Men vs Ole Miss Game Thread

Maverick.AU

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like I said in the Florida thread.... A loss game thread got up to 25 plus pages. Arky game got upwards of 30. Another double dig SEC win only gets 9 pages?! SMH. WHAT ARE WE DOING?!?!

Im going to give us the benefit of the doubt for this one, and say one major factor is those were Saturday games vs midweek games.  
For example, I only got home in time to watch the second half of this one, whereas I watched all of Saturday’s game.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Im going to give us the benefit of the doubt for this one, and say one major factor is those were Saturday games vs midweek games.  
For example, I only got home in time to watch the second half of this one, whereas I watched all of Saturday’s game.

I was also at the game so only 2 posts. I’m normally good for 3 pages of posts lol 

• Haha 2

Glad we got the win but we sure looked bad at times getting it. Bruce was very clear after the game that we are not playing great basketball. This team needs to start taking that next step. It doesn't have to be in Knoxville on Saturday but it would be really cool if they do. I expect that one to be one hell of a fight. So far this season we have upped our game to match the top teams in the conference. 

• Like 2

Lol, so from the game last night he takeaway is Flannigan? If you think he was the worst player last night......I don't know what to tell you. There has been several guys who haven't been playing their best since we had this little bump. For whatever reason we are just focusing on one player. 

Maybe I missed it but people have been on him since he got here. What is it that some players get treated like him and purifoy. While other guys can't do wrong?

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol, so from the game last night he takeaway is Flannigan? If you think he was the worst player last night......I don't know what to tell you. There has been several guys who haven't been playing their best since we had this little bump. For whatever reason we are just focusing on one player. 

Maybe I missed it but people have been on him since he got here. What is it that some players get treated like him and purifoy. While other guys can't do wrong?

He does get an unfair focus. I will add that KD has been struggling just as much lately. But he has also had games this season where he has carried us and Flan has not. Not sure if that helps keep the focus off....i think KDs contributions on D are more visible and that probably helps him as well from fans perspective. 

And players in general get called out when production does meet expectations. All the players that you think get called out unfairly (Wiley, Purifoy, Flan) at some point had really high expectations that were not met. Nature of the beast in sports....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

He does get an unfair focus. I will add that KD has been struggling just as much lately. But he has also had games this season where he has carried us and Flan has not. Not sure if that helps keep the focus off....i think KDs contributions on D are more visible and that probably helps him as well from fans perspective. 

And players in general get called out when production does meet expectations. All the players that you think get called out unfairly (Wiley, Purifoy, Flan) at some point had really high expectations that were not met. Nature of the beast in sports....

I remember people unloading on flan but absolutely praising Powell when flan was the only guy playing unafraid and carrying us. He still was getting it. One time a poster pointed out how Powell wasn't a high rated recruit and I looked and flan wasn't either. Powell was ranked higher than he was. 

I will go with what you said about KD. I guess what flan does on defense isn't shown on a box score and isn't obvious if you don't know what to look for. That was the same with Wiley as well.......I don't know.

I sort of get tired of the everybody jump on one guy but everybody hates you if talk about this guy stuff.

That's part of the reason some hate me so. It's literallybecause I criticized a few that supposedly on here you can't talk aboutand I talked up some that people complain about. Didn't matter if I was right or wrong, or if I actually made sense or not. It's all about you better not go against the grain or you are the problem.

I have people that dislike my post to this day because of Powell. In reality nothing I said was wrong. Instead of man Cole was right about this it's damn he was right I hate him even more! 

You're right though, it's all part of the game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Glad we got the win but we sure looked bad at times getting it. Bruce was very clear after the game that we are not playing great basketball. This team needs to start taking that next step. It doesn't have to be in Knoxville on Saturday but it would be really cool if they do. I expect that one to be one hell of a fight. So far this season we have upped our game to match the top teams in the conference. 

