Recruiting Insider: Keith Niebuhr

toddc

Just now, bigbird said:

This is what I'm waiting for before a true evaluation of his recruiting abilities. Believe it or not, CBH had to completely build a recruiting department. Not a new one, an actual department with defined roles and responsibilities with clear directives. Since then, there has been a ton of behind the scenes work done for the '23 class.

So I remember when it was coming together a few sites talked about how it was so much bigger and well run than Gus's.  But recently, I've seen a few people mention our recruiting expenditures have gotten smaller under Harsin.  Not sure if that's staff/trips/events/etc.  I haven't seen an article, just talk

Just now, W.E.D said:

recently, I've seen a few people mention our recruiting expenditures have gotten smaller under Harsin. 

That would make sense with the inability to make visits or bring in visitors for half his tenure.  I'd expect a much larger expenditure this cycle... hopefully.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

So I remember when it was coming together a few sites talked about how it was so much bigger and well run than Gus's.  But recently, I've seen a few people mention our recruiting expenditures have gotten smaller under Harsin.  Not sure if that's staff/trips/events/etc.  I haven't seen an article, just talk

What I remember that I saw was our expenditures were less than some of our main competitors, not less than AU in past.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is what I'm waiting for before a true evaluation of his recruiting abilities. Believe it or not, CBH had to completely build a recruiting department. Not a new one, an actual department with defined roles and responsibilities with clear directives. Since then, there has been a ton of behind the scenes work done for the '23 class.

Gus didn't have a recruiting department with roles and Objectives? Surely u jest

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Gus didn't have a recruiting department with roles and Objectives? Surely u jest

I think the off-field staff was considerably smaller and that the offers and whatnot had to be approved by Gus first.

27 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

I think the off-field staff was considerably smaller and that the offers and whatnot had to be approved by Gus first.

I would think all offers have to be approved by every head coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddc said:

I would think all offers have to be approved by every head coach.

Let me rephrase. I remember reading somewhere on this board that Gus had a list of who to offer and recruit and that is what the staff went off of.

48 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

A 10% across the board cut in every flipping sport 3 yrs ago could've easily contributed to a shrinking of the staff.   Add in the covid capacity reductions to our sporting events in 2020 which seriously had an impact on the 2020-2021 revenue stream even with the SEC giving each program a $40mm parachute to help with finances and I'm not one bit surprised that the off-the-field staff had to be reduced. 

I'm glad to see the program beefing up again. 

Just now, JerryAU said:

A 10% across the board cut in every flipping sport 3 yrs ago could've easily contributed to a shrinking of the staff.   Add in the covid capacity reductions to our sporting events in 2020 which seriously had an impact on the 2020-2021 revenue stream even with the SEC giving each program a $40mm parachute to help with finances and I'm not one bit surprised that the off-the-field staff had to be reduced. 

I'm glad to see the program beefing up again. 

Could be, but no. The off-field staff wasn't reduced due to anything outside of the HC. Gus designed and set it up specifically his way.  CBH was dumfounded when he saw what was in place for the off-field staff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

Let me rephrase. I remember reading somewhere on this board that Gus had a list of who to offer and recruit and that is what the staff went off of.

I remember reading that Kevin Steele had carte blanc with his own evaluations and offers and & Gus was the "go-to" on all offensive prospects.  And why not, Gus was the HC & acting OC for his time here. :gofig:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Could be, but no. The off-field staff wasn't reduced due to anything outside of the HC. Gus designed and set it up specifically his way.  CBH was dumfounded when he saw what was in place for the off-field staff.

Don't yall remember how folks were saying Gus was paranoid.  This bears that out. Small circle

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 3:05 PM, bigbird said:

I can believe that about Harsin being dumbfounded by what he walked into. I do believe he underestimated the importance of recruiting in the South, versus what he was used to, but that’s hardly a reason to run a guy off after 1 season, when we were mediocre for at least half of the eight years under GM. I think it’s a learning curve and though I was disappointed over 2021 and shared my thoughts on that on this board, I never thought he should have been fired or put through the crap he and his family were. I’m going into 22 with similar expectations, but if even 50% of what the rumors are concerning recruiting, turn out to be true,as far as landing positions of need,  then I could begin to see what he’s building towards. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for a few recruiting cycles. That’s my take on it anyway. We weren’t exactly trending up under the last regime! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1