decision, which is the crux of this team 

We have veteran experience with the auxiliary guys, most of them have experience HERE…under this coach…and they still make incredibly low brained decisions. I have to deprive myself of comparing CBB to NBA, but I don’t understand how role guys on this level don’t at least have a tendency to err on the safe side when they’re thinking. I know our program doesn’t put an emphasis on SAFETY, but there has to be some rigmarole you can do to ensure dudes that are juniors don’t throw those type of passes or don’t throw multiple errant cross court passes that they know they can’t make. 

That’s the problem for Auburn more than anything is that outside of the two lottery guys (who have 1.5 years of combined college experience), no one has the ability to stabilize (that really demands the ball). Zep is nice in the minutes he’s there, but there’s just not much you can do when you’re not a real ball handler on most possessions

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I see the college basketball IQ for Auburn fans is still really really lacking. FOR THE 90239024902390239090 TIME ROAD GAMES AGAINST ANY QUALITY OF OPPONENT IS HARD AS HELL!!!! REPEAT AFTER ME!!!!!!! For the love of God when will some of you ever learn?!?!?! This is how college basketball has been since the beginning of time. No sport is more effected by home court advantage than mens college basketball. The faster some of yall realize that the better so we can quit the tongue mashing and the come to jesus moments and posts every road L. Road games are even harder this year because we are everyone's biggest game on the schedule. That was Florida's first sell out of the year and their only one for the whole season until Kentucky comes. They will have only 1 other crowd like that all season. This is NOT a veteran team and some of them have not been in road environments like this in 2 years if at all. 

Guess who still has the best conference road record?! DING DING that is right Auburn does at 7-2. Kentucky is next best at 5-4 and Arky is 4-3 while Rocky Top is 4-5. Everyone saying well Auburn has just not looked the same lately.... um we sure as hell did at home. 100 vs bama. 86 vs oklahoma. 75 vs TAMU and 94 vs Vandy. ALL wins by 14 or more. Not looking good on the road is very different from not looking good overall. There is a huge difference. Good thing the games that matter march is all on neutral floors. We are a combined 10-3 in away and neutral games combined. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Facepalm 1

And yes I will fully admit we played absolute TRASH outside of Bari. But guess what?! We still would and should of won the game if florida did not play out of their minds from the moment we went up 9 in the second half for the rest of the game. They are the worst three point shooting team in the conference and they went 7 of 12 from three in the second half and NO @Dual-Threat Rigby not all of them were wide open. Only 2 of them were. A lot of them were on a hope and a prayer just throwing junk up. I found it strange when we went up 9 the next possession florida came down and appleby hit a three with 1 second on the shot clock with one of our guys all in his face. I found that odd. Because I thought the tea leaves were reading we were about to pull away and have a comfortable double digit lead. Just was not meant to be. Just weird as hell place for us to play. We have not won there since 96. Just cursed there.  

And yes I do recognize we NEED to play much better on the road to have a chance vs Miss St and Rocky Top. Getting off to a better start would help for starters. Not having the MOST EGREGIOUS AND ASININE turnovers is another problem. Guard play AND THREE POINT SHOOTING MUST IMPROVE for us to win a SEC title let alone deep march runs. But at the end of the day we have all seen this for years. Teams just always have and always will look completely different at home than away. This is not college football where if you are one of the top teams you are most likely going to dominate home or away. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

Also is this our longest basketball game thread of the year? And it came in a loss? Why is that? It just feels Auburn fans get more out of losing than winning. And that is just sad man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Also is this our longest basketball game thread of the year? And it came in a loss? Why is that? It just feels Auburn fans get more out of losing than winning. And that is just sad man. 

Yeah...misery loves company...even if it is to fight with...people are funny like that.  I screamed and kicked a paper bag I had put down for my cats to play with.  Glad one wasn't in there.  I felt like the Priest in Caddy Shack on the 18th green...so tired of losing on those butthole's floor.  I was a student when we last won there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn fans have been conditioned so much by football that very little provides a positive response outside of a championship. Watching your rivals do it nearly every year in one sport or another seems to create this misery you speak of. 🤷

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I didn't read but the first few and last page of comments so I do not know the context. I doubt anyone will deny this a special team. There aren't as many conflicting opinions in a win as most are pleased. It's easy for a fan such as me to come here and voice my opinion on how it could have been won with such a close game. Hindsight is 20/20, however.. WDE

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I see the college basketball IQ for Auburn fans is still really really lacking. FOR THE 90239024902390239090 TIME ROAD GAMES AGAINST ANY QUALITY OF OPPONENT IS HARD AS HELL!!!! REPEAT AFTER ME!!!!!!! For the love of God when will some of you ever learn?!?!?! This is how college basketball has been since the beginning of time. No sport is more effected by home court advantage than mens college basketball. The faster some of yall realize that the better so we can quit the tongue mashing and the come to jesus moments and posts every road L. Road games are even harder this year because we are everyone's biggest game on the schedule. That was Florida's first sell out of the year and their only one for the whole season until Kentucky comes. They will have only 1 other crowd like that all season. This is NOT a veteran team and some of them have not been in road environments like this in 2 years if at all. 

Guess who still has the best conference road record?! DING DING that is right Auburn does at 7-2. Kentucky is next best at 5-4 and Arky is 4-3 while Rocky Top is 4-5. Everyone saying well Auburn has just not looked the same lately.... um we sure as hell did at home. 100 vs bama. 86 vs oklahoma. 75 vs TAMU and 94 vs Vandy. ALL wins by 14 or more. Not looking good on the road is very different from not looking good overall. There is a huge difference. Good thing the games that matter march is all on neutral floors. We are a combined 10-3 in away and neutral games combined. 

LIke I said, Starkvegas is going to be pivotal.

But yes, you're going to lose a few times in basketball. 'Tis inevitable.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Guess who still has the best conference road record?! DING DING that is right Auburn does at 7-2. Kentucky is next best at 5-4

Kentucky is not 5-4 in conference road games. Their overall SEC record is 11-3. They cannot have lost four conference road games.

• Facepalm 1

Also different people value different things. I for one could care less about a regular season championship. Who remembers those? I don't mind a loss as long as it's teaching something to prepare you for the tournaments. 

Now I understand some other people may care and maybe that's why it's such an uproar to have a loss to them. I can only speak for myself and express how I don't care at all.

If it wasn't for the it's never been done before I wouldn't have cared about number 1. The exposure and the team learning how to carry expectations is good but besides that who cares? 

Like I said we have identified some areas we need to improve on and now we can go about doing that. It's not a big deal