Baseball vs. Kansas State

And just like that KSU gets out of the inning.  I still worry about our offensive sitauational awareness and inability to move runners.  Dyal K's looking, LaRue does advance all three with a sac fly and then Howell grounds out to third, stranding runners at 2nd and 3rd.  

Middle of 1st, Auburn 1 - KSU 0

Bright gets the next two, then gives up an 0-2 single.  

Coach Nix used to make pitchers run a mile for time if they threw a strike in an 0-2 count. 

Watched a guy walk away from his scholarship over that once.

Back now for a minute.  Looks like Bright has been staying in the strike zone so far.  Auburn pitching gave up way too many walks in the first two games (12 total).

Edited by PowerOfDixieland

Live stats are locked up I guess.  Auburn apparently fianlly brought the hammer in the top of the fifth.

After five complete AU 11 - KState 1

Chase Allsup with an electric first appearance in an Auburn uniform.  96-97 mph on the fastball...three straight strikeouts...potential closer material for sure.

12-1 Auburn after six complete.

• Like 4

Strikeouts are a huge issue, IMO. It's early, though, so I'm hoping that improves but striking out 14 times against *this* pitching is really bad.

Edit: We ended the game with 17 strikes out against an abysmal pitching staff. That has to improve, plain and simple.

Edited by tgrogan21

28 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Strikeouts are a huge issue, IMO. It's early, though, so I'm hoping that improves but striking out 14 times against *this* pitching is really bad.

Well a few of those today were very questionable.  Ump had a strike zone that was all over the place.

• Like 1

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Well a few of those today were very questionable.  Ump had a strike zone that was all over the place.

Thanks for the info, didn't watch or listen so was just following along on StatBroadcast.

• Like 1

2-1 on the weekend is very good. Encouraged by the pitching. Gonzalez was a bright spot last year so glad to see him shove yesterday. And nice to see the bats wake up today, even though K. States pitching sucked!

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Long story short:

Auburn pitching good

Did Butch say why he only let Sheehan go one inning in game one?  I know he's coming off of TJ surgery, was that pre-determined?

Outside of the HR that Hayden Mullins gave up and the 15 walks issued, that pitching staff was mostly lights out. Allowed just five runs over three games.

35 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Did Butch say why he only let Sheehan go one inning in game one?  I know he's coming off of TJ surgery, was that pre-determined?

Outside of the HR that Hayden Mullins gave up and the 15 walks issued, that pitching staff was mostly lights out. Allowed just five runs over three games.

I haven't seen anything myself but Sheehan was struggling hard in the 1 inning he pitched. Threw 33 pitches and threw a lot of balls. I'm assuming it was that, the first game of the season, and him coming off of the surgery.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Don't know on Sheehan.  Would like that answer as well.