Men vs Tennessee Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

All I can say is....if you are going to dance on their logo, you better f*cking win.  😡

Did they dance on the logo again?

Just now, EagleEye67 said:

All I can say is....if you are going to dance on their logo, you better f*cking win.  😡

Agreed. And if you can’t hit regular 3 pt’ers, don’t shoot from the logo either.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

I was about to post something similar! Just stop it! If I was Bruce I'd tell them no more, that they've lost the right to do that!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I don't have a problem that we lost (on the road against a good team); rather, I have a problem with how we lost.

We played out of control and downright SELFISH at the guard position, forcing way too may shots early in the shot clock, and turning the ball over way too much.

This has been a pattern lately.

Yes, when Wendell and KD have high-scoring games, it's easy to crown them.  But when we face good teams on a neutral court, selfish guard play will produce the same results as tonight.

#FACTS 

I love this team A LOT. I'm completely fine that this team isn't high scoring and leans on defense. 

But I'm taking Harper and Brown every day of the week. And a healthy Chuma. 

Hopefully, we'll use our last game and conference tourney to get back to where we were. They're are so many teams that could win it all this year IMO. So, that's why i'm still very confident. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is Bruce Pearl BASKETBALL dating back to Tennessee days. I am not getting down on him or the team, but this will be and always will be how his team operates. It is very Mike D'antoni like at times. It is an exciting brand of basketball that can be successful in spurts, but can it get you over the hump? I do not know. I feel like teams with just as much talent and more discipline will always be a catch for a style like that UNLESS they stay on a streak with threes. The pace IMO should flow through Jabari. That kid game translates so well to the NBA. I cannot wait to see what he becomes. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

We have lost 4 games by a total of 16 points, 3 of those being true road losses and all away from home. Getting killed on the offensive glass did us in today but sketchy guard play is the constant. I wish this was fixable but in-game coaching could make a difference here IMO

Could be a chicken and egg thing, Wendell taking these shots leads to others not, but I just don’t think there’s enough guys part of the offense equation on the road. KD is going to always chip in something, Jabari has gotten his shots as of late, who can you spur more out of in order to lessen those Wendell shots? The pick and roll has been largely gone for a month plus, so there’s not a ton you can do with Dylan. Devan probably shouldn’t be allowed to shoot (from anywhere honestly). Just doesn’t seem like it’s in Zep’s nature to put himself out there, certainly hasn’t been in conference play 

Thats why you had to have so much of Flanigan 2-3 weeks ago. I would honestly suggest you have a better chance at getting something positive out of both of them ball handling in these tough performances than only one of them doing it. And I don’t think Wendell is at this point in his development where he should be the sole playmaker, that’s something the coaches and conditions have put on to him 

30 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I don't have a problem that we lost (on the road against a good team); rather, I have a problem with how we lost.

We played out of control and downright SELFISH at the guard position, forcing way too may shots early in the shot clock, and turning the ball over way too much.

This has been a pattern lately.

Yes, when Wendell and KD have high-scoring games, it's easy to crown them.  But when we face good teams on a neutral court, selfish guard play will produce the same results as tonight.

I don’t like how we lost either. I’ll admit I haven’t read every post. My post about spoiled fans is directed at the ones stating we’re exiting the tourney early, our guards suck, etc. I’m not pleased with todays result but doesn’t change my opinion that this is a good team that can make a deep run. 

Just now, MaxCohen216 said:

Our terrible, selfish, me-ball guard play sure makes it seems like the sky is falling.

If anyone should be playing me-ball, it’s Jabari. He’s literally the only one on the court to play that way and back it up.  

• Like 1

Just now, MaxCohen216 said:

Our terrible, selfish, me-ball guard play sure makes it seems like the sky is falling.

Not to me it doesn’t. We outshot UT today. Sure a couple less turnovers wouldn’t hurt but it was UT’s offensive rebounding (or our lack of defensive rebounding) that lost us the game today. 

Their defense was phenomenal.  Bruce didn’t have anything to call, that was even close to working. Out-coached.  They had us flummoxed. We shot poorly because they gave us nothing.  They out-hustled us. We were sluggish and slow. And sloppy. And selfish. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

We dance on the logo no matter the game, stop listening to the media pushing this auburn villain narrative 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Oh, come on.  Wendell took me-ball shot after me-ball shot all game long, while KD did some of the same, plus tried to drive through 5 defenders to the basket.

Guard play is much too erratic to make a deep run in April.  And Bruce just won't stop it.  He freely lets them play me-ball.

We don't have a Jared Harper on the team.

You’re right, we don’t have a Jared Harper on this team. We have a Jabari Smith and a Walker Kessler. Our guard play will improve by leaps and bounds on neutral courts. 

Again, we outshot UT. We had fewer turnovers than UT. Sure we may have won if Wendell had a better shooting night but a team will never win a game, let alone a road game, when they’re outrebounded by 23. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BigSammyK said:

You’re right, we don’t have a Jared Harper on this team. We have a Jabari Smith and a Walker Kessler. Our guard play will improve by leaps and bounds on neutral courts. 

Again, we outshot UT. We had fewer turnovers than UT. Sure we may have won if Wendell had a better shooting night but a team will never win a game, let alone a road game, when they’re outrebounded by 23. 

Personally looking back, I think Kessler might've been lazy bc he was worried about getting called for fouls, still tho, don't like seeing that from Kessler with the way he's played this season 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

We dance on the logo no matter the game, stop listening to the media pushing this auburn villain narrative 

looks better when you win, though.     Just a thought. 

• Like 1