Jump to content
Null

The 3 Point Shot Specialist Zep Jasper Finally Showed up


BHDAU1
 Share

Recommended Posts

How awesome was that? FINALLY the Zep Jasper that has shot around 35% to 40% his whole career from the 3 point line showed up last night and let 'em fly.  Seriously, if he can keep this going as Auburn finishes out the season we would be damn near unbeatable.  Up until last night, there was never much need for the opposing team to worry about any big offensive production from Jasper.  He pulls the trigger like that again in the next game or two with similar results and all of a sudden you have to have one of your best perimeter defenders sticking to him like glue all game long.  This opens things up even more for the big guys, and should keep opponents from doubling Jabari so much.  

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





24 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

How awesome was that? FINALLY the Zep Jasper that has shot around 35% to 40% his whole career from the 3 point line showed up last night and let 'em fly.  Seriously, if he can keep this going as Auburn finishes out the season we would be damn near unbeatable.  Up until last night, there was never much need for the opposing team to worry about any big offensive production from Jasper.  He pulls the trigger like that again in the next game or two with similar results and all of a sudden you have to have one of your best perimeter defenders sticking to him like glue all game long.  This opens things up even more for the big guys, and should keep opponents from doubling Jabari so much.  

It's not like he forgot how to shoot 3s, he just wasn't shooting enough in a game to really have an impact. He is one of those ultimate team players and I think he was okay with just letting the other guards shoot and getting the ball to Kessler and Jabari. IMO, he should be at worst the 4th scoring option on this team and the 2nd 3 point shooter behind Jabari. I hope the aggressiveness stays because if we can get 10 a night from him going forward that will make us really difficult to defend. I was so damn happy to see him ball out last night. He's been my favorite starter this season because he's the dude that doesn't get all the praise but deserves it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

I"...if we can get 10 a night from him going forward that will make us really difficult to defend. "

Last night he showed he was a clear perimeter threat; this will help stretch the defense out at times which should help out mid court and paint production. 

He clearly should be on the floor when the game is tight because he gives us defense and offense.  The more high percentage shooters we have on the floor will make us harder to defend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bet Cole was going "oh yea". I liked the set where one of the bigs (can't remember if it was Jabari or Walker) screened the defender and Jasper shot off the screen. Awesome play and execution.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always felt like he had the best shot form out of our guards (which doesn’t exactly translate to in game shooting) and he made a living off of taking difficult, contested shots at his old joint. I think him taking a confident not wide open three and being a real threat adds more dynamics to the team than just making the smart pass and then being tucked away into a corner for the rest of the possession 

One thing that you’d LIKE (emphasis like) to see translate from this game and the two games before the UF atrocity is the guards getting good looks off of the bigs creating things. Wendell had a butt naked open three, that he unfortunately missed, late in the 2nd half that was of that variety

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

It's not like he forgot how to shoot 3s, he just wasn't shooting enough in a game to really have an impact. He is one of those ultimate team players and I think he was okay with just letting the other guards shoot and getting the ball to Kessler and Jabari. IMO, he should be at worst the 4th scoring option on this team and the 2nd 3 point shooter behind Jabari. I hope the aggressiveness stays because if we can get 10 a night from him going forward that will make us really difficult to defend. I was so damn happy to see him ball out last night. He's been my favorite starter this season because he's the dude that doesn't get all the praise but deserves it.

