Traveling...

TigerPAC

21 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

In college ball, what exactly is considered (or the rule) on traveling now?   Rules are SO different now but seems guys walk all over and it’s never called. 

Many different forms. More than two steps, jumping up and coming down with the ball, shuffling or changing your pivot, shooting the ball and catching it without the ball being tipped or touched by the defense, and running the sideline when you are taking the ball out in certain situations. Dragging your pivot. Taking two jump stops in a row. Falling down and getting back up with the ball.

Edited by cole256

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Many different forms. More than two steps, jumping up and coming down with the ball, shuffling or changing your pivot, shooting the ball and catching it without the ball being tipped or touched by the defense, and running the sideline when you are taking the ball out in certain situations. Dragging your pivot. Taking two jump stops in a row. Falling down and getting back up with the ball.

Wow.  I'd hate to be a ref trying to see all of that and call it by the book in the heat of the game.  I think the hardest job in sports is being a good basketball ref.  The game is just so fast.

So, the rules haven’t really changed (except for the “jump stop”—-which was traveling when I was younger).  It’s just never called, kinda like ppl running red lights.  

Just like in the NBA, the pace of the game and level of athleticism make it very difficult to call it closely. As long as it isn't so glaring that the 98-year-old blind guy in the 14th row can't tell, they usually let it go.