Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

18 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

We are still one of the best teams in the country. But it’s hard to believe anyone that has watched this team all year could say we aren’t regressing. 

J. Smith has upped his scoring in recent games. Kessler is Kessler, very good if he can stay out of foul trouble, not so hot after he gets two or more fouls early.

Flanagan has declined in recent games. He was better three weeks ago. The injury shouldn't be causing that, except for some possible mental problem.

Zep is playing the same, but the other two guards have regressed. J. Smith is now our only acceptable 3-point shooter. The quality of passing is way down, turnovers are way up and in general, this team isn't playing as well as they were a few weeks ago. That's called regressing.

Right now we are still a top-10 team, top 2, not anymore. Obviously this can be turned around. Will it be turned around or will the back-sliding continue?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Kentucky is not 5-4 in conference road games. Their overall SEC record is 11-3. They cannot have lost four conference road games.

Did I say that just their conference road record is 5-4? No. That's their overall road record though.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

J. Smith has upped his scoring in recent games. Kessler is Kessler, very good if he can stay out of foul trouble, not so hot after he gets two or more fouls early.

Flanagan has declined in recent games. He was better three weeks ago. The injury shouldn't be causing that, except for some possible mental problem.

Zep is playing the same, but the other two guards have regressed. J. Smith is now our only acceptable 3-point shooter. The quality of passing is way down, turnovers are way up and in general, this team isn't playing as well as they were a few weeks ago. That's called regressing.

Right now we are still a top-10 team, top 2, not anymore. Obviously this can be turned around. Will it be turned around or will the back-sliding continue?

This. I don’t get why people can’t take an objective look at this team. Bruce would tell you this very thing . Maybe it’s just a streak and they will work out the bugs before March. 

• Like 3

I do hate that our "get right" next game at home is vs freaking ole miss and that annoying little pest Kermit who's defense always gives us fits. We won't be able to just get anything we want and have freedom on offense. It will be a grind it out game unfortunately and hard as hell to watch. We have to stay patient and not force the issue which will lead to a lot of turnovers. That obviously is what they want.

Can't wait for them to continue their streak of being the best team ever at throwing up crap with 1 second on the shot clock and making it..... That's just always so fun.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

They are the worst three point shooting team in the conference and they went 7 of 12 from three in the second half and NO

I didn’t say we gave up a lot of open three makes, just open attempts. Specifically to that Appleby guy, who seems like their only shooter

16 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Couldn't agree more especially in BB hell we must having something going on when their fans storm the court. How many times has that happen to Auburn. 

Point taken, but I'd prefer to not give them a reason to

I was only upset that we made the comeback only to crap the bed on final possession of half for the 3rd time in a row in that situation. And because I do want the regular season title all to ourselves.  To that end, better to lose to Florida since they are not in the race than say Tennessee. 

Anyone who can shoot lights out from 3 could give us trouble in Tourney.  For example, 1 mock tourney had us as 1 seed but in that bracket Iona was the 12. That's Rick Pitinos team.  If they made a run, could be a bit tough to meet up with.  Honestly haven't seen them much but Pitino always had lethal shooters.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grumps said:

The poster said that we would exit the SEC tourney and the NCAA tourney early. We won't play UK early in either tournament. Everyone is whining because we have lost two SEC games. We are in an amazing position and everyone is acting like we are in a freefall and may not win any more games. When you have unrealistic expectations you are far more likely to be disappointed. 

My post was opinion only. I think we are one of the best 10 teams in the country, but I also fear we peaked too early. I don’t think we are in a free fall as you stated, but I do think we are not quite as good as our ranking. I hope I’m wrong, so we can just wait and see, but a couple more losses will drop us from a 1 seed in the tourney most likely. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Sometimes it seems this team tries to play like the Harlem Globetrotters. JMO.

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

My post was opinion only. I think we are one of the best 10 teams in the country, but I also fear we peaked too early. I don’t think we are in a free fall as you stated, but I do think we are not quite as good as our ranking. I hope I’m wrong, so we can just wait and see, but a couple more losses will drop us from a 1 seed in the tourney most likely. 

When did we peak? We have not played well on the road all season. Again I think people are not differentiating between playing bad on the road which we def have not played well. Even in wins and not playing well in general. I do not think this team has come close to hit its peak. Wendell and KD are good shooters who have not shot well in the past month. WATCH OUT. If they start hitting their shots again?! OH BAY BAY it is on. We need them. When they hit three's it unlocks our whole offense.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

All it is, is we turn the ball over too much we are beatable. If not even when we play bad we still win. 

Just have to learn take care of the ball and if the 3 isn't falling either drive or be sure to get it to the guy who is hitting. That's it. Nobody plays awesome and error free the entire season.

2019 I was literally saying this exact same thing while people were saying Harper is losing his touch, chuma is too passive and not alpha enough. He's not ready for the NBA. Purifoy was destroying the team. Spencer didn't get it. Dunbar was too erratic and etc. Etc. 