THIS^^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I always felt like he had the best shot form out of our guards (which doesn’t exactly translate to in game shooting) and he made a living off of taking difficult, contested shots at his old joint. I think him taking a confident not wide open three and being a real threat adds more dynamics to the team than just making the smart pass and then being tucked away into a corner for the rest of the possession 

One thing that you’d LIKE (emphasis like) to see translate from this game and the two games before the UF atrocity is the guards getting good looks off of the bigs creating things. Wendell had a butt naked open three, that he unfortunately missed, late in the 2nd half that was of that variety

I'm fairly certain Bruce said earlier in the season that he felt like any shot Zep took he would make because that's how good he had been in practice. Zep has been way too unselfish while other players need to be way more unselfish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just hope that he keeps it up. Like I mentioned in the opening post, he has been around 35 to 40% from 3 point land his whole career.  If you can average 40% from 3 pointers that is considered really, really good.  Anything over 40% is elite. The best 3 point shooter of all time is Steve Kerr at like 44 or 45%.  Considering the abundance of talent around him Zep could get there if he keeps getting looks like last night. He was shooting 35% on teams where he was one of the leading scorers and was getting keyed in on by the opposing defenses. There is too much offensive talent on this team for that to happen to him.  What a great night he had and it came right when AU needed it.  I think that performance just made scouting Auburn ten times harder for AU's opponents.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not trying to pat my own back here, but I posted weeks ago that Zep should shoot more, if for nothing else than to give opposing defenses food for thought in their film sessions.  I had no idea he was a truly good shooter.

He's an almost mistake-free point guard, a lock down defender, and now a scoring threat?  If he can keep that triple threat going, look out.

I love Jabari and Kessler, but Zep is my favorite player on the team.

And I think the ball should be in his hands instead of Wendell's when setting up the final shot.  Zep always plays under control.

Edited by MaxCohen216
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I'm fairly certain Bruce said earlier in the season that he felt like any shot Zep took he would make because that's how good he had been in practice. Zep has been way too unselfish while other players need to be way more unselfish.

I could believe it with his form man. KD has a really good one too, just kinda mitigated by the difficulty of the threes he takes 

if we do get some inside outside play where Jaylin and Jabari’s are setting up KDs and Zeps, that should really change how these teams defend us. UTk for example, I think we need to avoid making that a our guards vs their guards thing

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need Zep and Jabari to both shoot the lights out tomorrow afternoon, and let Kessler do his thing owning the paint.   We need to win in Knoxville to stay ahead of UK.   Now, if Arky wanted to do us a favor, I wouldn’t complain.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could believe it with his form man. KD has a really good one too, just kinda mitigated by the difficulty of the threes he takes 

if we do get some inside outside play where Jaylin and Jabari’s are setting up KDs and Zeps, that should really change how these teams defend us. UTk for example, I think we need to avoid making that a our guards vs their guards thing

Fingers crossed that this one game will give him the confidence to realize we need him to be more aggressive. Jabari should still get the most shots but Zep should at minimum shoot 5-6 times a game even if it's just to keep the defense honest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could believe it with his form man. KD has a really good one too, just kinda mitigated by the difficulty of the threes he takes 

if we do get some inside outside play where Jaylin and Jabari’s are setting up KDs and Zeps, that should really change how these teams defend us. UTk for example, I think we need to avoid making that a our guards vs their guards thing

Someone definitely needs to tell KD that you don't have to dribble 3s times and let the defender get in your face before you shoot. 😂

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

We need Zep and Jabari to both shoot the lights out tomorrow afternoon, and let Kessler do his thing owning the paint.   We need to win in Knoxville to stay ahead of UK.   Now, if Arky wanted to do us a favor, I wouldn’t complain.   

It's going to be tough for the Wildcats to win at Arkansas without their biggest guard threats, and it looks like they may well be without Tyty and Wheeler again. Maybe they'll lose and we'll ALSO knock off the Vols, guaranteeing a regular season SEC championship. Sure would be nice...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kentucky has surprised me lately with their resiliency.  Haven't heard of their bench but they have had guys that don't play give them big games with those 2 out. That's scary if their bench starts deepening before the tourney. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Kentucky has surprised me lately with their resiliency.  Haven't heard of their bench but they have had guys that don't play give them big games with those 2 out. That's scary if their bench starts deepening before the tourney. 

I have thought the same thing. They will be more formidable in the tournaments because Tyty and Wheeler have been out, if the two get healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...