Saturday 2/26

AUinMS9528

2 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

I guess I am staying up later than usual.  This is an interesting game to watch.  If it holds, the AP pollsters are going to have to sort through a weekend mess

Yeah, it’s gonna be interesting Monday. 

Villanova also lost earlier in the week and only played once this week. 8 of the top 10 teams go down this week. Crazy Monday coming.

1. Auburn (best road loss) 2. Gonzaga 3. Duke 4. Arizona (Worst road loss) 5. Kentucky 6. Purdue 7. Baylor 8. Kansas 9. Providence 10. Villanova I'm sure Gonzaga will stay #1, Duke will go to #2, and Auburn will stay #3 but this is how I see it after a crazy day.

Auburn still has the best losses out of any team, only losing by a total of 16 points in their 4 losses, all of them on the road. We haven't been blown out once like every other team on this list.

7 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Villanova also lost earlier in the week and only played once this week. 8 of the top 10 teams go down this week. Crazy Monday coming.

1. Auburn (best road loss) 2. Gonzaga 3. Duke 4. Arizona (Worst road loss) 5. Kentucky 6. Purdue 7. Baylor 8. Kansas 9. Providence 10. Villanova I'm sure Gonzaga will stay #1, Duke will go to #2, and Auburn will stay #3 but this is how I see it after a crazy day.

Auburn still has the best losses out of any team, only losing by a total of 16 points in their 4 losses, all of them on the road. We haven't been blown out once like every other team on this list.

And yet (according to someone on another thread) Lunardi dropped us to a #2 seed in his projections. That is hilarious! I can't wait for the experts to see the SEC teams (especially us) embarrass their top ranked teams.

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

And yet (according to someone on another thread) Lunardi dropped us to a #2 seed in his projections. That is hilarious! I can't wait for the experts to see the SEC teams (especially us) embarrass their top ranked teams.

That was me that posted that as well. I find it absolutely insane that Auburn would be the only team to get penalized for their loss.

• Like 1

I agree! (although I am admittedly biased).  AU should be #1.   We lost 2 OT games, a 1point loss, and a 5 point loss to high ranked teams on the road!!!   Every other team has more losses, worse losses, or both!   We’ve got some pretty good wins too.   With our defense and front court, we have the unique ability to shoot terribly, and still win or stay really close.   Very few other teams can do that!

I don't think we should be #1. We haven't played like it lately, even in the wins. But #2 sounds right.  I'll take #1 though. I just hope we win the last 2 as a #1 seed should. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I don't think we should be #1. We haven't played like it lately, even in the wins. But #2 sounds right.  I'll take #1 though. I just hope we win the last 2 as a #1 seed should. 

In a normal year I agree with you that this team isn't #1. This year, is not the same, though. Looking at the top 13 AP, every single team except 3 (Duke, Auburn, Texas Tech) have lost by double-digits at least once this year. Baylor, Villanova, Duke, Kansas, Purdue, and Wisconsin have all lost at home. There is no dominant team and the one that looks the most dominant by metrics, Gonzaga, just lost double digits to 1 of the 2 good teams they play in conference. Now, I have no qualms about us being #2 or #3. I just don't think anyone can look at our resume which should be a full season breakdown, not just a couple of weeks, and say that we're not a #1 seed. All I know is March is going to be super crazy this season because there are so many good teams that can win it all.

I think reality is that we drop a spot to #5, getting passed by Baylor in the AP.   Our seed will be determined by what we do in the last 2 games and the conference tourney.  We could wind up #1 overall to a 3 seed depending on how it goes.  Gotta beat the other conference big dogs at a neutral site if want to hang on to a 1 seed. Can't overlook Miss State on the road again though.

50 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

In a normal year I agree with you that this team isn't #1. This year, is not the same, though. Looking at the top 13 AP, every single team except 3 (Duke, Auburn, Texas Tech) have lost by double-digits at least once this year. Baylor, Villanova, Duke, Kansas, Purdue, and Wisconsin have all lost at home. There is no dominant team and the one that looks the most dominant by metrics, Gonzaga, just lost double digits to 1 of the 2 good teams they play in conference. Now, I have no qualms about us being #2 or #3. I just don't think anyone can look at our resume which should be a full season breakdown, not just a couple of weeks, and say that we're not a #1 seed. All I know is March is going to be super crazy this season because there are so many good teams that can win it all.

Just to clarify, I fully agree with us being a 1 seed. I was saying #2 or 3 in the polls. 

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Just to clarify, I fully agree with us being a 1 seed. I was saying #2 or 3 in the polls. 

Oh, I know. I was just explaining the reasoning a bit more for people who keep being so down on a couple of losses. :)

• Like 1