Pearl can see everything we see, he'll have a plan.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

All it is, is we turn the ball over too much we are beatable. If not even when we play bad we still win. 

Just have to learn take care of the ball and if the 3 isn't falling either drive or be sure to get it to the guy who is hitting. That's it. Nobody plays awesome and error free the entire season.

2019 I was literally saying this exact same thing while people were saying Harper is losing his touch, chuma is too passive and not alpha enough. He's not ready for the NBA. Purifoy was destroying the team. Spencer didn't get it. Dunbar was too erratic and etc. Etc. 

Pearl can see everything we see, he'll have a plan.

So you are saying that Pearl was aware of Green's tendencies and still thought he was the best option at the end of the game? You must not have read all of the expert commentary on the game thread where Pearl cost us the game by not realizing that Green should have been on the bench.🤣🤣🤣

Obviously, once again I am joking. It just makes me really sad that so many Auburn fans seem to refuse to enjoy what may be the best basketball season of their lifetimes. This season has been AWESOME, and I expect it to get even better!

• Thanks 1

Personally I still think we have the best overall team in the country player wise and coaching wise. My biggest worry is all of a sudden we have some folks playing careless. Our TO rate has increase dramatically and it’s not from steals it’s from silly crap. Throwing the ball into the 6th row of fans. Doing cute behind the back dribbles that they lose control of. Some really pick-up team type silly mistakes. Surely Bruce is seeing this. And it’s a few bench folks mostly . My thought is they are trying to get more playing time but instead they are making their self look bad. If We don’t get that fixed quick we will not win the SEC or SEC tourney or last more than first round in the tourney . Bruce would be good to sit a couple until they get their minds in he right places. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

When did we peak? We have not played well on the road all season. Again I think people are not differentiating between playing bad on the road which we def have. Even in the road wins we have AND playing bad in general and overall. I do not think this team has come close to hit its peak. Wendell and KD are good shooters who have not shot well in the past month. WATCH OUT. If they start hitting their shots again?! OH BAY BAY it is on. We need them. When they hit three's it unlocks our whole offense.

Basketball fans understand. Football fans think you'll win them all. You just have to win the ones that count here. And I will never acknowledge that we lost to Virginia in the final 4. Ever. No team has ever been screwed harder in March Madness. 

I am still a bit bitter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In this second matchup between Kessler and Castleton, the first round pick hype surrounding Kessler may have been put into lesser and proper perspective.

In the first matchup at AU, Castleton dominated Kessler.  And in the 2nd matchup yesterday at Florida, Castleton thoroughly outplayed Kessler.

Yesterday's stat line:

Castleton: 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks.

Kessler: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 0 blocks.

Only 3 rebounds and no blocks for Kessler, even though he played a lot and was not in foul trouble?  Very telling.

Castleton (a senior) does not have the talent that Kessler has, but he has two more years experience than Kessler, and has benefited from 4 years of strength training.  He bullied Kessler yesterday.  Just like every NBA center will do next year if Kessler turns pro.

I love to watch strong low post play.  I love to watch Florida and Kentucky whenever they play, to see Castleton and Oscar play.  Except when they play against us.

Kessler would definitely benefit from another year at Auburn.  But I doubt he will stay another year.

Edited by MaxCohen216

I was so bummed after yesterday's loss.

We let a mediocre bubble team beat us, when we had a 9-point 2nd half lead, and Jabari was hot.

The last play was pathetic.  We had 9.9 seconds and did not even shoot the freaking ball.  Inexcusable.

Zep should have been in the game instead of Wendell on that play, IMHO.  Wendell was a big liability yesterday.  He only scored 5 points but shot like he was hot.

I don't see how anyone can say we haven't regressed lately.  We play bad games on the road at almost every opportunity.

All SEC Tournament games and NCAA Tournament games will be played outside The Jungle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I see the college basketball IQ for Auburn fans is still really really lacking. FOR THE 90239024902390239090 TIME ROAD GAMES AGAINST ANY QUALITY OF OPPONENT IS HARD AS HELL!!!! REPEAT AFTER ME!!!!!!! For the love of God when will some of you ever learn?!?!?! This is how college basketball has been since the beginning of time. No sport is more effected by home court advantage than mens college basketball. The faster some of yall realize that the better so we can quit the tongue mashing and the come to jesus moments and posts every road L. Road games are even harder this year because we are everyone's biggest game on the schedule. That was Florida's first sell out of the year and their only one for the whole season until Kentucky comes. They will have only 1 other crowd like that all season. This is NOT a veteran team and some of them have not been in road environments like this in 2 years if at all. 