Yeah outside of Zep maintaining his good first half, that wasn’t a very awe inspiring second half. I said I wouldn’t let that game get me high or low bc of it being at home, and I don’t think it really changed my perception on the team from last Saturday.  We got a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyt better shot than we had before if you can get some points out of Zep though  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah outside of Zep maintaining his good first half, that wasn’t a very awe inspiring second half. I said I wouldn’t let that game get me high or low bc of it being at home, and I don’t think it really changed my perception on the team from last Saturday.  We got a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyt better shot than we had before if you can get some points out of Zep though  

Zep stepping up was huge. We need another scoring threat and if Zep steps in that role then i am all for it. Hope he keeps looking for ways to score 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Got all the bases covered there.  😂

I do what I can...:laugh:

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

100% right.  Most of the team played like garbage.  I wanted to break my TV for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Zep had 15 pts last night; take 13 away so he only had 2 pts like his previous 4 games he played - then the game last night is a tight nail biter to the end.  We, as a whole, didn't play well like the losses and very close wins.  Zep was the difference without question.  When Flan gets back to his January form and Zep too, we will be back to a very very good to great team.  It will take a special effort from a talented team to best us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BRUUUUUUUCE on the Jalen and Jacoby show talking about BARI!!!! 

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

BRUUUUUUUCE on the Jalen and Jacoby show talking about BARI!!!! 

Auburn’s been “SEC leading” the entire 2021-22 conference season, led for most of 2017 and led for a good chunk of 2019. Outside of whatever happened in the middle of 2018, seems like we’ve pretty much led the SEC 80% of the time Pearl has had a real team 

• Love 2

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well look at that, still didn't shoot great but we took care of the ball pretty good and they couldn't beat us.....

Sign of a good team if you ask me.

Basketball is a simple game just like football and you nailed it. Shots may not always fall, but you can always hustle, bust your ass, play defense, take care of the basketball and hit your FREE throws. That will win you a lot of games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'd be very interested in reading your opinion on the state of Flannigan.  To a casual basketball fan like me, although an avid fan who watches a lot but doesn't know Xs and Os, it seems like he is hitting on 5 cylinders instead of 8.  Does he have time left to return to last year's form, which had him listed as a good NBA prospect?

Edited by MaxCohen216

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I'd be very interested in reading your opinion on the state of Flannigan.  To a casual basketball fan like me, although an avid fan who watches a lot but doesn't know Xs and Os, it seems like he is hitting on 5 cylinders instead of 8.  Does he have time left to return to last year's form, which had him listed as a good NBA prospect?

I'd be lying if I said I knew. If I had to guess I think it's a bunch of variables that's adding up making this a big problem. I think it's mental learning to trust his leg, I think it's physical still hurt a little and he didn't get to use his leg for a while so it's not as strong as it's going to be. I think he's adjusting to his new role, and even more so he didn't get to play with literally none of the other starters at all. That's huge and I haven't seen anybody else talk about that. 

And lastly he didn't get to work on his game. New body, new teammates, new role, new position didn't get to work on himself......this is major stuff that people seem to want  figured out in less than ten games

Tough mental situation to be in

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'd be lying if I said I knew. If I had to guess I think it's a bunch of variables that's adding up making this a big problem. I think it's mental learning to trust his leg, I think it's physical still hurt a little and he didn't get to use his leg for a while so it's not as strong as it's going to be. I think he's adjusting to his new role, and even more so he didn't get to play with literally none of the other starters at all. That's huge and I haven't seen anybody else talk about that. 

And lastly he didn't get to work on his game. New body, new teammates, new role, new position didn't get to work on himself......this is major stuff that people seem to want  figured out in less than ten games

Tough mental situation to be in

I wonder what he will do after this season - come back to AU or drudge thru the NBA G-League.

I predict we see one of Auburn’s best games of the season today. I think it’s building to that. UT will likely be game though with the way they are shooting the ball though. Can we guard the 3 ball and not keep throwing them up if we aren’t hitting them?

On 2/24/2022 at 3:50 AM, GwillMac6 said:

A loss game thread got up to 25 plus pages. Arky game got upwards of 30. Another double dig SEC win only gets 9 pages?! SMH. WHAT ARE WE DOING?!?! Auburn fans love misery.

I’m just giving you a heads up, my bro…..  I’m going to be at a baseball game during the game today, and I will likely only be able to check the gamecast from time to time.   I probably won’t get to post in the game thread at all, or very little.  

Hopefully, that means it will be a fairly comfortable win for us.  😁🤣👍🙌

WAR EAGLE!!!  Let’s go!!!

Edited by AUinMS9528