Guess who still has the best conference road record?! DING DING that is right Auburn does at 7-2. Kentucky is next best at 5-4 and Arky is 4-3 while Rocky Top is 4-5. Everyone saying well Auburn has just not looked the same lately.... um we sure as hell did at home. 100 vs bama. 86 vs oklahoma. 75 vs TAMU and 94 vs Vandy. ALL wins by 14 or more. Not looking good on the road is very different from not looking good overall. There is a huge difference. Good thing the games that matter march is all on neutral floors. We are a combined 10-3 in away and neutral games combined. 

I appreciate this perspective friend. Thanks for your reminders & analysis. War Eagle!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

We let a mediocre bubble team beat us, when we had a 9-point 2nd half lead, and Jabari was hot.

The last play was pathetic.  We had 9.9 seconds and did not even shoot the freaking ball.  Inexcusable.

Zep should have been in the game instead of Wendell on that play, IMHO.  Wendell was a big liability yesterday.  He only scored 5 points but shot like he was hot.

I don't see how anyone can say we haven't regressed lately.  We play bad games on the road at almost every opportunity.

All SEC Tournament games and NCAA Tournament games will be played outside The Jungle.

We are 3-1 in neutral games and 7-2 in road games. All tournament games are on a neutral court. But we have played one game at the site of the SEC tournament. We will be okay.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grumps said:

We are 3-1 in neutral games and 7-2 in road games. All tournament games are on a neutral court. But we have played one game at the site of the SEC tournament. We will be okay.

I sure hope you're right.

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

So does almost every team. PLEASE PLEASE understand this. Teams are completely different in true road games. Road games in college basketball are the great equalizers. Yes and those teams will be playing away from their home venue as well. So do you think we have regressed when in the last month we have put up 100 on bama. 86 on Oklahoma. 75 on TAMU and 94 on Vandy?! Again you have to seperate road from home.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

So does almost every team. PLEASE PLEASE understand this. Teams are completely different in true road games. Road games in college basketball are the great equalizers. Yes and those teams will be playing away from their home venue as well. So do you think we have regressed when in the last month we have put up 100 on bama. 86 on Oklahoma. 75 on TAMU and 94 on Vandy?! Again you have to seperate road from home.

Thanks.  You make good points in all your posts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

In this second matchup between Kessler and Castleton, the first round pick hype surrounding Kessler may have been put into lesser and proper perspective.

In the first matchup at AU, Castleton dominated Kessler.  And in the 2nd matchup yesterday at Florida, Castleton thoroughly outplayed Kessler.

Yesterday's stat line:

Castleton: 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks.

Kessler: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 0 blocks.

Only 3 rebounds and no blocks for Kessler, even though he played a lot and was not in foul trouble?  Very telling.

Castleton (a senior) does not have the talent that Kessler has, but he has two more years experience than Kessler, and has benefited from 4 years of strength training.  He bullied Kessler yesterday.  Just like every NBA center will do next year if Kessler turns pro.

I love to watch strong low post play.  I love to watch Florida and Kentucky whenever they play, to see Castleton and Oscar play.  Except when they play against us.

Kessler would definitely benefit from another year at Auburn.  But I doubt that will happen.

Are you serious right now?! CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE NOTION that Castleton dominated Walker in the first matchup?! Kessler got in early foul trouble and sat most of the first half. Most of Castleton's points were on Cardwell. I love how you forget to mention how Kessler had 19 and 7 on 8 of 10 from the field vs the best big man in college basketball in Oscar from Kentucky. 

lol Walker is going to be most likely a first round pick. Why on earth should he come back? He absolutely should go. If you are a first round lock you absolutely need to go and Bruce will tell him the same thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Are you serious right now?! CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE NOTION that Castleton dominated Walker in the first matchup?! Kessler got in early foul trouble and sat most of the first half. Most of Castleton's points were on Cardwell. I love how you forget to mention how Kessler had 19 and 7 on 8 of 10 from the field vs the best big man in college basketball in Oscar from Kentucky. 

lol Walker is going to be most likely a first round pick. Why on earth should he come back? He absolutely should go. If you are a first round lock you absolutely need to go and Bruce will tell him the same thing.

Yes, I'm serious.  But I may be wrong as well.

First of all, in the matchup of Oscar vs. Kessler, KY had Oscar leave Kessler to help defensively on the perimeter, which left Kessler open and created lob-dunk after lob-dunk opportunities for Kessler.  Wide open lob dunks.  Good teams have game-planned for that since then.  And will continue to do so.

I was surprised yesterday when Castleton bullied Kessler.  Kessler has much more talent, but was pushed around by Castleton.  Because the Florida center has had 4 years of strength training, and pushed Kessler around like NBA centers would do next year.

But half the time, or more, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Did I say that just their conference road record is 5-4? No. That's their overall road record though.

Why yes, that their conference road record is 5-4 is exactly what you said.

QUOTE: "Guess who still has the best conference road record?! DING DING that is right Auburn does at 7-2. Kentucky is next best at 5-4."

Edited by Mikey